HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Au revoir du Dozois? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » General Magazines Discussion » Au revoir du Dozois? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas R
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:32 pm:   

I know it's an Asimov's topic but Dozois stepping down, if true, is huge news in all F/SF magazine land. I wish him success in future ventures and hope he'll still drop by Asimov's from time to time.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:57 pm:   

The LOCUS ONLINE piece says he'll continue to work with ASIMOV'S as a consulting editor. But yes, it is huge news.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:21 pm:   

I'll miss Dozois. He was an extremely good editor. But on the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more output from him. He's a damn good writer in his own right. Between the choice of a new editor versus more Dozois output, it's a tough call. But I think I'd go with the greater Dozois output.

(Alas, I hope his quitting didn't have anything to do with the hooligans that destroyed his clubhouse as portrayed on the GONE TO WASHINGTON thread on the Asimov's site).

Chris Dodson
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:45 pm:   

Damn, that's awful news. Dozois has been editing ASIMOV'S for almost as long as I've been alive, and he's one of my personal heroes. One of my main goals has been to sell a story to him, but now it looks like that probably won't happen. Like Byron, though, I take comfort in the hope that we'll see more fiction by the man, and like Thomas, I wish him luck and success with future projects.

Chris Dodson
The Passion of the Chris

E Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:57 pm:   

Ditto everything that Chris said. I'm sure Sheila will do a great job, and I'm glad Gardner Dozois will still be an active part of the fantasy and science fiction universe, but...:-(

Chris Dodson
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:19 am:   

On a peripheral note, does anybody know what's up with the Asimov's forum, and whether it has anything to do with the big news?

ET
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:55 am:   

Oh man, I'm in shock. I really can't imagine Asimov's without Gardner. It's hard because he's not just a name, but someone who's been pretty active online, so he feels real. And now the editor of Asimov's will again be a shadowy figure.

Thomas R
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:04 am:   

He'll still be contributing editor. Maybe we can rassle Sheila into going online somehow.

Patrick Samphire
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:41 am:   

It's a shocking piece of news. It is hard to imagine Asimov's without Gardner as editor. Still, he's done the job for an awful long time, and I guess it was time for a change.

E Thomas
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:16 am:   

As long as he is still going to be doing the Year's Best...!

Rob Darnell
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 03:42 am:   

I can't decide if it's awful or not. If Gardner just feels it's time to retire as editor, then it's probably not awful. But if this has something to do with the bad press Asimov's has recieved, then I'd say it's awful. Does anyone know why Gardner is stepping down?

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:21 am:   

I don't have any inside information, but I seriously doubt this has anything to do with the Wood TV 8 nonsense, if that's what you're asking.

John Thiel
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:26 am:   

Sudden announcements are shocking...I've never heardf any advance suggestion of this.

R.Wilder
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:28 am:   

Sheila's been involved for a long time with the mag and will do a terrific job. Plus, we, the readership of s.f. 'zines, will have the benefit of reading more of Gargy's stories in "Asimov's," "SciFiction," and "F&SF." That is if he doesn't spend all that free time sitting around watching the afternoon soaps and munching on cheese doodles...

bluejack
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:52 am:   

I think it is a great decision on Gardner's part. Sure: it's more than just a change of season, but I have no doubt that Asimov's will continue as a great magazine, and if the end result is that Gardner's own creative work becomes rejuvenated I can't imagine anyone complaining about that either. Unlike Gordon -- who claims to have no interest in writing -- Gardner has always maintained an interest in writing. If Gordon decided to retire, that would be bad news. This announcement is simply change.

Here's hoping that Gardner will have the time, the energy, and the will to go back to the source.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:22 am:   

Bluejack---

Check that interview I did with LOCUS again. What I said there---and what I meant---is that there are things I want to write, but I don't want to be a writer for a living. (Not the same thing as having no interest in writing.)

Michael Samerdyke
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:30 am:   

I look forward to more stories from Gardner. "The Hanging Curve" in F&SF a few years ago was wonderful, and I remember a story of his from the Seventies called "The Visible Man" that was utterly gripping.

And it probably will be good to have a new hand at the helm of Asimov's.

bluejack
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 11:01 am:   

Oops! Sorry Gordon. Didn't mean to mis-characterize your goals in life. I completely admire your commitment to F&SF, and your passion for the role of editing and publishing -- this probably over-colored my understanding of your statement.

Thomas R
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:38 pm:   

The Hanging Curve was good. Nice to see him in a lighter vein, most of his stories I've read so far are tragedies or dystopias.

I hate saying this, but FSF has been around for over 50 years. If GVG quit as editor it would be big, but JJA I think could manage and the magazine has been through many editors over the decades that...well I'm screwing my chances of ever getting accepted, but I just don't think it'd be as big a thing. Dozois was the editor for most of Asimov's history at this point. It's more akin to the retirement or deaths of people like HL Gold or Anthony Boucher. Both of whom were writers.

Now if GVG quit as owner, he does own it right, and FSF consequently collapsed that would be enormous horrifying news. That would top this story by a long ways.

Asimov's now has two threads on this, and is working again.

ET
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:30 pm:   

On the bright side, with a new editor I'll be able to re-submit all the stories. Mwahahahaha!

(Although that'd probably be more useful for other writers, considering I only ever submitted three stories to Asimov's. Which I think is also the number of stories I submitted to F&SF. Hmmmm...)

R.Wilder
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 03:09 pm:   

At least John Campbell hasn't resigned his post at "Astounding" just yet...

bluejack
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 04:32 pm:   

Speaking of Gordon, there's a new interview with him available at The Internet Review of Science Fiction...

Lee
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:24 am:   

"At least John Campbell hasn't resigned his post at "Astounding" just yet..."

Spiritually, at any rate. And also in literary terms, I guess!

Claudia O'Keefe
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:58 am:   

I've been out of the SF loop for several years and am just finding my way back into the news cycle here, but one thing amazed me when I started lurking around. Unlike other parts of publishing, editors in SF and Fantasy don't seem to play musical chairs so much. It provides for a strong continuity, IMHO. Gardner's wonderful longevity at IASFM is just one example.

Am I off-base here, or do others think this is fairly unique to SF?

Thomas R
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:17 pm:   

I don't follow other kinds of fiction magazines well enough to know. I do know SF authors sometimes have very long careers in comparison to some. Jack Williamson has one of the longest ongoing careers in all literatre, not just SF. He still does some good stuff for FSF on occasion. Mystery is the main other field to allow that.

Chris Dodson
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:52 pm:   

I don't think the magazine editors do as much, but if Gardner's annual summations are any indication, SF book editors still move around a bit.

Chris Dodson
Journal: The Passion of the Chris

ellen
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:44 am:   

Editors at Tor Books stay forever. Ginjer Buchanan at Berkley/Ace has been there for many years. DAW (privately owned) has been stable for years. Depends on the publishing house.

TCO
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 04:59 pm:   

Bova wrote a book called cyberbooks that made fun of the musical chairs stuff.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators