HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Trying to identify an FSF story from ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Identifying Old Stories » Trying to identify an FSF story from the 1950s « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Reynolds
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 07:12 am:   

A prisoner invents an "other half" called a "Eustace". A funny story but can anyone remember what is was called an who it was by?

Alan T. Sippola
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 05:35 pm:   

Steve --

Is this the $64,000 question? ;-)

If you could possibly be a bit more specific with your request, I may be able to assist you in locating it.

I need to know whether or not this sought after story actually appeared in the pages of "Fantasy & Science Fiction", or was it in some other fantastic fiction magazine, from that era? Or, was it a full-blown novel, published during that time?

Any additional information which you could possibly provide at this time would be greatly appreciated in helping me to pinpoint it. With what scant info that I have to work with now which you gave earlier, it makes it quite difficult for something like this to find.

No guarantees that I can find it. But I'll see what I can do for you, if no one else here knows of it.

~ Alan ~

Thomas R
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 07:36 pm:   

Could this be The Short Happy Life of Eustace Weaver by Fredric Brown? No, looking it up it couldn't as that was a time travel story and not about a prisoner.

Mark Stackpole
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 08:42 pm:   

The Eustase story is "Plus X" by Eric Frank Russell first published in Astounding Science Fiction (1956). It was expanded to "The Space Willies" (1958), and expanded further into "Next of Kin" (1959).

The novel version is currently available in "Entities : the selected novels of Eric Frank Russell" by the NESFA Press (2001). And the short story version in "Major ingredients : the selected short stories of Eric Frank Russell" also by the NESFA Press (2000).

Gorden Russell
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 02:42 pm:   

If you can't find the older books, just remember the song, "Love the one you're with." This book shoud be easier to find, here is a newer collection with EFR and many other important writers:

The mammoth book of science fiction /
Carroll & Graf Publishers, 2002.
Description: viii, 498 p. ; 20 cm.

Edition: 1st Carroll & Graf ed.

Notes: "First published in the UK by Robinson, an imprint of Constable & Robinson Ltd., 2002"

Contents: The next step / Mike Ashley -- Ulla, Ulla / Eric Brown -- Deathday / Peter F. Hamiliton -- The inifintie assassin / Greg Egan -- Anachron / Damon Knight -- Firewatch / Connie Willis -- At the "me" shop / Robert Reed -- Vinland the dream / Kim Stanley Robinson -- A ticket to Tranai / Robert Sheckley -- The exit door leads in / Philip K. Dick -- What have I done? Mark Clifton -- Finis / Frank Lillie Pollock -- The last days of Earth / George C. Wallis -- Approaching Perimelasma / Geoffrey A. Landis -- The pen and the dark / Colin Kapp -- Inanimate objection / H. Chandler Elliott -- The very pulse of the engine / Michael Swanick -- High eight / Keith Roberts -- Shards / Brian W. Aldiss -- Except my life3 / John Morressy -- Into your tent I'll creep / Eric Frank Russell / A death in the house / Clifford D. Simak -- Refugium / Stephen Baxter.

Subjects: Science fiction, English.
Science fiction, American.

Genre: Science fiction.

Additional Authors: Ashley, Michael, 1948-

ISBN: 0786710047 (pbk.)

Total Copies Owned: 1

Total Holds: 0

This is just clipped and pasted from the Onondaga Library Catalogue. Notice the John Morressy, Michael Swanick, Clifford D. Simak, Damon Knight, Robert Reed, Connie Willis, Kim Stanley Robinson...need I go on? Love the one you're with.

I don't know why they say that anthologies don't sell. All the best fiction is in anthologies. I only wish I'd ordered the F&SF collection of best Alternate Universes before I gave the issue away that had the ad.

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 04:16 pm:   

Gorden,

If you're talking about _One Lamp: Alternate History Stories from The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction_, you can order that from any bookstore. Or, you can call 1-800-788-3123 to order by credit card.

Here's a link to the book at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1568582765/ref=ase_fourwallseightw iA/103-1306232-0996656?v=glance&s=books

Gorden Russell
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 08:43 am:   

Okay, done. While there I found the copy of D.F. Lewis' Weirdmonger that I thought I'd ordered weeks ago still waiting in my shopping cart. That is the busiest damn web site I've every visited. Back when I was an advertising student such a page would be called "Borax" for its profligacy of options. But it did get me the One Lamp if I did things correctly this time...as well as the one Turtledove book NOT in the Onondaga County Library system (they would have all of the other 52 or so titles on the stacks). One book I just had to pick out was Stars--Original Stories Based on Songs of Janis Ian. I could not believe that other people also did that. I just thought I was weird that way.

James A Borland
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:55 am:   

I was 16 in 1954 when I read a story that I have never forgotten. It was about a man that was transported back in time and met a girl named Josette. Seems they fell in love and she presented him with a broach or pin that was inscribed "Love always, and courage, Josette" He found himself back in his present time and wondered if it was all a dream, or did it actually happen? Did he travel back in time and did he meet and fall in love with a girl named Josette? He was later walking past an antique shop and looked in the window, and there was an identical broach.. He went in and when he opened it up, there was an inscription that read, "Love always, and courage, Josette." I've never forgotten that story and wonder if anyone remembers it. I'm now 66 and would love to re-read that wonderful tale.

Jim Raper
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 08:45 pm:   

I'm going to guess this story appeared 60's or 70's. I'm pretty sure it was a novelette or continued story over two or more issues in F&SF.

The story was of about the continuing battle between Lucifer and God. Only this time Lucifer wins! But the final joke is when Lucifer realizes that he hasn't won so much as he just takes over as caretaker for the universe God created. He accuses God of playing unfairly as he(Lucifer) finds that he can't really change what has been set in motion and is forced to be "God-like" in his job as caretaker of God's universe.

Does anyone remember this story? I would like to read it again

Jimmy Scalfano
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   

Hello Jim,

It sounds like your referring to the twin James Blish novels Black Easter and The Day After Judgement.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators