HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

FSF over Asimovs? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » General Magazines Discussion » FSF over Asimovs? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ray2
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:10 pm:   

What are all your opinions. My personal answer to the question is yes.

Thomas R
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   

Per capita I like the science fiction in FSF a bit better as it's often a bit lighter. That sounds like a rather backhanded compliment, hmm. What I mean is it does not seem as depressing and dour.

However as I like Science Fiction over Fantasy I guess I prefer Asimov's. Asimov's is mostly science fiction on principle. This is an odd thing to say on the FSF board, but that's my view.

Michael Samerdyke
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:52 pm:   

I like F&SF over Asimov's, but this is not based on a rational decision between the two magazines as they exist today.

Back in the Seventies, I read both and decided I liked F&SF better. Asimov's has changed editors and changed a great deal since then. However, I've never been tempted to give them a second chance, since most of the Asimov's stories I have read in the Dozois Annual anthology haven't really rung my bell. I liked some of them (mostly the ones by Nancy Kress) but there were too many misses for me.

Also, a few years ago, it seemed as if Asimov's was winning every Hugo and Nebula every year. I decided they didn't need my money as well.

Matthew
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 08:01 pm:   

I like F&SF, more diversity in styles, concepts, et cetera.

Iron James
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:02 pm:   

Why choose? They're very different magazines, and I like what each does. I don't think you can get any better than Asimov's for what it does, or F&SF for what it does. You're missing out big time if you skip either magazine.

Jeff Peery
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:25 pm:   

I agree with Iron James. If I thought about it, which I don't, I think it would have to be a month-by-month comparison. Sometimes I like F&SF better and sometimes Asimov's. I read both each month and the order I read them in depends on which comes first in the mail.

R.Wilder
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:06 am:   

When I'm reading "Asimov's" I think it's the best 'zine. Then I pick up "F&SF" and think that it's the best. Then I receive the latest "Asimov's" in the mail and begin reading...later the current "F&SF" is delivered and the cycle continues... (I love both Gordy and Gardy!)

ellen
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:55 am:   

R.Wilder: It's actaully Gargy:-)

R.Wilder
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:26 am:   

BTW, I love you too, Ellen! One of my New Year's resolutions is to read more "SCI-FICTION" stories and spend less time lazing on the couch with my pulp magazines. (and also get hip to some of the semi-prozines out there.)

ET
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   

I actually like some semi-prozines better than the pros (and I don't feel right saying that here, but if we're on the subject...). Black Gate is my current favourite, and one of the two mags I subscribe to -- the other being Andromeda Spaceways (but I might drop that subscription, since I'm really lagged in reading the stories). I also like Dreams of Decadence, although I don't subscribe, because $40 for four slim issues feels like too much. Both Black Gate and Dreams of Decadence have a pretty consistent emotional tone that appeals to me.

sheila mayes
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:00 am:   

well i came accross this site while trying to find a customer service number for the magazine "Dreams of Decadence". i have never had the chance to read the mag. because the company cashed my check for the subscription 5 months ago and has never sent me one single copy of the thing. i have sent over 6 emails and also had no response from them. so in my opinion they are a rip off company. i am just one step away from contacting the BBB and filing a complaint against them.

ET
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:44 am:   

Sheila, try posting to sff.publishing.dnapublications on the news.sff.net news server (port 1119, which is not standard). Or access it through the WebNews link at sff.net. I think you're more likely to get a reply there, although it might also take some time.

JJA
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 05:20 am:   

ET,

Won't just posting this link take her to the newsgroup?

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=xover&group=sff.publishing.dnapublications&from= 4002

ET
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:22 am:   

Works for me. :-) I'm just a theorist. I leave practical applications to others.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Lyons
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:51 pm:   

I was curious as to why there were a pile of F&SF's given away at the recent Oasis con in Orlando, FL. There were about 50 copies of the February issue for the taking.

TCO
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:59 pm:   

Nobody wants em?

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:20 am:   

It's entirely possible that nobody wants them, but the reason they're there is that we donate back issues to various conventions as a promotional effort, in hopes that people will pick up the magazines, like what they see, and subscribe.

TCO
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 09:47 am:   

I'm just being cute. I wish you guys were outselling Penthouse.

Jeffrey J. Lyons
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 07:23 pm:   

Thanks Gordon. I kind of figured that but it did kind of catch me by surprise. They were swooped up within a few hours.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:05 pm:   

I'm thinking that for next year I'll switch my subsciption to F&SF, from Asimovs. Partly just for a change. Also I think that Asimovs may not be at it's peak anymore, with it's own changes. I think it's quite possible now that SciFiction and F&SF will be the sources for the best fiction, or at least the best that would appeal to what I like. Still I can't rule out that Asimovs will not be just as good or better in the years to come.

What do other people think of F&SF compared to Asimovs, and how do you think they will compare in the comming years? I think Gordan and Ellen are possibly the most esablished and credible editors currently working in short spec-fiction.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:11 pm:   

Hey, sorry for spelling you're name wrong Gordon, I've heard that editors hate that.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 06:29 pm:   

StephenB---

As flattering as your comments are, I've got to say that if you've preferred ASIMOV'S to F&SF up to now, you'll probably continue to enjoy it more. I'm as eager as anyone to see how Sheila Williams shapes the magazine, but overall, I don't expect ASIMOV'S to change very significantly.

Of course my main recommendation is that you subscribe to both magazines, but if you can't afford to do so (money-wise or time-wise), you can always try sampling both for a couple of months to decide.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 07:17 pm:   

I do like science fiction, but I probably like fantasy/dark fantasy to horror better. I'm not really big on hard science fiction, although I have enjoyed some. I think F&SF, publishes more fantasy obviously, and probably of higher quality. You also publish horror, another plus. I see most SF as fantasy anyway, it's just fantasy that focuses on making it seem like reality, or what may become reality, with generally different furniture. Although some SF is based on current accurate science and so could be seen as not fantasy at all. I also think that F&SF has had the tradition of being the most "literary" of Spec-fic pro mags. I like how you'll find authors like Joyce Carol Oats, Jeffery Ford, Lucius Shepard ect., in F&SF. So both magazines appeal to me, but I'm thinking F&SF may appeal to me more right now. I think I'll pick up the F&SF double, and the Asimov double should arrive soon. I think both will be great. I especially think Gardners last two issues should be strong.

R.Wilder
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:14 am:   

Subscribe to both, StephenB. Donnot forsake your duty as an SFF fan to support the magazines with subscription. Get two year subscriptions to both 'zines. You will not regret it. And know in your heart that you are one of the stalwart ones, part of the hearty foundation of "F&SF" and "Asimov's." Help to ensure that the genre flourishes. These publications are laboratories where the genre bubbles and steams and cooks. C'mon, dude, you know you want to...

StephenB
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:19 am:   

Dude if I had the money I probably would. I'm a college student so its also a matter of time. I'm taking an english lit course this fall and I also like to read other things besides magazines. This year I've had a sub to Asimovs, why not switch it up and get a sub to F&SF next year? down the road I can always switch back and forth, and sometimes get both of course. I do have a feeling that some of the regular writers of Asimovs, will no longer send their best stuff as consistently, because Garnder is no longer Editor. Gardner was the top editor in the field because of his length as editor and his prestige of awards, and his integrity as editor. I'd say now Gordon has inherited that role as print editor. Although Stanly has been doing this for a long time, Anolog seems to appeal to a different crowd, and I think it emphasises the science and ideas, above the actual writing.

R.Wilder
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:27 am:   

StephenB, put a few Saturday's party money towards a sub for both.

TCO
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:13 pm:   

Analog kick all y'all's azzes.

R.Wilder
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:49 pm:   

Cannot deny the Analog. History shall affirm it.

TCO
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:46 pm:   

If the glove does not fit, you must acquit.

E Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 10:59 am:   

Dude if I had the money I probably would. I'm a college student so its also a matter of time.

I have subscriptions to both, and I am also a college student with a college student amount of money. I put the subscriptions on my Christmas list and handed my parents the subscription information. Maybe that will work for you. :-)

As for not having enough time, tell me about it, I'm almost a year behind in two magazines, but they are just like books...they wait patiently for me on the shelves.

Sheila Williams
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 09:33 am:   

StephenB, we've appreciated your support of Asimov's thus far, and hope that you'll continue to read and enjoy it. Since I started editing the magazine, we've received some wonderful new stories by writers such as Connie Willis, Susan Palwick, Jim Grimsley, Gene Wolfe, Ian McDonald, Kris Rusch, Mike Resnick, Walter Jon Williams, Esther Friesner, other well-known names, and some exciting new authors. I'm sure Gordon has as many excellent stories coming up, too, so I hope you'll have the chance to read both magazines.

RW
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 11:49 am:   

Both, StephenB, both! It's only the price of a really good night at the bar.

TCO
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 12:36 pm:   

Just hang out on the message boards instead.

Thomas R
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 04:04 pm:   

Hey Sheila! Sounds like a good year then. I was considering dropping my subscription and just buying an occasional issue from the bookstore, turns out the local one does carry Asimov's, but maybe I'll stick with it after all. I'd just considered it for financial reasons.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 09:07 pm:   

Like I said, I'll probably go one or the other. I'm sure I'd be happy either way, and both will have some good fiction. If I switch to F&SF next year, it will be for some variety, a new flavour. Shelia I guess I shouldn't jump to any conclusions about the magazine under your leadership, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Bill G
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 05:21 am:   

Subscribe to as many sf mags as you can. Having too much to read is a problem, but not having enough to read is a disaster.

(I suppose the editors around here will laugh at the concept of not having enough to read.)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators