HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

March 2004 issue -- contents Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » F&SF Issues - Tables of Contents, Discussion » March 2004 issue -- contents « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 01:10 pm:   

NOVELETS

MASTERMINDLESS -7- Matthew Hughes
ULTRAVIOLET NIGHT -41- Jim Young
A PEACEABLE MAN -129- Alex Irvine

SHORT STORIES

MANY VOICES -93- M. Rickert
PERVERT -117- Charles Coleman Finlay

DEPARTMENTS

BOOKS TO LOOK FOR -30- Charles de Lint
BOOKS -34- Elizabeth Hand
SCIENCE: HOT AND BOTHERED -107- Pat Murphy and Paul Doherty
COMING ATTRACTIONS -160-
CURIOSITIES -162- F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre

CARTOONS: Tom Cheney (29), Danny Shanahan (92), S. Harris (128).

COVER: "ANTARES" BY RON MILLER

Matthew
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:41 pm:   

Only five stories?

Evan McClanahan
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:57 am:   

Novelettes are pretty long, so three of them and then some longish short stories might explain it. If everything was at near max length for its classification, then that would fill an issues. Besides, This one looks like a really good issue, with work from Finlay, Irvine and Rickert. I dunno the first two, though.

Iron James
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 05:43 pm:   

Only five stories doesn't please me, to be honest. I'd much rather eliminate a novelette and replace it with short stories.

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 09:29 pm:   

I think it looks good. Some of the long stories I've read lately have been the best. For example, I read a double-issue of another sf magazine that had three novellas in it (nearly 90,000 words), and they were all terrific. I'd guess the best thing to do here is check out the stories and then see if you think they're worth it. Based on last year's issues of F&SF, I'll bet they will be.

Gregory Bernard Banks
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   

Quality over quantity, I say.

Iron James
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 08:58 pm:   

Quality and quanity, I say. I just tend to prefer more short stories and fewer novelettes. But I'm not about to complain about the quality of the longer pieces. I tend to enjoy a very high percentage of F&SF stories, regardless of the length.

S. Hamm
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 09:47 pm:   

Seems to me that the Jim Young story, at 50-plus pages, would be properly classified as a novella, if that soothes anyone's pain.

John Thiel
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:32 am:   

I'm surprised to see that the March issue is mastermindless. Yes, the vaunted issue has arrived, here's somebody named Tony in Jim Young's story swearing by Jesus Christ, why not Dagon or Thoth; here it says "fuck;" used to be you'd have to read Norman Mailer for anything like that. Didn't get the cartoon on page 92 at first, mostly because it isn't too clear what the objects in it are, but I see the guy's sickle is contacting him.

I look in one of the two book columns and see an item called "The Two Sams"--what, Merwin and Mines? No, it's someone's collection of fantasy stories, I must not have noticed it on the stands. It says the story of Shockelpeter is a good fantasy precedent, from what I make out. Backing to the previous section one finds Gregor Samsa---a lot of Sams in this issue's column. Is Elizabeth Hand any relation to one time Supreme Court justice Learned Hand? It's a rare last name, and her column seems to have the DC viewpoint.

Keep 'em coming, there's always something interesting in an issue.

Michael Samerdyke
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 06:01 am:   

I thought "Ultraviolet Night" was the best story this issue. I liked the way Young juggled the complicated plot and the big cast of characters.

I also liked "Peaceable Man" by Irvine, but to a lesser degree. I think it would have been more effective had it been a few pages shorter.

John Thiel
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 07:00 am:   

Those contents have gotten rather old by now.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators