Trying to Identify story and author G... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Identifying Old Stories » Trying to Identify story and author God/Lucifer war 60's/70's « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Raper
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 08:41 pm:   

I'm going to guess this story appeared 60's or 70's. I'm pretty sure it was a novelette or continued story over two or more issues in F&SF.

The story was of about the continuing battle between Lucifer and God. Only this time Lucifer wins! But the final joke is when Lucifer realizes that he hasn't won so much as he just takes over as caretaker for the universe God created. He accuses God of playing unfairly as he(Lucifer) finds that he can't really change what has been set in motion and is forced to be "God-like" in his job as caretaker of God's universe.

Does anyone remember this story? I would like to read it again

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 04:23 am:   

I haven't been able to place this one yet, but you might be able to find it by browsing through our online bibliography at: http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/bibliography/bibliography.htm. I'd suggest clicking on "stories (by date)" and flipping through the late 1960s and early 1970s issues. This seems to me it would have run around the time that F&SF serialized Zelazny's "Jack of Shadows," but that's just a guess.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 09:25 pm:   

Jim --

You may sit back now without further struggle, for I am quite certain after searching every conceivable source known to man, woman and child, that that allusive title and author that you have desperately been seeking is "The Custodians", a novelette written by British author Richard Cowper, pseudonym of John Middleton Murry, Jr., aka Colin Middleton Murry (1926-2002), which appeared in the October 1975 issue of "The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction" (His first appearance in any sf magazine).

The following link is a special tribute to him, found at the prominent, prolific and highly respected British author Christopher Priest's web site...

"Portrait of John Murry (Richard Cowper) http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/christopherpriest/murrport.htm

Patrick M.
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 04:51 am:   

Your talent amazes me again Alan.

Jimmy Scalfano
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   

This sounds like Black Easter and The Day After Judgment by James Blish to me. God disappears and Lucifer takes over. He then finds he hates the job and begs Man to take over for him.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register