On Writing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Caselberg, Jay » On Writing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:04 am:   

This has been prompted by a discussion elsewhere in Laura Anne's space.

I was doing an analysis of stories of mine that have done well, and it seems to be that stories I've actually been asked to write for a particular venue--whether they've appeared in that venue or not--have done better than those that have come from my twisted subconscious. Is this because I am turning of my conscious manipulation of my subconscious and then just tapping into it naturally or for some other reason?

I know this is some kind of strange navel gazing, but I am wondering, and also wondering whether there's a lesson there to be able to better improve what I write.

Liz
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 04:57 am:   

Having read a lot of both types of your fiction, I suspect you are accessing your twisted unconscious whether it is deliberately tapped or not. It's also worth noting that some of the stuff that hasn't yet sold seems not to have done so because it makes people so uncomfortable, particularly in the case of the novel.

In my own case, I don't notice any great difference between material that comes from the anguished soul and work that is, for want of a better term, more indirect, as far as sales are concerned. I've just written a very personal story as a revenge piece - will be interesting to see how long that takes to sell, if at all. But I am somewhat loathe to start tinkering with my own process in case I break it and have to send it back to the factory.

It's all so cosmic, man (sorry - I am still in Glastonbury library and it's starting to rub off).

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:26 am:   

Well, you already know my feelings on the process of using emotions in the execution of story. But I do think that a) you're always working out of that twisted underbrush you call a psyche, and b) your best work (no matter what its origin point) is done when you have a destination in mind.

We've discussed the book before. My professional opinion still stands.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 07:47 am:   

And your professional opinion is, of course, deeply valued. Hmm, we shall see what happens with said work.

About to kick into THE STAR TABLET now though and there's some real twists I am going to tap deliberately.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register