HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Why Wait? December 2008

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Why Wait? December 2008 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_thiel
Username: John_thiel

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   

This is getting to be a rather silent forum. Here I come to find out the December issue contents haven't been posted. My apologies for horning in with a December issue topic; it can be added to the normal December issue posting if one is posted.

I can't but think that a lot of people must be picking this magazine up at Barnes and Noble and Borders, here if nowhere else, with covers as effective as the ones you have been using. The covers used to be eye-catching but were a little too Victorian or Elizabethan-like back when they were of a fabulous nature, but these days they're slim and trim sf. I'm wondering if I'll be able to spot any locals who are new readers of the magazine.

I haven't read the issue yet but considering how sparse the commentary was on the double issue I thought I should at least post having received the issue. I suppose everybody's reviewing it at their blogsites instead of posting comments at the forum.

People not commenting on the issue should flip it over and take a quick look at the back cover.

I remember the days when everyone was discussing whether Henry Miller could legally use four-letter words in his novel. Back then you didn't even find a whole lot of "hell" and "damn" in a science fiction magazine. So it still seems odd to open the magazine from the back, go across the index, and read "fuck"..."shit"...[goes to front end of story]..."ass"...but it looks like quite a notable story, even if everybody's ass is out and everybody else's ass is grass. I'll start in with that story. I wonder if an obscenity filter will make my comment look more obscure?
I've got biff and zow

Geraldda
Username: Geraldda

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 07:50 pm:   

John, most of the F&SF discussion has moved to http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/blog/forum/. The December issue has a thread there.

John_thiel

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   

hm, the Nightshade one is being phased out, then. Well, I will miss several things about it. It's a somewhat handsomer board. But theoretically it will not have the same problems.

Now I know why everything is so slow around here now.
I've got biff and zow

Jeremy_k_minton
Username: Jeremy_k_minton

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 04:59 am:   

Just a thought, but if most of the discussion is happening on the sfsite then it might be an idea to change the "Message Board" link on the magazine's home page (I'm presuming http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/ is the magaazine's home page) so it points to that board rather than this one.

John_thiel

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 07:39 am:   

Well, "Message Board" is not "Forum"...maybe this is presently intended to be a message board, for posting announcements and the like. If so, it ought to be revised and formatted as such, with the discussions linked as forum annals.
I've got biff and zow

John_thiel

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 07:40 am:   

Also, there are so many who have been posting here who have not come over to the new forum. Why not try it out?
I've got biff and zow

John_thiel

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 05:04 pm:   

Presently on the F&SF site home page it says at the top "Forum", going to the new one, and down near the bottom "message board" going here.
I've got biff and zow

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |