An idea you may want to consider Gord... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Issues - Tables of Contents, Discussion » An idea you may want to consider Gordan, or not. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 10:33 am:   

I was thinking that if you sent the Late Show a copy of the march issue Dave might get a kick out of Gary Shockly's story, and mention it on-air with a copy of the mag. This would get the mag a little exposure and some imaginative and intelligent people watching may get curious and go out and by a copy.

StephenB
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 10:38 am:   

Oh, and sorry for spelling your name wrong in the title.:-)

StephenB
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 05:56 am:   

No dice? I think it'd be funny at least. He may not like it, but whatever, there's always a chance considering his humor. But it's a stretch to think it'd go anywhere.

Patrick M.
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 05:57 am:   

You could send a copy to them. :-)

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 04:31 am:   

I've got no problem sending a copy of the issue to David Letterman, just haven't had time recently to dig up his address.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 09:00 pm:   

If you want to write to Dave Letterman or the crew, you can do it with one of two ways. The first is e-mail. Their address is lswdl@aol.com. Second is snail-mail. The address is as follows:

David Letterman
Ed Sullivan Theater
1697 Broadway
New York, NY 10019

Actually, any one of you out there (including, yours truly) can send a copy of that March issue of F&SF to "The Late Show with David Letterman", and not necessarily just rely on Gordon or someone from his staff to do so. But chances are one-in-a-zillion that Dave will read it even if you do, due to the enormous amount of mail (both electronic and snail) that he receives each day.

Perhaps a better idea would be to send an issue with a political piece (Perhaps the September 2004 issue of F&SF with that fine piece of social speculation "Peter Skilling", by Alex Irvine in it), to "The Russ Limbaugh Show". ;-D

JJA
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 05:06 am:   

Thanks for tracking that down, Alan.

Dave
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 06:08 am:   

I loved the story. I think that someone on Letterman's staff will read it, enjoy it and pass it on to him.

If Letterman did the kind of humorous skits that Johny Carson used to do, then this story (in shorter form) might just get used "on air."

Alternately, it might be suggested that a reprint be made available on the Late Show web site. The publicity couldn't hurt Gary Shockly or F&SF.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 05:00 pm:   

Yeee...Yup! You're very welcome, John!
It was my pleasure.
Anytime!...Anyplace!...Anywhere! ;-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register