Short Story: I thought it was titled ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Identifying Old Stories » Short Story: I thought it was titled Notes from the Field....... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Parks
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 06:45 pm:   

This is truely a long shot. I have been trying to find an old science fiction short story which I thought might be titled "Notes from the Field" but nothing seems to turn up... Story line is an investigator is trying to get a rather large inheritance to a man who seems very unwilling to receive it. Story is in the form of reports back to this investigator's supervisor. As his investigation unfolds he sees a man who keeps himself in povety along with his family to generate the necessity for a part time musician's job in a honky tonk. The investigator concludes that it is best not to pursue giving the money to him... as "he is his father's child" This story was in an anthology probaby dated the sixties. No idea what one.... If anyone has a clue, I'd appreciate a note Richard

Charlie
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 07:57 pm:   

Richard: I really don't think it's your story, and I'm away from my bookshelves so I can't check, but the description vaguely reminds me of Wilma Shore's "A Bulletin from the Trustees of the Institute for Advanced Research at Marmouth, Mass." which appeared in one of Avram Davidson's Best of F&SF volumes in the mid-60s.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   

Originally published in the September 8, 1951 issue of "Collier's" magazine, the short story that you are trying to remember Richard, is "The Foster Portfolio", which was written by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Nov. 11, 1922 - ).

In 1961, this story, along with a collection of 11 other short stories from early in Vonnegut's career, appeared in the limited release of "Canary in a Cathouse" (Fawcett Crest Pub.)

The twelve stories appearing in "Canary in a Cathouse", by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. are:

Report on the Barnhouse Effect ss Colliers Feb 11 '50

All the King's Horses ss Colliers Feb 10 '51

D.P. ss Ladies Home Journal Aug '53

The Manned Missiles ss Cosmopolitan Jul '58

The Euphio Question ss Colliers May 12 '51

More Stately Mansions ss Colliers Dec 22 '51

The Foster Portfolio ss Colliers Sep 8 '51

Deer in the Works ss Esquire Apr '55

Hal Irwin's Magic Lamp ss Cosmopolitan Jun '57

Tom Edison's Shaggy Dog ss Colliers Mar 14 '53

Unready to Wear ss Galaxy Apr '53

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow ["The Big Trip Up Yonder"] ss Galaxy Jan '54

(A reprint of this collection is published as an illegal bootleg, with no collectors value, by Buccaneer Books (c. 1991).)

While "Canary in a Cathouse" brought together about half of Vonnegut's shorter fiction, it was later expanded with additional stories, including the reprint of "The Foster Portfolio", and in 1968 this collection was released under the new title of "Welcome to the Monkey House" (Delacorte/Seymour Lawrence Pub.), the anthology in which I am assuming is where you read the story, rather than in the earlier version above.
All of the work collected here was penned from the late 1940s to the mid-1960s and appeared in a wide range of national magazines, including "Playboy", "Esquire", "Cosmopolitan", "Ladies Home Journal" and "Fantasy and Science Fiction".

The twenty-five stories appearing in "Welcome to the Monkey House", by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. are:

Preface pr

Where I Live ["You've Never Been to Barnstable?"] ar Venture-Traveler's World Oct '64

Harrison Bergeron ss F&SF Oct '61

Who Am I This Time? ["My Name Is Everyone"] ss The Saturday Evening Post Dec 16 '61

Welcome to the Monkey House ss Playboy Jan '68

Long Walk to Forever ss Ladies Home Journal Aug '60

The Foster Portfolio ss Colliers Sep 8 '51

Miss Temptation ss The Saturday Evening Post Apr 21 '56

All the King's Horses ss Colliers Feb 10 '51

Tom Edison's Shaggy Dog ss Colliers Mar 14 '53

New Dictionary ["The Random House Dictionary"] ar The New York Times Oct '66

Next Door ss Cosmopolitan Apr '55

More Stately Mansions ss Colliers Dec 22 '51

The Hyannis Port Story ss *

D.P. ss Ladies Home Journal Aug '53

Report on the Barnhouse Effect ss Colliers Feb 11 '50

The Euphio Question ss Colliers May 12 '51

Go Back to Your Precious Wife and Son ss Ladies Home Journal Jul '62

Deer in the Works ss Esquire Apr '55

The Lie ss The Saturday Evening Post Feb 24 '62

Unready to Wear ss Galaxy Apr '53

The Kid Nobody Could Handle ss The Saturday Evening Post Sep 24 '55

The Manned Missiles ss Cosmopolitan Jul '58

EPICAC ss Colliers Nov 25 '50

Adam ss Cosmopolitan Apr '54

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow ["The Big Trip Up Yonder"] ss Galaxy Jan '54

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   

I thought it sounded familiar, and I was pretty sure I'd never read that F&SF collection.

Mmmmm..."Next Door"...now there's one story I've never forgotten.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register