HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

New F&SF Column: Classic Pulp Story R...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » New F&SF Column: Classic Pulp Story Revival « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave_truesdale
Username: Dave_truesdale

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 01:25 pm:   

My latest column is now up at:
http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2008/dt0807.htm

Dealing with Leigh Brackett, Ed Hamilton, Jack Williamson, Planet Stories, Thrilling Wonder Stories, The Shadow, Doc Savage and much, much, more. Learn about how Street & Smith magazine publishers, one time the largest magazine publisher in the world, sold everything but kept ASTOUNDING. Learn how Batman and Superman were modeled on The Shadow and Doc Savage. Read Harlan Ellison's account of how he told Alfred Bester on his deathbed he had been named Grand Master.

The eroticism in C.L. Moore's classic story "Black God's Kiss"... Book covers, photo of Brackett and Hamilton, and more.

As much as anything can be guaranteed in this life, I guarantee there will be something of interest in this one for everyone. :-)

Dave

Marian
Username: Marian

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 04:31 pm:   

Interesting. I know there's some small new emags like Spaceships and Six Guns (or have I reversed the order) that specifically say they're interested in stories in the old pulp style.

Ee_knight
Username: Ee_knight

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 06:49 am:   

Awesome job, Dave!

Dave_truesdale

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 03:54 pm:   

Very glad to know you liked it, E.E. Thanks very much!

Dave

Mlibling
Username: Mlibling

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   

Really great piece, Dave. Loved it, in fact. You've expanded my shopping list significantly.

While not quite in the same nostalgic vein, "new" or otherwise, I'm curious if you've read David Hajdu's The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America. The Golden Age of comics and the Golden Age of SF would seem to have run hand in hand.

Dave_truesdale

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 04:34 pm:   

Very glad you liked the piece, Michael. Thank you.

No, haven't read the Hajdu book. Is it anything akin to Fred Wertham's anti-comic book position that led to the comics code back in the 50s?

Used to be a huge comics fan, btw. Had around 10,000 in the late 60s, but ended up selling them to (the late) Mark Gruenwald in the late 70s, who went to work for Marvel in the late 70s/early 80s and worked for them for a long time.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave_truesdale

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 07:36 pm:   

Well, I'm of course quite partial with DC superhero comics from the early 60s through the mid-70s, when Life sorta took the front seat.

Comics have changed so radically since then I'm really not the one to ask for recent recs. But boy did I have fun in the lettercols of Batman, Detective, The Flash, and others in the mid to late 60s! There were about half a dozen of us "regulars" in a lot of the issues. Heck, even Scott Edelman's wife, Irene Vartanoff, and I shared quite a few lettercols. And Guy H. Lillian III, who edits the Hugo-nominated fanzine CHALLENGER, was in there with us, too.

Ah, the good old days. :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |