Geeks with Books query Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Klaw, Rick » Geeks with Books query « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick Klaw
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 10:47 am:   

I am curious. My Geeks With Books columns could be divided into three types:

1) The inner workings of the bookstore. You know where I talk about how booksellers think. The vast majority of my earlier columns were like this.

2) Opinions on the goings on in sf. Things like my commentaries on publishing, sf tv and the like.

3) What I like to call my pissed off columns. The ones where I see injustice and feel I need to talk about it. My current column is a perfect example.

What do y'all prefer? I've gotten differing opinions from people I know, but I'd like to hear from y'all out there.

Thanks.

Rick

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 06:06 pm:   

Honestly, I haven't read them consistently, but I have been reading them on and off since you starting writing them . . . and I enjoy them all. I'll have to go back and read a few to get an idea of which ones fall into which categories.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 08:01 pm:   

I probably have enjoyed the ones about working in a bookstore the most, but that's because of my own history of working in bookstores.

I like reading whatever you have to say.

JK

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 10:53 pm:   

Rick... I've faced a similiar dilema with my Corona column... At first, I tried to focus exclusively on stuff about the "industry" but last fall, I sort of flipped out and went on a political rant that I sort of tied to SF via P. K. Dick.

Sadly, things have only gotten worse since then. My attempt at making a differnce in the world seems to have failed miserably.

My last attempt at a column was a rant about R.E.Howard, which illicited an email from Halburton. (well, from someone who worked at Halburton.) It's a small, strange world.

I love your bookstore topics... particular the ones where you go off about "books that people should publish, because they are out of print, and disapeer as soon as they come in". I'm taking notes. Don't know If I will get to themany time soon, but I'm taking notes. :-)

Your last column was very enjoyable too. It's nice to know that if I'm crazy, at least others are here with me.

Luís Rodrigues
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:07 am:   

Hi Rick,

Personally, I like the bookstore articles, in part because there are so few (at least good ones) lying about. Pissed off is good too. But I generally enjoy your column.

Cheers,
Luís

Rick Klaw
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 08:53 am:   

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like y'all enjoy the mish mash.

Rick

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 09:08 am:   

I like any sort of mash: mish, monster, sour...it's all good.

JK

Mastadge
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 09:35 am:   

I'm partial to potato mash.

Rick Klaw
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 05:13 pm:   

Long as y'all enjoy my particular brand of Klaw mash, you can enjoy whatever ya like.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration