Trying to find story with Ambrose Bie... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Identifying Old Stories » Trying to find story with Ambrose Bierce as subject « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

adam
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 08:32 am:   

Hello,
Has anyone ever read the story that purports to be a lost manuscript from Bierce, written after he vanished into Mexico, detailing how he found a castle with vampires, who cured his asthma with a bizarre inhaler and gave him semi-magical massage, all to "fatten him up"?
The story opens with the narrator finding the manuscript of "Bierce's" tale rolled up in the inhaler.

I am sorry but I cannot remember the author.
I had it in an "Alfred Hitchcock presents" anthology, as far as I can remember.

Ahmed A. Khan
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 08:47 am:   

It is "The Oxoxoco Bottle" by Gerald Kersh.

Best.

Ahmed
http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/fictiononline/myworks.html

MarcL
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 09:51 am:   

Wow, that sounds awesome. I have a couple Kersh collections somewhere...must see if I missed it.

Synchronistically, this being the F&SF thread, I was only yesterday thinking about another old favorite, "A Collector of Ambroses" by Arthur Jean Cox (F&SF, Sept. 1971).

des
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   

Perhaps relevant to the above, have you seen this on the Internet:

"Brigid Brophy insists he [Ambrose Bierce] did not die but merely came back again when the world was more ready for his wild, stylistic experiments. According to Brophy, he now writes under the nom de plume of "Jorge Luis Borges." (Actually, since Borges died recently, I suppose that must mean Bierce finally did, too.)"

MarcL
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 09:38 pm:   

I consider that mildly insulting to Bierce, Borges, and the infinite ability of the universe to generate remarkable prose stylists.

des
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 06:25 am:   

We all feed off the Jungian 'collective unconscious', in any event. ;-)
des

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:58 am:   

Perhaps young Borges dined on the corpse of Bierce: "I especially enjoyed the middle toe of the right foot!"

Michael Samerdyke
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   

Gerald Kersh was a very interestng writer. The stories of his that made it into the Hitchcock anthologies, like "Oxoxoco Bottle" and "Men Without Bones" were very grim and chilling.

Curiously, one of my favorite films noir, "Night and the City" with Richard Widmark and directed by Jules Dassin, was based on a novel by Gerald Kersh. I would never have connected the short stories and the movie.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 01:24 pm:   

Kersh also wrote one of my favorite comic novels: FOWLER'S END. And a top-notch superspy thriller: THE SECRET MASTERS.

adam
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 05:11 pm:   

Thank you, Ahmed.
I have found a volume containing it at a near-by library and will renew my acquaintance.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register