Name this F&SF story and author ... p... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Identifying Old Stories » Name this F&SF story and author ... please help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

erich de villiers
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:20 pm:   

Hey everyone,
Back when I was in high school I had a subscription to Fantasy & Science Fiction, and one of my favourite stories was a novella about a woman and her artist friend who committed suicide but left her one of her paintings. The woman, who was the narrator, later had a mystical experience and she entered the painting where she contacted her dead friend.
Anyways, I'm trying to find out what the name of the story was and who the author was. This was from an issue of F&SF in the late 1980's

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

John Thiel
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:09 am:   

Reminds me of the story I saw about the fellow who was trapped in a fantasy illustration, but I don't know the name of your story.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:05 pm:   

Erich --

Since I must confess that I have never read this highly fascinating story which you seek info on, I had to do some homework and took the liberty of conducting an extensive, and extremely frustrating search on the Internet for you with the few choice clues you supplied. And, I have now reached the conclusion that I believe (of course, I could be totally wrong. :-( ) that the title of the novella which you are looking for, is "Dancing Among Ghosts", which was written interestingly enough, by Jim Aikin, a jazz musician, and appeared in the February, 1988 issue of "The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction"

Surprisingly enough, this novella was so good, that it was nominated for a Locus Award in 1989, but unfortunately lost out to the grand winner, "The Scalehunter's Beautiful Daughter", by none other than Lucius Shepard.

But, with an eye for the years most exquisite in fantasy and horror literature in short story form, fame and fortune would have it when this honorable mention novella was reprinted in the pages of "The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror - Second Annual Collection for 1988", Edited by Ms. Ellen Datlow and Ms. Terri Windling. O-8-)

"The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror - Second Annual Collection for 1988" http://www.endicott-studio.com/yb02.html

I've included here, the table of contents for the Feb. 1988 issue of F&SF, in the hopes that it will maybe jog your memory and look a bit familiar to you;

The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction [v 74 #2, February 1988] ed. Edward L. Ferman (Mercury Press, $1.75, 164pp, pb)

6 The Incredible Christmas Wish Nancy Etchemendy ss
14 Books Algis Budrys br
19 Books to Look For Orson Scott Card br
23 Takes All Kinds Russell M. Griffin ss
38 Triage Rory Harper ss
51 Salinity Robert Frazier pm
52 If Nudity Offends You Elizabeth N. Moon ss
63 Cartoon John Jonik ct
64 Harlan Ellison's Watching Harlan Ellison mr
81 Cartoon Sidney Harris ct
82 Sentry [John Stranger] Jack M. Dann & Jack C. Haldeman, II nv
107 Cartoon Henry Martin ct
Science:
___ 108 The Unrecognized Danger Isaac Asimov ar
118 Dancing Among Ghosts Jim Aikin nv
159 F&SF Competition: Report on Competition
44 Misc. Material ms

Here also, is author/musician, Jim Aikin's resume;
"Jim Aikin's Resume"
http://www.musicwords.net/resume.htm

~ Alan ~

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register