The Growlimb Jan 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Issues - Tables of Contents, Discussion » The Growlimb Jan 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andy Buschmann
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 05:49 pm:   

Editor Van Gelder,
Has Michael Shea won an award for this story?
If not- there is no justice!

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:22 pm:   

As far as I know, the story won no awards and I don't think it has ever been reprinted.

Charlie Finlay
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:40 pm:   

I can't figure out why Shea isn't more appreciated than he is. I couldn't name three horror stories creepier than "The Autopsy" if I tried. His Nifft the Lean stories are some of my favorite S&S (even if they don't hold up quite as well at book length), and I will add that nobody does giant bugs as convincingly or with as much fun. I wouldn't mind seeing more of those in F&SF or elsewhere. "The Extra" prefigures and predicted all the current reality TV years in advance. I'm baffled that one hasn't been reprinted. And "Polyphemus" is still one of my favorite aliens, even if the last couple paragraphs fall flat for me. He may not be prolific, but he's brilliant.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 09:50 pm:   

Michael is one of the finest living horror writers, and as action-packed dark S&S goes, it doesn't get much better than THE A'RAK. He's got a few unpublished horror novels that I know of--MOMMA DURTT, CANNYHARME and APRICOT BRANDY (I might have the title of that one wrong...maybe it's PEACH BRANDY). Cross your fingers.

I must say that Laird Barron's work reminds me very much of early Shea. Which is to say, damn. Good.

Sheafan
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:51 pm:   

According to Shea's website, "The Growlimb" will be appearing in the next MAMMOTH BOOK OF BEST NEW HORROR, edited by Stephen Jones.

Charlie Finlay
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 07:43 am:   

Marc, I wasn't as completely taken with THE A'RAK as you, but I thought Shea was smart to swap out Nifft's barbarian sidekick for the smartass woman wagonmaster, and the end piece against the giant spidery A'rak was terrific. It's definite must reading for anyone who likes S&S, dark or otherwise. I hope he finds a publisher for his horror novels. He might make a big enough splash if they all came out close together.

Sheafan, that's great news. Thanks.

Michael Samerdyke
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 09:37 am:   

"The Growlimb" was a terrific story. I couldn't put it down. Going back into the 80s, "Polyphemus" is also very good, and one Shea story that really set me on fire was "Fill It With Regular."

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 03:39 pm:   

I love the part in THE A'RAK where Nifft comes across the spider whispering to its victim. That sort of little detail, and then the final battle, made it a stand-out book for me. And THE MINES OF BEHEMOTH for the seething landscapes of Hell.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 09:44 pm:   

My favorite of Shea's is the novella I, Said the Fly. Truly creepy.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 09:47 pm:   

Charlie, not to downplay "The Extra" but Sheckley and others prefigured reality tv in stories and novels way way before Shea.

And I published a story by Cynthia Bunn called "The Hitmaker" about reality tv in OMNI in 1981.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   

"I, Said the Fly" was only in one of your Book of Omni collections, wasn't it? It's very hard to find at this point.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 04:13 am:   

It's also been published as a chapbook, hc and pb. Probably available on ABE.

Charlie Finlay
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 06:06 am:   

Ellen, I don't mind being corrected on something like that. I haven't read any of the earlier stories (Sheckley is a big gap in my reading which I need to remedy), so the Shea stands out for me. Have you reprinted any of the other stories at Sci Fiction Classics? I'll have to see if I can't find "I, Said the Fly" and read it.

Marc, yeah, that's a great scene. The other part in THE A'RAK that's most vivid to me, something like five years after reading it, is the account of the A'rak's journey to earth. It was Lovecraftian, but also oddly affecting. On the whole, I thought THE MINES OF BEHEMOTH was a smoother read, but they're both very good books. I was thinking back on how long it's been since I've read his work, and it's surprising to me how vividly Shea's stories stay in my head years after reading them.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   

Hi Charlie,
Yup. Kate Wilhelm's "Baby, You Were Great" --I don't recall the original ub date of the story. But it's no longer on our site--we had limited rights. Sorry.

S. Hamm
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 04:12 pm:   

Charlie,

"I, Said the Fly" can be purchased through Shea's website in a limited, autographed, illustrated edition. (It's quite pricy, though.)

Sheckley's "The Prize of Peril" is in the May 1958 F&SF, which I'm sure you have been meaning to get around to. It was filmed in France as Le Prix du Danger and in America, rather less successfully, as The Running Man.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 04:23 pm:   

The Running Man was based on a story by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman), though the plots sound very similar.

S. Hamm
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   

JJA,

Sorry. Sometimes I get a little too dry for the house.

JJA
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   

Ack. Sometimes I get a little too dense. My bad.

S. Hamm
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 06:00 pm:   

'Sa'right, as Baba Louie used to say. Do you think you can talk your boss into doing a special Sheckley issue?

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 05:10 pm:   

I think a special Sheckley issue is a great idea, though we'd probably need a fabulous new novella by him to do it. Hopefully he'll recover soon and get back to writing.

On another note, I was bummed to see I don't have the May '58 F&SF with "The Prize of Peril" in it. I have most of the other '58 issues, but not that one.

andr-francois ruaud
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 02:28 am:   

Bob Sheckley never saw "Le prix du danger", the french movie based on his story "The prize of peril", until last summer - learning that he had never seen it, we rented the movie while Bob was in Lyons and showed it to him.

E Thomas
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 10:52 am:   

I couldn't remember which story this was, but I went back and looked it up. It definitely gave me the creeps! Good horror story.

R.Wilder
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

This is one of my favorite stories from "F&SF" since I subscribed three years ago. Creepy, for sure. It also had me on the edge of my proverbial seat, too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register