HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Oct/Nov 2008 issue

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Oct/Nov 2008 issue « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon_van_gelder
Username: Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 704
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 08:53 am:   

THE MAGAZINE OF
FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION
October/November • 60th Year of Publication

NOVELETS
Days of Wonder -54- Geoff Ryman
The Visionaries -126- Robert Reed
Planetesimal Dawn -201- Tim Sullivan

SHORT STORIES
Inside Story -6- Albert E. Cowdrey
Sleepless Years -41- Steven Utley
The New York Times At Special Bargain Rates -99- Stephen King
Dazzle Joins the Screenwriter’s Guild -108- Scott Bradfield
Going Back in Time -155- Laurel Winter
Private Eye -158- Terry Bisson
Whoever -174- Carol Emshwiller
Evidence of Love in a Case of Abandomnent: One Daughter’s Personal Account -192- M. Rickert
The Scarecrow’s Boy -231- Michael Swanwick

POEMS
December 22, 2012 -173- Sophie M. White

DEPARTMENTS
Books to Look For -29- Charles de Lint
Musing on Books -36- Michelle West
Plumage from Pegasus: Till Human Voices Shake Us,and We Frown -95- Paul Di Filippo
Films: Things That Go Clank in the Night -149- Lucius Shepard
Coming Attractions -182-
Science: Rocks in Space -183- Paul Doherty and Pat Murphy
Competition #76 -239-
Curiosities -242- Fred Chappell

Cartoons: Arthur Masear (98, 125), J.P. Rini (107).
COVER: "NEW BEGINNING" BY MAX BERTOLINI

Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 06:57 am:   

We've sent out the copies that need to be mailed and there are about 20 copies left in the box, so let's do another bloggers' giveaway.

Here's the deal:

1) Go to our "Contact Us" page: http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/contact.htm

2) Say you'll blog about the issue and tell us where to mail your copy of the issue.

3) Receive the issue and blog about it. Naturally, we prefer if you read the issue before blogging about it, but I'm just insisting that you blog about it. (The first time we tried this promotion, people mistakenly thought they should blog about the magazine before receiving the issue. No. Get the issue first, then blog about it. Say anything you like about the issue.)

4) Send us a link to your blog.

That's all there is to it, except to say that if you were in on the blogging promotion for our July or August issue, please sit this one out.

I'll post here when we run out of the giveaway copies.

Spread the word!

Normanlake
Username: Normanlake

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:28 am:   

I just received OCT/NOV in the mail (19 Aug) which is only ten days after I received the September issue. The new stories must really be smoking!

John_thiel
Username: John_thiel

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 04:02 pm:   

Nice to see a work by Asimov's forumnist Byron Bailey in there among the contest winners. Bailey's success was being discussed over there but was apparently removed as a flame war.

I take it the word "in" is the actual title selected by the author in the story with the strike-outs in the title? ..hm, well, easy reading, it's the only relevent word. Another great little short-short here, like the Morrissey piece a couple of years back.

The new competition is a stunner. SF has too much slang in the titles these days for a successful translation. I'm trying ANDERESLICH WELT for OTHERWORLD and feel like it should really be UNAUSPRECHLICHEN WELTENSHAUUNG.
I've got biff and zow

Fabrice_d
Username: Fabrice_d

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 03:03 pm:   

Didn't even noticed that flamewar.

Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   

Here's a blog posted about this issue: http://www.highlandersbooks.com/2008/08/22/fantasy-science-fiction-magazine-octn ov-2008/

Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 718
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   

And here's another blogger: http://ravenspb.livejournal.com/171445.html

Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 719
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   

Another: http://solipcyst.blogspot.com/2008/08/gold-standard-discussed-in-this-post.html

Lucius
Username: Lucius

Post Number: 7503
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   

Gordon, I thought I'd post this extract from my blog on your topic...Hope you don't mind.

"Gordon has been posting on his Nightshade Board some reactions to the latest issue and I have noticed some adverse reaction to my review of Iron Man, particularly to the fact that I made fun of a "fanboy." One claims that my taste is stuck in the mid-70s. Since that was the last millieu during which Hollywood cared about little things like story and character development, I'll go along with that to an extent, but most of my favorite movies have been made in the last 20 years...they just don't happen to comic book movies, or even American movies for the most part. For those of you who don't recall, in the review I included an imaginary dialog with a fan of Iron Man. I did, in fact, make fun of him, and would do so if he were a real person who expressed those opinions the imaginary fan expressed in the review, but it was hardly (as one person characterized it) venomous. I know many such people and get along with them and argue with them and we call each other names, and then we go have a drink or see a movie. That word "venomous" is used in regard to my reviews quite often, yet when Liz Hand tears into a book like Twilight, she's applauded...though I would say her review was every bit as venomous and vicious as mine. It makes me wonder if people don't take criticism of their taste in movies personally, more so than they do their taste in books. They tend to get defensive about movies, say the movie was "fun" and so forth, it provided them a well needed break, etc., but you rarely see them jump to the defense of a book (with a few notable exceptions, Harry Potter etc.) If that's true, it's interesting, albeit inexplicable...or not inexplicable, but difficult to fathom at this late hour when I'm ready for sleep. Given that it is true, and it seems so to me, does anyone have any thoughts on the subject? Is it just that I am an evil fanboy-hating reviewer with a talent for venomous insult unrivaled in their experience? I doubt it. There must be some more substantial reason.

"I'll sleep on it."

Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 721
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 07:51 pm:   

Lucius---

I don't mind at all. As it happened, I saw your blog post and was going to mention it here.

For what it's worth, a couple of thoughts on this subject:

1) I thought your imaginary slacker buddy in the IRON MAN review was funny, but someone who doesn't know you personally might not see the ribbing as being as good-natured as I read it to be. I think that good nature is there on the page, but more and more, I'm finding people don't catch any nuance in the things they read (especially online).

2) If Liz had created a fictional fifteen-year-old Stephenie Meyer fan for her review and then mocked the imaginary teen for being callow or for responding favorably to Meyer's pro-abstinence message, I suspect there would have been a huge outcry.

3) It is entirely possible that you have more talent for venemous insult than the bloggers have ever encountered before. They might well be amateurs who have never before seen a pro at work.

None of which is to say that I had a problem with your review or that I'd like to see you change your approach. Yo, dude, rock on!

Lucius
Username: Lucius

Post Number: 7504
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 01:58 am:   

Points taken, Gordon. As far as rocking on, next up, Babylon ADD...

Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 07:56 am:   

Here's another blogger who's starting to cover the issue: http://gabriel-writes.livejournal.com/33642.html

Lukedjlaw
Username: Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 03:16 pm:   

I kid the Loosh! :-)

Many smart people think that Hollywood started going downhill with Star Wars in 1976.

Lukedjlaw
Username: Lukedjlaw

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 04:52 pm:   

I haven't but I think I tracked it down. Is it this one?

"Although slightly biased, I firmly believe that science fiction is the true literature of the twentieth century, and probably the last literary form to exist before the death of the written word and the domination of the visual image.
. . .
With Star Wars the pendulum seems to be swinging the other way, towards huge but empty spectacles with the special effects-- like the brilliantly designed space vehicles and their interiors in both Star Wars and 2001-- preside over derivative ideas and unoriginal plots, as in some massively financed stage where the sets and costumes are lavish but there are no tunes."

http://books.google.com/books?id=T6Tft-LmkosC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=ballard+%22star+ wars%22&source=web&ots=isU8oefwB8&sig=tS66r0nlBsHwu9wCIX7t1s6z8us&hl=en&sa=X&oi= book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA15,M1

Byron_bailey
Username: Byron_bailey

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 05:47 pm:   

I was in the same publication with Lucius Shepard performing an evisceration? I'm honored.

I say let the venom flow.

Clint_harris
Username: Clint_harris

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 07:38 am:   

Lucius's reviews are nearly always dripping with venom. That's why we read them. Nobody says you have to agree with them.

Byron_bailey
Username: Byron_bailey

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   

On reflection, venom is maybe not the right word for what Lucius Shepard frequently does. Venom has a pettiness and pretensiousness to it like a snake that's small and tiny and the only reason anyone respects it is because it has fangs dripping with the deadly stuff. There's something sneaky about venom while there's nothing sneaky about Lucius's reviews.

Normally, I'm opposed to capital punishment, but with Lucius Shepard's movie reviews, I'm in favor of it. That's what many -- far from all but many -- of his reviews amount to: a public execution. It's a little justice against the movies that have raped our minds, killed our brain cells, savaged our souls. Judge, jury, and especially executioner rolled into one, a seemingly dark force but ultimately a necessary force in bringing about change -- that's Lucius Shepard.

Grind that axe, executioner. Where justice is in need, where the kindest mercy is to put a movie out if its misery, there stands Lucius Shepard. Or is that Lucius Severian with his glorious sword Terminus Est poised to put the wretched piece of Hollywood crap out of our misery if not its misery?

I'm hoping for a new Hollywood if not a new sun out of him.

John_thiel

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   

He's exulting over his inclusion in the issue.
I've got biff and zow

John_thiel

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 05:12 pm:   

Anybody who hasn't found the new forum? The topic of this issue was taken up there. I don't find my earlier comments on the issue on either board---that was a year ago, maybe I only thought the comments I had.

If you're still interested in this grand issue and haven't seen it at the new forum, look it up. I've added full comments on the issue there. The new forum can be found at the top of the F&SF home page, called "forum" instead of "message board."
I've got biff and zow

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |