HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Title & author? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Identifying Old Stories » Title & author? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

wanderer
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:17 pm:   

This is not my question, but is copied from the Harlan Ellison visitor forum: I'm trying to remember the title and author of a story I read in F&SF a number of years ago. It was the story of a woman whose life was lonely and dreary until she started having very realistic dreams, different settings but all about the same man. She falls in love with literally the man of her dreams, starts sleeping away most of the day just to be with him. The twist is that the man is real, but he's in a coma. She figures it out because of the incongruous metal hospital bed which appears in an old-west type dream. Does anyone recognize this?

J-M Grumney
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:00 pm:   

never read it but it's a great premise.

wanderer
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 09:07 am:   

That's exactly what I thought. That's why I wanted to pass the question on.

Michael Samerdyke
Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:01 pm:   

I think this might actually be two stories by Phyllis Eisenstein. "In the Western Tradition" is a story about a woman who works for a Time-Observation company. This is a time machine that only lets one observe the past. She falls in love with a friend of Wyatt Earp's, but of course, he has been dead for a century.

The other story, about people meeting in dreams, was called "Dream Life" or "Night life." I don't remember much about it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators