HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Vampire Academy

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Vampire Academy « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Radu_r_eugen
Username: Radu_r_eugen

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 02:22 am:   

This book by Richelle Mead (reviwed in february F&SF) gave me a weird feeling.
In her book you have Moroi, who are mortal vampires bound to elements in a war with Strigoi, basically your average immortal, powerful vampires.
Now, I am a romanian, and moroi and strigoi are as familiar to me from childhood as werewolves and mermaids are familiar to american kids. The thing is, moroi and strigoi are not vampires...they are supranatural creatures indeed, but ghosts or spirits.
I don't understand, if you want to write about a special kind of Vampire, why give it the name of another mythological creature, extremely different, instead of inventing a term/name for it?

Here is a (clumsy) translation from "Romanian Mythology" by Simion Florea Marian, concerning moroi:

"The Moroi, as romanians believe and imagine, are little strigoi which were the "lost" children, meaning children born out of time, or children born dead, or children that die before being baptized. These children, up to the seventh year, come and ask for milk from their mothers. But after the seventh year since their burial, every night they will raise from their graves and cry "baptism!" for three times in a row, and if someone happens to pass by and hear them and baptise them, they return in their graves and find their peace. But if nobody baptizes them, they become Moroi and bring fear and terror to anyone who meets them or hears them or pass by their burial place..."

Of course, moroi and strigoi are not "famous supranatural creatures", but still...I mean, would you be comfortable reading a book where a species of vampires called Mermaid fights with another type of vampires called doppelgangers?

Greg
Username: Greg

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 09:41 am:   

That would probably be a good cover story for an author who's been caught not doing the necessary homework.

I understand Radu's annoyance. When I catch a careless error it takes a lot away from the credibility of the story. My suspension of disbelief is immediately suspended.
GSH

Byron_bailey
Username: Byron_bailey

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 01:38 pm:   

The mermaid slipped out of the water to feed. Her fangs, inch-long and designed to pierce a jugular in one bite, gleamed in the moonlight. So to did her breasts. Ah, her breasts, her secret weapon that elevated her beyond a mere vampire -- did a vampire have jugs like this, each of them capable of storing a full litre of blood for future consumption? The mortals also couldn't stop staring at them. Squid to a fisherman's lantern. She salivated at the thought of fishermen. Fisherman's blood, better than dolphin's blood any night even if fishermen were probably the less intelligent species. They were certainly a whole lot easier to catch.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |