Guilty Pleasures Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Klaw, Rick » Guilty Pleasures « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick Klaw
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:30 pm:   

Jeff Vandermeer started a thread on sports and during the conversation the viewing of Elimnidate came up.

So I was wondering what other sorts of guilty pleasures authors enjoy?

Actually I've been known to watch Jerry Springer and Blind Date as well as Elmnidate. Really depends what is on when I sit down. My single biggest guilty pleasure is well known. I'm gorilla nutty. I'll watch almost any movie or TV show with simians. I've made a habit of buying comics with gorilla covers. I own several stuffed gorillas, a King Kong action figure, a jar of Gorilla bbq sauce (thanks Mike & Linda), way cool Jumbo King swingin' toy(thanks, Mike), and various other sundry gorilla things.

Rick

Chris Roberson
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:33 pm:   

My recent guilty pleasure? After getting my new Digital Video Recorder (a kind of Tivo-esque offering from Time Warner Cable), I was amazed to find the vast amounts of schlocky TV programming during the daylight hours, when I'm usually at an office pretending to work. With the magic of techology, I had only to press a few buttons, and dozens of hours of crap TV I'd otherwise never have seen were there at my disposal.

Which brings me to the guilty pleasure part. I've spent three hours the last two nights watching the first few episodes of that classic crap series "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century", starring Gil Gerard, Erin Grey, and the voice of Mel Blanc. I just love the swaggering machismo of the show, and the pretense that this time-lost, plain-spoken jock astronaut is better at EVERYTHING than anyone else in the future. I have fond memories of seeing the pilot at a drive-in theater with my dad in '77 (back when they'd release television pilots to first run theaters before airing them on prime time), and as soon as the theme music started playing, cheesy effects and smug Seventies sexism and all, I couldn't help but grin.

But it does remind me how badly we've been cheated, now that the future's arrived. Where's my obedient little midget robot, with its strangely phallic head and voice of a thousand cartoon stars? Shouldn't someone have invented those by now?

Luís
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:01 am:   

I love B movies, even the really bad ones. In fact, the worse, the better. :-) Haven't seen one of those in a while, though.

Ah, Buck Rogers! I haven't watched an episode of it since I was 6 or 7 . . . I believe DVDs are out, but I'm afraid that watching them now would only spoil the memories. Other tv series I liked: SPACE 1999 and AUTOMAN (mostly because of the car, I confess!)

Best, Luís

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration