HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The Spiral Labyrinth

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hughes, Matthew » The Spiral Labyrinth « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt Hughes
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:30 am:   

The new Henghis Hapthorn novel, The Spiral Labyrinth, is now edited (my sincere thanks to Marty Halpern) and in production, with a scheduled publication date of September 1. The link will take you to the Amazon listing if you're inclined to pre-order.

There will be a regular hardcover (with trade paperback to follow in a year or so), and a signed, limited edition of 125 copies. The limited will include a Hapthorn short story of about 6,500 words, "Fullbrim's Finding," which I'm almost finished writing.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 09:32 am:   

The first chapter is now up on my web site. No art work yet, but it's coming. Click on the link below.

Matt Hughes
The Spiral Labyrinth

Matt Hughes
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 04:02 pm:   

Here's the Publishers Weekly review:

"The superior melding of fantasy, humor and detection seen in Majestrum (2006) is displayed to even better advantage in Hughes's second chronicle of Henghis Hapthorn, a “discriminator” (or consulting detective) on an alternate Earth. Aided by his “intuitive inner self,” Osk Rievor, and his faithful grinnet, an AI housed in an ape-cat body, Hapthorn accepts a request from wealthy socialite Effrayne Choweri to find her legendarily devoted and romantic husband, Chup, who vanished after looking into the purchase of a small spaceship. When the sleuth finds that several others who had considered buying the vessel also disappeared, he poses as a prospective buyer, only to be captured by a super-intelligent fungus seeking to expand its experience of reality by leeching the thoughts and knowledge of others. Hapthorn's wry first-person narration recalls Bertie Wooster, and Hughes effortlessly renders fantastic worlds and beings believable. News that a third adventure is in the works will surely please fans of many genres."

Gerry Daumiller
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 09:08 pm:   

This review sounds like it is giving away the whole story.

Wasn't this story recently in F&SF? Does the novel go someplace beyond where the story took us? Would you like me to think up any other rude questions?

Matt Hughes
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 09:23 pm:   

No, those'll do. Yes, the first two chapters ran as a story in F&SF. No, the review does not give away the whole story. You've got time travel, wizards, dragons, hordes of hungry insects, a flying boat, a captured demon. Lots of thrills and chills and artful dialog.

Gerry Daumiller
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   

OK,

I've ordered a signed copy!

Matt Hughes
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 08:45 am:   

Thank you, Gerry.

I've also just seen an advance of Nick Gevers's review that will run in next month's Locus, the trade magazine of the sf publishing industry. Nick says, "[the] climactic battle of wizards and monsters [is] possibly the best, and funniest, set-piece Hughes has written so far. Deliriously bizarre exoticism, in colourful, elegant language: the textures of *The Spiral Labyrinth* are something to savor."

Matt Hughes
The Spiral Labyrinth

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:29 am:   

And now the cover art is up on my web page, with Henghis and the grinnet aloft over Olkney in an air-car. Click on the thumbnail for a larger version.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   

Here's Paul Di Filippo's review on SCI FI Weekly.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:04 am:   

Booklist, the review journal of the American Library Association, says, "Resembling a futuristic hybrid of the arch escapades of Bertie Wooster and the thought-provoking cases of Sherlock Holmes, Hughes's Henghis Hapthorn novels delight intellect and imagination... Hughes's masterfully eloquent style and clever plot twisting provide Hapthorn with an investigative panache rivaling those of the leading sleuths of mainstream detective fiction."

Rande G. Jacobson
Username: Nightfall

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   

spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler alert!!!!!!!

Hi Matthew,
Finished reading The Spiral Labyrinth and I really enjoyed it.I like that you made his two personalities become two different bodies and that his Integrator is back to it's old self. That's the way it SHOULD be in the real world. lolol
Looking forward to the third installment of the series.
Yours is the first science fantasy series I've really gotten into.
Rande...

Matt_hughes
Username: Matt_hughes

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 03:51 am:   

Rande:

Thank you. I'm 56,000 words into Hespira and should have it done and turned in next month, which means it can be out in the early fall.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |