HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Interview with F&SF Editor Gordon Van... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Authors » Interview with F&SF Editor Gordon Van Gelder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 06:32 am:   

It's already been mentioned elsewhere on this board, but I thought it worthy of its own thread --

There's an interview of Gordon this month over at The Internet Review of Science Fiction (www.irosf.com). There's also a different interview of him in the April Locus.

Despite already knowing Gordon quite well and working with him on a daily basis and having read both interviews within a week or two of each other, I found both interviews quite interesting, so I expect all of you will too.

-JJA

John Picacio
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:21 am:   

I read the LOCUS Van Gelder interview last night. Gordon's profession is words and mine is pictures so unfortunately our paths don't cross very often, but I really enjoyed the hell out of his interview. He was very forthright and insightful and it was one of my favorite LOCUS reads in a while.

It made me wish I knew the guy a little better. I respect the good work that he's doing.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:24 am:   

Well, Gordon does commission 11 pieces of cover art every year...

-JJA

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 05:50 am:   

The Locus interview is now online:

http://www.locusmag.com/2004/Issues/04VanGelder.html

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:23 am:   

Just a clarification that the online Locus material is excerpts, not the entire interview.

JK

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:08 pm:   

"In Lands That Never Were: Swords & Sorcery Stories from the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction due in September 2004."

That sounds mighty cool...

DaveKuzminski
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 04:54 pm:   

Since I don't have his email address, I will offer my thanks here to Mr. Van Gelder for his kind words elsewhere.

TCO
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:25 am:   

Is't that a little obsequious for you to be playig up the seior editor's press, JJA?

JJA
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 08:59 am:   

Jeez, where did that come from TCO? My obsequiousness occurred way back in April.

Actually, I don't see it as obsequious, as any promotion of Gordon is promotion of the magazine. He's the primary creative force behind the magazine (whereas writers would be the primary creative force on the face of the magazine), so an interview with him is like an article about the magazine.

I do like the word "obsequious" though. BTW, looks like your "N" key is having some issues. Might want to have someone look at that.

R.Wilder
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:31 pm:   

JJA: Checking the time of TCO's post I'm betting he was drunk as a skunk.

TCO
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:13 pm:   

shhh...

(a more succict commet would just have been "slurp"). Um...yeah, I guess you did kiss up i April. But I like you. See, you're really cool actually. ;)

TCO
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:21 pm:   

JJA, the defitio of "smack"* from USA Reef Poits: "obsequious ad oe who looks it up"

*boat school slang

Pat M.
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 02:44 pm:   

Is the 'n' key Druk as well? or are you baked and there is a conspiracy involving the 'n'?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators