December Asimov's Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Roberson, Chris » December Asimov's « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Roberson
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 01:43 pm:   

Just received my subscriber copy of the December issue of Asimov's, on the cover of which some kind soul saw fit to include my name. My story (which the last issue referred to as a "brilliant Asimov's debut," if you can believe it) is called "Red Hands, Black Hands," a sort-of sequel to my story "O One" (Sidewise Award winning, World Fantasy nominated, and other self-congratulatory blah-blah). I'm really pleased with the story, and even more pleased Gardner bought it for Asimov's. (Thanks, Gardner!) I'm not sure when the issue is due to show up on newsstands, but if anyone has a chance to read it, I'd love to know what you think.

Lou Anders
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 06:06 pm:   

Well, I read it and thought it was brilliant. But I cheated and read it ages ago.
I need to get a copy of the issue though, but Asimov's has disappeared from my local newsstands!

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 04:51 pm:   

My copy's on the shelf...if you could write about librarians I could incorporate it into my graduate studies, otherwise I might have to wait until December to read the December issue. I also have a mass-market edition of LIVE WITHOUT A NET to read, too. Looking forward to both!

JK

Jess Nevins
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 09:45 am:   

Hey, congrats!

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 06:10 pm:   

And Nick Gevers apparently favorably calls out the story in a review of the new Asimov's in the upcoming Locus!

Chris Roberson
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 03:11 pm:   

The Locus with the review of December's Asimov's premiered at WFC, and Nick's review of my story was favorable, to say the least. Incredibly generous. Here's what he had to say:

"The highly talented Chris Roberson, recent winner of the Sidewise Award for his story “O One”, continues that tale’s vein of opulent Sinophilia in “Red Hands, Black Hands” – in this alternate timeline, Imperial China dominates the world in place of Europe – but exacerbates the peculiarity of the setting by transferring it to a partly terraformed Mars ruled by the Mandarins. The Emperor’s oppressive writ runs severely, and a woman novelist, part of a circle of rather dilettantish bohemians, becomes involved in serious seditious activity, falling in love with a revolutionary and spreading his propaganda via her writings (which include an opera libretto portraying a uchronia under Aztec supremacy, wheels within counterfactual wheels…). The atmosphere is sumptuous, the invention lavish; the experience of reading the story is mind-expanding."

Jess Nevins
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 09:30 am:   

Rock on, Chris!

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:31 pm:   

I read the story Chris and thought it was pretty good. I really liked the exotic eastern/sci-fi setting. The ending was good, perhaps the best part of the story? Very climactic.

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 06:06 pm:   

Hey Congrats, Chris.
You've got another favorable review in the current Locus as well. Not as sumptuous, just a note that the story is very enjoyable and a plot description.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration