HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

What is the deal w/ Weird Tales/Absol... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Subscription Questions » What is the deal w/ Weird Tales/Absolute Magnitude subscriptions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jill
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   

I have been trying to get my Absolute Magnitude and Weird Tales subscriptions that I bought months ago to show up. I have made multiple complaints to the editor, Warren Lapine, and his supposed subscription email hotline, with no response. Should I call my credit card company and have them reverse the charges, or what?

JJA
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:23 pm:   

Try posting a note in the DNA Publications newsgroup on SFF.net:

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=xover&group=sff.publishing.dnapublications&from= 3949

Michael Samedyke
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:23 am:   

Along these lines, has anyone seen an issue of the H. P. Lovecraft Magazine of Horror?

I sent my check in back in October. It cleared, but I haven't gotten anything since.

Pat Swift
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:04 am:   

I've been wondering about the Lovecraft magazine myself, a special collectors edition of the first issue was available at the recent World Fantasy con last Oct but I haven't seen it at my local Borders yet. I sent in my check in November & it cleared but that is the last I have heard of the mag.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:07 pm:   

Warren Lapine, Marvin Kaye, and Darrell Schweitzer were all showing off copies of issue #1 at Lunacon this past weekend. I believe it's the same as the issue they had at World Fantasy Con, only labeled SUMMER 2004 instead of SPRING 2004.

Jill Elaine Hughes
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 05:02 pm:   

I'm still getting no response on my posting to the DNA Pubs message board and my mutliple emails. Gordon (or somebody similar) since you know Warren, can you help me out? I am sure I'm not the only subscriber in this situation.

What do we SF/F writers do when we subscribe to support the genre and can't even get our own subscriptions??

Jetse
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:30 pm:   

I'm with you, Jill Elaine. As an international subscriber I paid 80 dollars for 4 issues of Absolute Magnitude and 4 issue of Fantastic, long live international mail rates ;-( , and I still have to see the latest issues of both magazines that have been up on the DNA website for months.

Also my queries went unanswered so far. Then, last July, to add insult to injury, I got a subscription offer with the rejection to my (Absolute Magnitude) submission. I was already a subscriber then, but in those three years I've seen 3 issues of Absolute Magnitude and 2 of Fantastic, while both are supposedly quarterly publications.

Finally, both markets are overstocked and closed to submissions until 2005. Not a very good sign if you ask me.

Tribeless
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:24 am:   

I never buy dead tree books or mags anymore (haven't for three years). You can read SCI-FICTION online, as with Strange Horizons (although I convert to Palm or lit and download to my handheld). . Moreover, I can buy the ebook versions of Asimov's, Analog and F&SF from Fictionwise. A milli-second after I've paid my money, the magazine is on my PocketPC and I'm reading.

By the way, this also means I can just purchase the months/authors that interest me. The absolute in convenience, and no frustration.

All that overseas snail mail crap is twentieth century; ie, slow and clumsy. If a publication, including novels (again, Fictionwise or Palm Media) is not electronic it's never going to get my money. Living at the bottom of the earth as I do (NZ), the Internet and ebooks has been an absolute godsend.

Patrick Samphire
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:08 am:   

Tribeless, I think you're right to a degree. I would certainly be tempted to buy F&SF and Asimovs electronically. But with a publication like Realms of Fantasy, where the art is important, I'll stick with paper, despite how slow it is.

ET
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:35 am:   

Patrick, try the magazines at Zinio.com, to see how you can get an electronic copy of a magazine where you get everything you see in the print version.

Of course, this is limited to devices with large screens. You can't see a full page and read it on a PDA or phone. Even on a high resolution PC screen you sometimes have to zoom in to read the text, which makes this less convenient. Still, I subscribed to their version of PC Magazine because it cost just $10 for a year (22 issues). I can see myself subscribing to RoF that way, too, given the right price.

Patrick Samphire
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:31 am:   

On screen quality of art is never as good. The resolution just isn't there at the moment, and certainly not on my monitor. I guess if it was very cheap, I might just take the text of stories and not worry about all the rest, but that would be like getting a different magazine.

ET
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:11 am:   

> On screen quality of art is never as good.

I guess that depends on how much of an art connoisseur you are. I've seen a lot of art on the screen that looked pretty good to me. Some Zinio mags (at least, the samples I saw) use low quality art to save download bandwidth, but I think that's the exception, rather than the rule.

Download the Science sample issue and tell me that the cover image isn't good. Even the small images in the content and science online pages look good, even when zoomed in (although not perfect). The ads look pretty good, too. I can't fault that e-edition for looks. I can certainly see myself reading RoF like this and enjoying its art aspect.

Okay, if you have a really bad monitor, then that may be a problem. I have a 19" monitor and run it at 1600x1200. Things look quite good at that resolution (although I'd still want a higher one).

Jetse
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:30 am:   

This is down to personal preferences, but I do prefer dead trees.

Just received The Third Alternative #37, and--as always with TTA--it is a joy to behold, to feel, to smell, a really superior experience to anything any screen can offer.

Furthermore: if I read from a screen too much, I get tired and have a headache. Never with books or magazines.

While I do understand that, if you live on the other side of the world, electronic publications are a godsend. However, by limiting yourself to electronic publications only you do miss out on some great magazines and books.

Finally, a paper book does last longer and does not break down. In five or ten years software versions have changed and you may need to convert all your old files. And if you haven't backed up your files it takes only one hard disk crash to lose all your fiction.

Call me old-fashioned in this respect, and maybe I should try a pocketPC just to compare, but when I see/touch/smell/feel/experience the latest TTA I say that a professionally produced publication has a soul that electronic versions still lack.

ET
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:38 am:   

(*Grumble grumble* must have closed the window before submitting the reply yesterday.)

> Finally, a paper book does last longer and does not break down.

I've yet to have any wrinkled covers on my e-books, nor have the glue fail.

> And if you haven't backed up your files it takes only one hard disk crash to lose all your fiction.

All the places I've bought e-books from allow re-downloading.

I definitely enjoy reading from tree remains with ink on them. I have my share of magazine subscriptions and buy my share of books. But I do see the benefits of e-books. I think that a lot of the detractors haven't really tried e-books and e-zines, or have had a very limited experience with them. Reading devices are getting better, and content is getting better.

ET
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:08 am:   

Re e-book devices, check out http://www.eink.com/news/releases/pr70.html.

From information elsewhere (an Israeli news site), the device is the size of a paperback, weighs 190g, has a 6" screen with a resolution of 800x600, 10MB for storage plus MemoryStick support, and also has sound support.

TCO
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 07:53 am:   

Reverse the charges if possible. And read the DNA thread on this board. Those mags are very shakey and there is a pattern of non-delivery.

Gary L. Mogush
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:53 am:   

If anyone's interested in the latest.

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.publishing.dnapublications&art=41 42

harlan krissoff
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:22 pm:   

To eveyone out there. DNA publications no longer owns Weird Tales. The July Locus reports that the publisher who was helping DNA, Wildside Press, had bought it.

Remarkably, DNA still is featuring it on their website and it appears they are still taking subscriptions for it as are Wildside.

What gives?

Then at wildside press, go to http://www.wildsidepress.com/view_categoy.asp?cat=19

There they feature the Lovecraft magazine-they have something like 10 different editions of #1 and then pictures of 1.5 and issue 2.

The bottom of the page says- We thrive to keep our customers happy. If you have any questions feel free to contact us.

Hope this helps everyone.

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 06:00 am:   

As I understand, the Radford Va address is not the proper one to submit to Kaye at for LOVECRAFT'S. Supposedly this is in New York. Does anyone know exactly what it is?

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 06:08 am:   

Does the summer purchase of WEIRD TALES mean that George Scithers adn wahtever it was (Tremunis/) are now completely out of the picture--- as is DNA? Does this mean that Schweitzer now works only for Wildside?

The page you provide a link for doesn't exist.

Sean Wallace
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 10:00 am:   

George and Darrell both work for Wildside Press and edit Weird Tales

John Thiel
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   

Got issue 337 of WT from Wildside, so they transferred my subscription. New editor and a new look---but they maintain the historic and traditional WT look at the same time. It's still in many ways the same mag it was when it started out, like a specter rising anew again and again in the same spot, and I only wish that spot were the Barnes & Noble newsstand, for this issue would look outstanding there. And for nostalgia there's a guy who looks like the Shadow on the cover, painted by George Barr, who is doing more expressive and personal art than he used to. (Though he did, also, have the stupidest verse in this issue that I've ever seen in a magazine:

I heard, late last night, a banshee
A'wailing most piteously.
Unless legend lies
They howl when one dies.
I wonder if that one was me...

It's the naive-to-the-genre approach to verse.)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators