Is the Asimovs board off line? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » General Magazines Discussion » Is the Asimovs board off line? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patricia
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 02:58 pm:   

For two days, whenever I try to get on the Asimovs board I get a message saying I'm not authorized. Are the rest of you having that problem? I can't imagine they kicked me off as I'm new and haven't cussed anyone out, no warnings or anything.
So what's the scoop?

Thomas R
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:20 pm:   

I'll check it out. I meant to cutback online, but I predictably failed.

jack skillingstead
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:45 pm:   

I haven't experienced any difficulty, Patricia. Tried it just a moment ago.

Patricia
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:53 pm:   

I emailed their webmaster yesterday morning but got no response. Thanks for the answer. What's weird is that I got the same message when I tried to get on the Analog board and I've never posted there. I can get on this and every other board just fine so it isn't my computer.

ET
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 04:04 pm:   

I don't have any problem.

Thomas R
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 04:05 pm:   

I posted something, no problem.

Patricia
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 04:25 pm:   

Thank you for checking. Do you think it is possible I've been kicked off? It is so weird to get the message that I'm not authorized on that site.

E Thomas
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 05:14 pm:   

I don't know, but e-mailing the webmaster might not work. I know I heard at one point that that e-mail doesn't work. What about the Analog board (run by the same admin and board)?

www.analogsf.com/discus

If that one works, you can maybe ask there. If not, you have more information.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 05:29 pm:   

That is odd. A couple days ago, I started getting into it with Jon Bromfield/The Real Anonymous in his latest incarnation as "Not That Anonymous." I was getting very annoyed because he was trying to turn the archaeology thread into a flame war. I expected my favorite thread to become a raging volcano but then he just quit. I'm not suggesting you're him. A new guy who seems to be relatively behaving himself bears an extremely eerie resemblance to his syntax and word choice. But maybe there's some kind of software or way for tech savvy trolls to place the blame on someone else. Maybe he found out he was in trouble and found a way to blame you.

Another possibility is that if you have a net nanny kind of program, you might be blocked. We got a little side-tracked on a sexual subject--the history and uses of the vibrator if I remember correctly.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 06:01 pm:   

It is also weird. When I was being smaug (managed to scare Mr. Utley away for a while just by being weird rather than particularly vicious), I got a thing on my desktop that said Smaug like someone was tracking me or something. I figured maybe it was because Administration knew who I was and was giving me a warning saying they could cut me off at any time.

A couple days ago, though, I noticed another strange thing on my desktop. I have only been using my own name recently but the name on my desk top was Thomas R. Maybe there was some kind of tracking thing that went wrong because I'm not Thomas R. However, that happened at about the same time someone impersonated Thomas R, saying some rather foul things to Marian. I can't help thinking something is not right.

I'll post some of these comments over at Asimov's and see if it gets a response.

Rob Darnell
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 06:28 pm:   

Hmm, now that's creepy. The other day my ex girlfriend and I were talking online, and she wanted me to sent her some pictures that I took of her when we were together. I know I had all of the pictures on this computer, but they weren't there when I needed them, so I had to get them from my other computer. Since then I've been wondering if somebody had hacked onto my computer and deleted some stuff. I have a firewall, but I don't know how reliable it is. I also ran the virus scanner but didn't find anything wrong.

Patricia
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 06:56 pm:   

I got some kind of warning pop up on my computer about being tracked. I'm not real computer savy so I'll have to ask my husband to try to figure it out. I haven't had problems with anything but this one thing.
Interesting theory about the troll throwing it on me.
Talk about becoming paranoid!

J.P.
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 07:08 pm:   

I worked for Lockheed years ago and had a top secret clearance. I guess that put me on a list and could I ever tell stories (if I was an idiot). But once, I was online and my page slipped from what I was reading to the page of an international political security agency. This was not a popup. Immediately I put in their name in a search engine and got their webpage. After a minute, the page disappeared. A number of times after that I tried to get back their page or anything else about them but my computer wouldn't pull anything up. When I used other computers, they would.
The creeps is a good way to explain stuff like that.

John Thiel
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 07:16 pm:   

I was just at Epic's site, where I have a viable password and user name that clicked on logging in, but in trying to post a new topic a notification was gotten saying guests can't post there. This also occurred in a topic where it is stated that guests CAN post, and although I got the same notification, my posting appeared on the forum right off.

Both my server and the newspapers inform me that viruses are posing as legitimate computer trade-names; I even got a no-go notification from my antivirus firm. That is, it wasn't really them and they were carrying a virus. You have to go by "legit is as legit says and does."

ET
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 01:36 am:   

Guys, try running a spyware detector, like Spybot Search & Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/).

Riptieron
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 10:37 am:   

I have used that (spybot) it works well for the cookies and spyware, but what you are relaying is a blocked path, not a bugged machine. This would mean your IP is being monitored for search paths- some one is seeing what is going OUT- not ON your machine. There is very little you can do besides surfing at a public area, or surfing from another IP. If someone has the ability to block a site path from you- you probably don't want to fight them, they have superior computing fire power...

Putting the conspiracy theories aside for a simple rational explanation of things suddenly disappearing and being blocked, sudden traffic jams do occur in webspace, the internet does have a "critical mass" so to speak. If a bank of servers goes down and routers to Europe are suddenly shunted to a bottleneck, some things just disappear- OR perhaps a server or router has marked you mistakenly for a "spammer" and blocked your IP.

Something to think about...

Jimmy Scalfano
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   

If your current IP is the same as someone's IP who has been banned, you may not be able to log in.

Perhaps you should try using a proxy.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register