Subscription Fears Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Subscription Questions » Subscription Fears « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

S. Parker
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 03:45 am:   

Dear F&SF team,

I paid for a 2 year international subscription using Paypal on the 6th of September, 2004. I'm looking forward to receiving my first copy through the post very soon (two months waiting on account of admin seems a little excessive to me, I must confess).
Anyway, I recently read in another thread that the magazines are posted "as is" with just a simple address sticker on the cover. I am very concerned about the condition my magazines will be in by the time they reach me here in Tokyo, Japan. Couldn't the magazine be sent out in a simple cellophane wrapping (like the ones in shops where they don't want you to read the magazines)? Any idea what the approximate delivery time is from your offices to Japan?

Best wishes,

S. Parker

E Thomas
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 09:58 pm:   

I've heard that normally people from different countries usually get better mags than here because the distributors usually wrap them. Anyone know for sure?

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 05:33 am:   

S. Parker---

Our foreign copies are mailed in Kraft envelopes. US copies are the ones getting hit with labels in unfortunate spots. I'm trying to find a way to remedy that.

As for the time it takes for copies to arrive overseas, it looks like the faster shipping options would cost foreign subscribers an additional $30 or $40 per year. We switched to a different overseas shipper in 2002 and they improved service a bit, but there just don't seem to be any shipping options that are both fast and economical.

S. Parker
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 03:34 am:   

Mr. Van Gelder---

Thanks for clearing that up for me. For the record, I would have paid an extra $30-40 to have received the magazine in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, I'm the kind of childish guy that gets antsy when he knows there is post on the way and has to check the mailbox 5 times a day.
Chalk it up to enthusiasm. ;)

Thanks again,

S. Parker,
Tokyo.

P.S. Thanks to Mr. Grossman for clearing up my inquiry by email.

S. Parker
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 06:58 pm:   

Oh dear,

At risk of sounding like a whinging brat, I have to check something out with you good folks at F&SF.

As you may recall, I live in Tokyo and it takes a while for the mag to arrive.

As of today (15th of March) I haven't received any issues of F&SF since the January 2005 issue (which was published in December 2004?).

Do I have any cause to be concerned, or am I really just unreasonably impatient?

Thanks in advance for reading,

S. Parker,
Tokyo, Japan.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 06:22 pm:   

I'm not sure. I'll see if we've heard anything from other subscribers in Japan and the Far East.

S. Parker
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 12:31 am:   

Hi Gordon,

Sincere apologies. Today (March 19th) the January issue of F&SF arrived.

This suggests I am indeed unreasonably impatient.

However, in my defense I'd like to postulate that I actually suffered from some kind of irregularity in time-space: I contend that the flow of time slows exponentially in relation to how quickly one reads the new issue of F&SF.

Thus one month has seemed like many, and I hereby absolve myself from any shame or embarassment. I will now enjoy the Feb issue (here we go again).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register