For readers of French Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » For readers of French « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   

The French edition of F&SF, called Fiction has launched (or technically relaunched, since there was a long-running version of Fiction previously). I got copies of issue #1 today and it's very good looking. The Website doesn't show the magazine, but you can read more about it here: http://www.moutons-electriques.com/aff_liste_fic.php

Encourage your friends in the French-speaking world to subscribe!

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   

I didn't know that there was a French edition of F&SF. Very cool!

Rob Darnell
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 04:35 pm:   

And why is it called Fiction instead of Fantasy & Science Fiction? It's the same magazine, right?

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 06:09 pm:   

Like all the foreign editions, it's not 100% identical to the US edition. Fiction has a nice variety of European contributors to it, writers I don't yet know, like Juan Miguel Aguilera, Jim Dedieu, Roland Fuentes, and Marie-Pierre Najman. Our Israeli edition, by contrast (which is called The Tenth Dimension,) usually has several Israeli writers in each issue.

I don't know much about the origins of the first incarnation of Fiction, but according to the Encyclopedia of SF, it was launched in 1953 by Editions Opta. I'm sure they had good reasons then for calling it Fiction. I'm pretty sure the Andre-Francois Ruaud and the other people involved in the relaunch wanted to recapture the feel (and the audience) of the magazine's first incarnation.

Rob Darnell
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   

Ah, so it's not just a case of translating the US version to French and whatever. To me, it sounds like a completely different magazine. I suppose you don't have a hand in editing these editions. But because they are (and the reason is beyong me) foreign editions of F&SF, does that mean you own them?

andre-francois ruaud
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:52 am:   

Hello, I'm the French editor of F&SF, of which this foreign edition in titled Fiction for historical reasons. Fiction existed from 1953 to 1989, and was one of the main pillars of SF in France during all those years. So, when the idea of launching a new periodical support for short stories, we decided immediately to contact Gordon, in order to see if it was still possible to create a foreign edition of F&SF. And we do try as muc as possible to recapture boith the feel of F&SF and of the old Fiction.

Rob Darnell
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 02:43 am:   

Thank you, Andre. It makes sense now. But shoot, I wish you and Gordon were combining these stories and translating them so we in the states can read the French stories and you in France can read the English stories. Same with every other foreign edition. It'd certainly give us an idea of what you guys write, but I suppose each issue would be too thick.

andre-francois ruaud
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 03:33 am:   

Well, in France we do read the English stories: the idea of a foreign edition of F&SF is that we select and translate into French some stories originally published in F&SF (in the first Fiction that's stories by Le Guin, Ford, Bisson, McMullen, Kushner and Utley). But, we can't publish only that: French readers and writers would killed us if we didn't also publish European authors, of course. Which is why in our first volume, there's also one story from Spain and two stories from France, as well as five short-shorts from France too. In volume tow, there'll be at least two French storiesand one danish.

Rhys
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 07:24 am:   

Good to see you here, Andre!

Thomas R.
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   

Neat to learn of this, good luck in the endeavor.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 07:42 am:   

Thanks, Thomas---and thank you for being civil in all your posts on the board. I can't say that I blame you for leaving and for dropping your F&SF subscription, but I want you to know that I appreciate your willingness to offer your views while still maintaining a responsible level of discourse.

(I'm posting over here in hopes---probably vain---of getting the message through without incurring more nonsense.)

Steven Utley
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   

This week's mail has brought me copies of Fiction, containing the impressive-looking textually dense French translation of my story "A Paleozoic Palimpsest," the June and July issues of Asimov's Science Fiction -- each containing a poem by moi -- and the July F&SF, featuring my story "Promised Land." I seem to be on a roll.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 06:16 am:   

Issue #4 of FICTION is out, with stories by Alex Irvine, Frederic Jaccaud, Esther Friesner, Xavier Maumejean, Jeff Ford, and others.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   

FICTION has posted an issue online. You can find it here: http://www.moutons-electriques.com/virtuel.php?n=2

Daniel Ausema
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:30 pm:   

That's great--I can barely bludgeon my way through French, but I downloaded it anyway just to see how it feels to (attempt to) read. :-)

Daniel P. Haeusser
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:36 pm:   

This seems like a relevant place to stick this question:
For stories written in English that are subsequently published in foreign editions, do the authors ever have input in the translation if they speak the language? For instance, I speak French, and if I were published and had a story selected for a French magazine I would be leery to translate it myself, but would want to verify the translation choices of a third party.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 06:16 am:   

No, typically the authors have no input into their translations.

Daniel P. Haeusser
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 09:28 am:   

Thank you for the answer. That's what I expected, but it's still somewhat disappointing.

Summer
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 08:11 pm:   

Gordon, thank you for posting the link to Fiction. I used to be quite fluent in French, having studied it from the age of 13 to 18, and in college I occasionally read books in the language in an effort to maintain that fluency despite no longer taking French classes. One of my favorite experiences was the time when I managed to find a rather thick anthology of French science fiction in the library at my community college (alas, I no longer remember the title; this was nearly a quarter-century ago). Needless to say, I truly enjoyed reading it.

These days, my French is very rusty, and I've been toying with the idea of going back to looking for French-language material to read for enjoyment as a means to jogging my linguistic memory. I do believe that Fiction online will serve nicely in this regard.

Thanks again!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register