A Coffee Cup/Alien Invasion Story at ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Lain, Douglas » A Coffee Cup/Alien Invasion Story at Strange Horizons « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Douglas Lain
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   

My Coffee Cup/Alien Invasion Story is up at Strange Horizons. Please go read it or at least go look at the giraffe with a heart in his mouth.

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2005/20050207/coffee-cup-f.shtml

Nels
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 02:34 pm:   

And what a beautiful giraffe it is...

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   

Doug Lain 101, taught by the master himself...
http://www.livejournal.com/users/douglain/166588.html

This "class" was inspired by the comments at the Strange horizons message boards here:
http://www.strangehorizons.com//ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=fiction&Numbe r=1297&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Keep up the good work Doug!

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 02:59 pm:   

Doug: I liked "A Coffee Cup...," your new story quite a bit. I had no problem with the structure or what others are calling the metafiction of it. I thought the end was very effective. I will say I liked a few of your other pieces more, but this one engaged me and I thought it paid off. Keep em coming.

Douglas Lain
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 07:33 pm:   

Jeff: I'm glad you liked it, even if you've like other stories more. I just bought some more ink for my pretentious fancy pen, so more should be coming eventually. It actually means a lot to me that you'd comment as I think your stories are remarkable.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 12:09 am:   

Hi Doug

That's a really good story. Thanks for posting the link. Enjoyed it very much. Long time no hear, eh?

Douglas Lain
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 02:26 pm:   

Hi Geoff

I just read Ben Peek's interview of you the other day. It has been a long time. Do you know what happened to the editor of Winedark Sea?

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 04:26 pm:   

No, they just disappeared without a trace after the first issue, and there wasn't even much discussion about it in Australia. Sometime later the website stopped operating as well. Lots of people in the spec community in Australia didn't really embrace Winedark Sea -- there's a huge divide between spec and literary in Australia, and I think Winedark Sea was seen as being too literary. I think there was one review that said it was full of wanky literary stories that go nowhere, or words to that effect. And I suspect that the literary crowd would have seen it as too SF. But I quite like that in-between territory. However, why it folded so quickly I have no idea. A mixed reception to a first issue is quite common -- so I guess there was some other reason. Perhaps realising just how much it costs to put an issue out, and not being able to recoup enough from sales to pay for a second. All supposition on my part.

The editor, Adrian Tan, is the brother of Sean Tan who has made quite name for himself with his cover art and illustrated childen's books.

Douglas Lain
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 04:58 pm:   

They might have sold more copies with some artwork on the cover instead of a pure black cover. Maybe Sean could have provided something for his son? I wonder what's up with Adrian now. I remember he offered to publish a collection of my work way back in 2000, at the time that would have been a collection of maybe five stories, and then I never heard from him again.

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."-Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration