HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

JJ Adams Internet Review of Science F... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » John Joseph Adams/The Slush God » JJ Adams Internet Review of Science Fiction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jeff ford
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 10:53 pm:   

John: Enjoyed your article on the new Internet Review of Science Fiction. I'm a sucker for a good bibliography. And the ones you present give lots of great stuff to check out.

Best,

Jeff

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 05:25 am:   

Hi Jeff,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to read the article and then share your thoughts.

I'll have one about Mars SF in issue #2.

-JJA

andres
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 01:28 pm:   

What's the URL of the Internet Review of Science Fiction?

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   

Sorry, I suppose I should have mentioned that in case anyone else wanted to take a look at it. The Internet Review of Science Fiction is located at www.irosf.com. To read the articles, you have to sign up for an account, but it's free.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:08 am:   

Very cool stuf JJA. Thanks for pointing me to it.

JK

E Thomas
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 12:39 am:   

Neat. I, too, saved your list.

*sigh*

So many things to read, so little time...

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 06:49 am:   

For anyone who is interested, IROSF just posted their new issue (#2), in which I have another article appearing, this one about Mars SF.

bluejack
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 04:24 pm:   

We've added forums this time around, which are still a little primitive but get the job done for now. There is already a growing list of requests for John's time. (Although I have heard that he doesn't want the burden of doing *all* of them, so if there are any other skilled, insightful authors out there with an encyclopedic knowledge of the literature, you should feel invited to query.)

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 04:59 pm:   

John (or maybe I should be addressing this frustrating technical difficulty with the "man behind the wheel", Bluejack) --

As much as I would like to read your two heart pounding articles in both the January and February issues of "THE INTERNET REVIEW OF SCIENCE FICTION", as well as the articles from the other contributors, I seem to be experiencing major logistical problems here with my WebTV, in subscribing to the "IROSF".

When I click on the "Subscribe" button to sign up, and am transferred to that page, I am only able to read the header and about three-quarters of two sentences on that page. Nothing else appears on my 27' TV screen (I can see no blanks, etc. for me to fill in for that required information in signing up.)

I copied and pasted the entire web page onto an e-mail to see if anything else DOES appear on that subscription page which might possibly be out of my view on the right side of the screen. And yes, there is!
But Jeeze Louise, my dang cursor can't reach what I'm supposed to fill in and send off to the boss.

I'm guessing this is only a WebTV difficulty, and isn't occurring to those with computers.

Any ideas on how I too can join the club for free and be able to read some astounding stuff?

Thanks a million! :-)

~ Alan ~

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 07:26 am:   

John: Nice work on the Mars piece. Enjoyed it as much as your first.

Best,

Jeff

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 04:31 pm:   

Thanks, Jeff!

bluejack
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 11:09 am:   

Alan,

Wow, I didn't realize people still used WebTV. I am currently looking at ways for the site to degrade gracefully without the style sheets, which is what I expect the problem is for WebTV. I will have a new version next week that should *work* for css-poor browsers, although it may not be pretty.

I'll send you email when it's up, and you can let me know whether that works any better. I don't have WebTV to test with, but I'd like to get it working for you.

If you're expecting my reviews to be heart-pounding, however, I fear you may have set your expectations a little high.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:00 pm:   

Bluejack --

Yep, WebTV still exists, with currently over 1 million subscribers I believe, in the United States, Canada, and Japan, although it is now actually officially known as MSN TV in honor of Bill Gates who purchased WebTV Networks a few years ago for a measly $425 million, to add to his colossal Microsoft empire.

It's not nearly as efficient as a PC is, with all of the bells, whistles and blinking lights that come standard with a computer, but it still does the exact same trick with access to the Internet, which I'm completely content with for the time being.

I really would appreciate it if you could indeed make your "IROSF" website accessible to WebTV users. And I would be more than happy to assist you in any way that I can, to make it possible.

By the way, I was speaking in terms of John's two articles contained therein, as causing the pounding heart syndrome, because I'm a bit anxious in reading them. :-)

Now your reviews on the otherhand, in my honest opinion, kick arse! At least all of the ones that I've read in the past did. ;-)

Thanks a bunch, Bluejack!

~ Alan ~

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:31 pm:   

Bluejack --

If you are still in the modus operandi of making your "IROSF" more easily assessable to others, but for the lack of time, just haven't been unable to make those adjustments, please disregard the remainder of this message.
But at least with the tap of a few fingers on your keyboard, you could have the common courtesy of acknowledging my last.

If your utter silence is simply an indication that you lack the technical aspects of computers for making any further improvements to your website, or you just have no desire to take any of those corrective measures I've pointed out earlier, it will be completely understandable.
But either way, whether it be with comments, criticisms, crass notes, or crab grass seeds, a simple reply would be greatly appreciated.

Incidentally, my offer to assist in any way that I can, still stands.

~ Alan ~

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   

P.S. - And disregard any typos which you may spot, especially that which should read "able" and "accessible".

~ Alan ~

Traveller
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:17 pm:   

I'm not sure how often bluejack visits this board, but he did say he would e-mail you once he got something up that might work with WebTV...

I'll post a query on irosf to alert him that you are looking for another response.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:00 pm:   

I saw that Bluejack paid a visit last night with his comments left elsewhere on this board. Alas my reason for the post.

I appreciate your query, Traveller.

Thank you. :-)

~ Alan ~

bluejack
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:11 pm:   

Alan,

It's just a matter of being busy. I have had a few requests for slimmed down versions, either selectable as css skins, or based on browser detection, as well as downloadable versions in various document formats. These are all in the works.

Once I have the framework in place, I will contact you and see if it works for your WebTV.

My first priority is to get some downloadable version for handhelds available in the next week or so; after that I will be looking at skins and browser detection, so probably some time in April.

Sorry it can't be sooner, but this is not my full time job... just a little volunteer work.

PS. Thanks for the cross-post Traveller! I guess that's how you got your nickname, eh? I might have missed this thread completely, and Alan would have thought I hated him.

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 02:30 pm:   

That's all I needed to know, Bluejack.

Obviously your opinions expressed on what I might think, are totally your own demons.

I hope your time spent on your post didn't upset your busy schedule.

~ Alan ~

bluejack
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 05:23 pm:   

No, I'm not *that* busy. :-)

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 06:15 pm:   

Sssssss!!!

;-)

~ Alan ~

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:00 pm:   

Woo hoo!

Bluejack --

After patiently waiting for you to fine tune the instrument panel, pulling levers, pushing buttons, and turning knobs to allow access to those of us with WebTV (MSN TV), I am now extremely happy to report to you that I have just been able to subscribe to "The Internet Review of Science Fiction"! And I am experiencing no problems whatsoever, in accessing any of the countless web pages to be found there. Yeeee...YABBA-DABBA-DOO!!! :-D

Thanks a million, Bluejack, for the extraordinary fine job that you did!

I hope you didn't get too greasy or smash any thumbs from crawling under chassis to correct the minor problem. ;-)

Now, if you don't mind, I have a ton of serious reading to endulge into.

Thanks, again, pal! :-)

~ Alan ~

Jeffrey J Lyons
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 05:40 pm:   

Hey JJA: When we talked at Noreascon you asked me to read an article that you wrote for the SciFi weekly newsletter. Apparently I didn't get it in my e-mail like I thought. Do you have a link to it? Thanx.

JJA
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 05:44 pm:   

I was probably talking about my book review at Science Fiction Weekly:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue384/books2.html.

Or, visit my website (http://www.tuginternet.com/jja/), and read them all.

Jeffrey J Lyons
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:59 am:   

That review was a kick. Certainly it is a challenge to make it through a bad book. But I suppose it makes bashing it a lot easier when you're composing the review.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators