Does anyone recognize this story? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Identifying Old Stories » Does anyone recognize this story? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

s.b.
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:24 pm:   

I am interested in the obtaining the story you published about how we solved our garbage problem - we threw it into the future and the future threw it back.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 05:00 pm:   

Although your description of the events occurring are not entirely accurate, but the theme is very quite similar, with garbage disposal's, a smart businessman/home mechanic inventor, a government scientist and agents, a military general, and a very smart and like-minded alien being figured prominently in the picture, I am totally convinced that the elusive title and author of the short story that you are requesting is "Gifts from the Universe", by Leonard Tushnet, which appeared in the May 1968 issue of "The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction".

The story was so marvelous, it was later reprinted and appeared in "The Best from Fantasy & Science Fiction, Eighteenth Series Edition", Edited by Edward L. Ferman (Doubleday, 1969, hc), where I recently read this absolutely wonderful story, so that's how I knew. :-)

Patrick M.
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 06:49 pm:   

Alan - You should have left the nature of your guess a mystery as you continue to astound with your capabilities for tracking the vaguely described stories with little other information.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   

Sorry, you must all forgive me for my evil sin, but I told a little white lie.
To tell you the honest truth, I never set eyes on that story above.

Hows that?

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 08:22 pm:   

I heard from someone else who thinks it's Tony Morphett's "Litterbug" (July 1969). Haven't had a chance yet to read the story and see.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 10:00 pm:   

Gosh, Gordon, I think I goofed. I believe you're right.

I read "The Best from F&SF", 18th and 19th series, back-to-back, checking out these two great anthologies, plus several of the other early editions through my Inter-Library Loan System about a month ago, with the reprinted "Litterbug" appearing in the 19th. I may have got the two titles and stories confused with one another.

Excuse me, folks, while I go bury my head in some sand.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 04:13 am:   

Alan---

I had help. It's easy for Alex Trebek to look smart when he's reading the cards someone else provided for him.

MarcL
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 09:54 am:   

My first thought was the Clifford Simak story "Dusty Zebra," but I don't think that one involved garbage. Or anyway, not at first.

Jetse
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 11:32 am:   

Funnily enough--since we're talking about garbage--I just read an article about job satisfaction here in The Netherlands.

And guess who gave their job the highest rating?

Right: the garbage men. They rated their job at 8.6 (on a scale from 0 to 10), while the average worker rated his job at 7.3.

"It's the freedom," one garbage man said, "You get to choose which route you take, the speed with which you work, when you take a break. And when you're ready, you can go home."
(Although the last holds true for most other jobs, I hope .)

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:30 pm:   

Yeah, you're right, Gordon.
What, me worry? Aw, nah.

I suspect my mistake was the result of that false information fed into my teleprompter, which is using a lot of those recycled government surplus electrons.

Lee
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   

Sounds quite similar to "He-y, Come On Ou-t" by Shin-Ichi Hoshi, which as I recall involved the discovery of a hole into another dimansion. Since the hole seems to be bottomless, it's used to dispose of huge amounts of industrial and nuclear waste. Unfortunately the other end is actually on Earth, just a few months in the future.

Charlie Finlay
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 09:40 am:   

Also similar to Bujold's "The Hole Truth" which appeared in the Twilight Zone magazine in 1986. Do I detect a possible anthology: The Best Garbage SF?

Alex
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 09:46 am:   

Then there's "The Hole in the Hole"--at least I think that's the title. All about Volvo P1800 cars.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 11:34 am:   

I'd better not mention "Another Cock Tale" by Chris Miller (National Lampoon, 1977), which features an intrauterine device that conveniently opens into another dimension which turns out to be the future. This story burned holes in my teenage mind.

Lurker
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   

...aaaand a browsing lurker reads this over lunch, laughs, and snorts tea up her nose.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 05:10 pm:   

I hope the tea didn't burn.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register