HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

2008 Nebula Fiction Winners

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » 2008 Nebula Fiction Winners « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave_truesdale
Username: Dave_truesdale

Post Number: 388
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   

Congratulations to this year's Nebula fiction winners. Special congrats to F&SF, Gordon Van Gelder, and Ted Chiang.

NOVEL
THE YIDDISH POLICEMEN'S UNION by Michael Chabon (HarperCollins)

NOVELLA
"Fountain of Age" by Nancy Kress (Asimov's Jul 2007)

NOVELETTE
"The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" by Ted Chiang (F&SF, Sept. 2007, & Subterranean Press)

SHORT STORY
"Always" by Karen Joy Fowler (Asimov's Apr/May 2007)

Shamm
Username: Shamm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   

Hey Dave,

Did you find any sfnal content in "Always," and if so, where? That story makes "What I Didn't See" look like "All You Zombies."

Gordon_van_gelder
Username: Gordon_van_gelder

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:51 am:   

I got back from the Nebs last night. It was a good ceremony. Mike Moorcock gave a great acceptance speech for his Grand Master honor. Michael Chabon was gracious and charming in accepting his award, Nancy Kress spoke about how strong the novella category was, Karen Fowler was surprised and pleased to take the honor this year, and I managed (despite losing the printout and having to go online 30 minutes before the ceremony) to find and read Ted's acceptance speech, which spoke of how wonderful the Nebula Awards anthoologies have been and how nice it was to be part of the great tradition.

Dave_truesdale
Username: Dave_truesdale

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 04:38 pm:   

Shamm,

Not really. And as you might expect, I'm not pleased. Which is another reason I prefer the Hugos.

As Mike Resnick has said many times, the year SFWA voted to do away with requal it became nothing more than a fan organization. Part of that same general mindset has led to non-sf stories (no matter how good or well written or blah blah blah) winning Nebulas.

Best,
Dave

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |