HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

I just received the May edition of F&... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Issues - Tables of Contents, Discussion » I just received the May edition of F&SF... wait, May? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

T Gustov
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 09:02 am:   

On March 24th I received the May edition of F&SF. What's up with that? That's an entire month ahead. I just noticed that several of my other magazines subscriptions have this too.

Am I special, or just missing something?

Charlie Finlay
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:21 am:   

You're special.

Matt Jarpe
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:30 am:   

Be nice if they could put stock quotes or baseball scores in F&SF so we could benefit financially from these issues from the future.

Sean Forbes
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   

Many magazines print their issues 'one month ahead' to keep them on the shelves at retailers longer. Basically, if the March issue arrived in the beginning of March it would be pulled off the newsstand a few weeks later at the end of March. Now if the "April" or "May" issue arrives in early March so it stays on the newsstand for a month or two.

Charlie Finlay
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:28 pm:   

If you look on the May issue above the barcode it says "Display until April 29," demonstrating Sean's point.

And why is the mailing label across the middle of the cover again this issue? They have something against foxes this time?

T Gustov
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   

That's a fox?

Oh, I guess it is. The mailing label is smack on his kisser, also over the second half of "Display U".

So it's just a little trick, not an actual time-traveling magazine? Bah.

Sean Forbes
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:08 pm:   

It would be nice if they could at least put it on the back, but then the advertiser would complain, even if it was F&SF, like this month.

Marguerite
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:36 pm:   

Charlie, are you in this one again? ;D

--Marguerite

Charlie Finlay
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:02 pm:   

Not until June! And after that, I've only got one more story in inventory--I better start writing.

bluejack
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:20 am:   

My favorite was an Analog I received at the end of July -- the October issue, with a Halloween themed story.

Whatever the reasons for pre-dating magazines, it does end up seeming a little absurd some times. The double issues seem to throw off the timing even more than usual.

Chris Dodson
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:45 am:   

I used to get really, really annoyed when, in September, all the Christmas stories would start showing up in the magazines.

Brian Plante
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 05:27 am:   

Hey, that was my Halloween story in July. Didn't it just get you in the mood to stock up on trick-or-treat candy? And, hey, Christmas season DOES start in September these days, does it not?

John Thiel
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 08:31 am:   

Science fiction got into publishing their mags a month, then two months ahead to indicate how far into the future they were, then other types of magazines started following suit.

Jamie
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:10 am:   

So if it were an entirely-alternate-history mag, they would just date every issue the same as the first one? :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators