HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Recent Movies Worth the Price of Popcorn

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction » Recent Movies Worth the Price of Popcorn « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marian
Username: Marian

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 05:59 pm:   

I Am Legend -- Great opening scenes. Whole first third makes it a classic. Last two thirds trivialize the whole thing but it's still worth seeing.

The Golden Compass. I enjoyed it mildly.

This topics a toughy as frankly I haven't been impressed with the recent movies. I'm hoping someone will come up with a "must see"

Marian

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 04:34 pm:   

Indiana Jones and the Quest For Another Raiders of the Lost Ark works as an action movie yet seems to be sneering at its audience, as in "I know you're just looking for video game action so that's what I'll give you."

Marian

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 01:16 pm:   

Kung Fu Panda is surprisingly a lot of fun. The art work is fabulous. I suspect there are a lot of insider references to real kung fu movies that I missed

Marian

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 02:58 pm:   

How was Get Smart? I keep hearing contradictory reviews on whether it's funny or not.

The_nameless_city
Username: The_nameless_city

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   

I rented Cloverfield and still got a bit nauseated by the hand-carried-camera technique, even on the small screen. The monster's offspring jumping off it and attacking people ruined it for me, that was one step too far. Also I tend to dislike movies (with a few exceptions) about cute young urban rich up-and-comers, no matter what they are doing or experiencing. Glad I did not pay to see this in a theater. It did not live up to its hype but few ever do.

After Cloverfield I popped in the original US b/w version of "Godzilla" and liked it much better.

Gregory_bernard_banks
Username: Gregory_bernard_banks

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 01:07 pm:   

Nameless,

A lot of people (me included) haven't seen Cloverfield yet, so you should at least warn us if you're going to give spoilers. I'm personally in no hurry to see it, or am I really worried about spoilers, but I'm just saying, you know?
WheelMan Press (www.wheelmanpress.com)
"Contemporary Fiction for a Speculative World"

Clint_harris
Username: Clint_harris

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 09:07 am:   

It was certainly better than I expected. I liked how the previous recorded video kept bleeding through the tape. I fast-forwarded through the first part of the movie though. I hated the characters. By the time the Statue of Liberty's head went bouncing down 34th St. I was ready for blood. Yuppie douchebag blood.

The part of that movie that pissed me off, as with all movies of that particular method is there is no suspension of disbelief. Anyone ANYONE would have chucked the camera and run like a sonuvabitch a long time ago. Nobody ever thinks to have the "video" shot by an obsessive aspiring journalist or anything either. Blair Witch. Cloverfield. Neither had people "shooting" the video that were believable in their obsession with filming. You see these guys on CNN filming what turns out to be their own death by crossfire in a war zone and yes, that I believe. But they haven't got the personalities right in movies so far for this sort of drive.

Yeah, right, the twenty-something slacker who can't even be considerate enough to put in a blank tape is going to film the whole thing. Why?

But I did like the concept. Pissed off monster attacks city. Not Godzilla. Something infinitely creepier. I think I heard rumors Cloverfield was supposed to be Cthulhu or Dagon or something too. That would have been cooler than "random giant monster attacks NYC." Very eerie in comparison to the 9/11 videos we've all seen. The mood was excellent, just not the right impetus for why we are watching the video.

Gregory_bernard_banks
Username: Gregory_bernard_banks

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 09:27 am:   

Ah, yes, I do remember hearing something about parasites before. Nevermind.
WheelMan Press (www.wheelmanpress.com)

Marian

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 09:01 pm:   

WallE is unexpectedly good, especially the whole first section that does world building showing an earth inhabited by only one lonely robot, a trashcompactor who is picking up the debris left behind by man. I didn't like the second half as well but still overall good. Glad it's doing well at the box office.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |