!!!RAISED PAY RATE!!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » !!!RAISED PAY RATE!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Yee
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 05:19 pm:   

I just checked the writers gls on the F&SF website, and the pay rate for fiction has been notched up a cent:

"Payment is 6-9 cents per word on acceptance. We buy first North American and foreign serial rights and an option on anthology rights. All other rights are retained by the author."

Check for yourself.

http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/glines.htm

BlaineTog
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   

Incidentally, Analog pays 6-8 cents. :-D

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 09:08 am:   

You folks are fast. I think we put the new pay rate on the Website on Friday.

Dawn B.
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:17 pm:   

Writers who like pay rate increases? Of course we're fast.

Lars Thorsen
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 02:54 am:   

Rates have been stable for 2 years ? What gives?

Still $200 for 3000 words, talk is cheap they say.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:48 am:   

Thank you for the implied compliment. You're correct in assuming that it hasn't been easy maintaining our increased pay rate over the past two years, but by keeping our overheads low and working on a variety of revenue streams, we've managed it. Our international and electronic sales have been especially important in this regard. If we can get our anthologies selling again (our publisher, Thunder's Mouth, has had a lot of problems this year and I believe it's no longer functioning as a distinct publisher) and if the postal rate hike that's coming next month isn't as severe as they're saying, we might be able to manage another increase in the next year or two. But here are more "if"s in that preceding sentence than I like.

Lars Thorsen
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   

Mr. Van Gelder,

I am mightily impressed that you take time and effort on these message boards, and your editor JJA also. After I emailed about being a writer and how do we do business, I saw the 'guidelines' icon and was embarrassed. Your reply email was great with the link to the SFWA site. I have begun to read ALL of the links. I did read quite a few of the message board post topics and their many posts, and am getting up to speed on the writing and magazine and editing businesses. Your, Ellen's and John's posts have been most informative and I'm developing much respect for F&SF Magazine. That said, it would be nice if the 'honorarium' was increased :-) ! I do this for the love of writing not the money, (yeah, that's what they all say !) I now see what some of my problems as a writer are, and will begin to work on them, after I understand what they are. Anyway, I look forward to sending a short story at some point, for your comments. I need to make it considerably better first, but will save the original for comparison. You have a 'college education' on the SFWA links page !!!
Sincerely, Lars

S. Hamm
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   

Hey Gordon,

If electronic sales are a significant revenue stream, you might want to drop a quick note to EReader. They haven't posted a new issue since January 2007, and Fictionwise is already up to April.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:57 am:   

I dropped them a note on Monday morning but I haven't heard back yet.

Blue Tyson
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:47 am:   

If I subscribe, Fictionwise will be how I do it, for convenience. The Multiformat use it however you like is great to see.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register