JJA's Campaign to Get Into Ansible Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » John Joseph Adams/The Slush God » JJA's Campaign to Get Into Ansible « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Traveller
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   

JJA states in his blog that his goal for the year is to either say something clever enough or stupid enough to be quoted by Langford in _Ansible_.

I'm waiting for the wit. *sits back*

JJA
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 04:02 pm:   

Sitting back is good...but don't hold your breath. I'm far more likely to say something extraordinarily stupid.

John Thiel
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 04:32 pm:   

Say "Latest Ansible...D--oh!" and be both. It'll be in his magazine.

Ahmed A. Khan
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 01:01 pm:   

Well, I did make into Dave Langford's latest column at Infinite Matrix but for a reason totally different from saying something stupid or something clever.

In fact, I am indebted to Langford for helping me out when I need help. Check out his column and find out what I am talking about.

Best.

Ahmed

Matt Hughes
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 01:25 pm:   

I made Thog's Masterclass once, but I thought it was unfair: I believe I was covered by my commas. See:

http://infinitematrix.net/columns/langford/langford7.html

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com/

Thomas R
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 05:53 pm:   

I agree you did. I've noticed some refuse to recognize that use of commas. I don't get it. Maybe British usage is different.

ET
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:41 pm:   

Sorry, Matt, I did get a good chuckle out of this. As for the usage, it feels like commas are less effective for an aside. The first version from the following does feel weaker:

------------------
A thick branch crashed through the tunnel, just missing Filidor's nose, and he carefully sliced it away before resuming his slow upward progress.

A thick branch crashed through the tunnel (just missing Filidor's nose) and he carefully sliced it away before resuming his slow upward progress.

A thick branch crashed through the tunnel -- just missing Filidor's nose -- and he carefully sliced it away before resuming his slow upward progress.
------------------

The problem may be that had you wanted the sentence to say that Filidor did cut his nose, you'd still have used the commas in a similar way. Commas have so many uses that it's not at all rare to see a sequence of them mean different things. The parenthesis version is probably the clearest in this respect: the start and end are very clear, since they're different marks. That's possibly why it feels strongest to me.

derision
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 01:08 pm:   

Matt, I love your writting, but you just one a free copy of Strunk's Elements of Stlye :P

http://www.bartleby.com/141/

derision
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   

Crap,and I just won a basic english lesson.

read won, not one.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 07:00 pm:   

John --

I have an absolutely sure-fire way for you to get written up by David Langford, for an issue of "Ansible"!

Submit something here!...

Yee-haw!!! ;-D

"Working For The Man"
http://www.workingfortheman.com/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register