Does anyone recognize this story? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Identifying Old Stories » Does anyone recognize this story? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 06:11 pm:   

It ran ages ago, probably early 90s. That story gave me goose bumps! The author was a woman. The story started out with one little boy afraid to go home, because he was in trouble, so he spent the night with his friend who took all of his beatings for him. It went on to describe the destruction of the crops by locusts and the frogs. That night the mom put a mark on the door with blood. It was one of those slow things, that realized what the story was, and that the bad boy survived, because he spent the night with the Jewish family. I think it was called "A Day in the Neighborhood."

Thomas R
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 08:44 pm:   

GVG:ages ago, probably early 90s

TR: Wow, you might be as "young" as me. (I must be going to weird places because I'm often the "young one" on forums I go to, even though I'm almost 30)

That's not the kind of story I'd try, but I've looked up that title to see if I could find it. Nothing was a complete match though. Here are some partial matches around the time period you describe.

A Day in the Country (1986) by Steve Millhauser
A Day in the Life...(1994) by Brian Lumley
A Day in the Life(1994) by Robert M Dines
A Day in the Life by Laurie Anne Gilman
A Day in the Life by F Paul Wilson
Day of Reckoning by Patricia Highsmith
There Goes the Neighborhood by Jerry Oltion
There Goes the Neighborhood by Michael Thomas Dillon
Neighborhood Watch by Andrew Neiderman
Neighborhood Watch by Ann K. Schwader
Neighborhood Watch by Duncan Adams

Apparently the words "neighborhood" or the phrase "a day in the" create a vortex where authors become incapable of thinking of an original title. Especially as even the exact title "A Day in the Neighborhood" got me nothing at the places I checked.

Going by the description itself I'd have no idea. Therefore it might be none of these. So I'm likely wasting your time, but maybe it'll spark something somewhere.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   

From the way you describe it, that sounds like a story I would like to read.

C. Pearson
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 12:15 am:   

"Apparently...the phrase "a day in the" create a vortex where authors become incapable of thinking of an original title."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn should sue them all for skimming off the title of his book "A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich". At the very least he shuld write a 700+ page book on the issue. :-)

MarcL
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 01:18 am:   

I'm still dealing with "ages ago...early 90s..." You mean, 1890s?

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 04:26 am:   

Thomas and Marc---

This story request comes from an F&SF reader who sent it by email---the phrase "ages ago" is hers, not mine. I mean, I still remember this weird novel I read in the early '90s about a baby born live on TV named Kalpurnia, no, Kalifernia . . . something like that.

Lola
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 11:18 am:   

I believe the story you are looking for is by Esther Friesner and is called "The Curse of Psahmlakithotep" - it was in the May 1990 edition.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register