Black Brillion in paperback Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hughes, Matthew » Black Brillion in paperback « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt Hughes
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 04:02 pm:   

I suppose I should announce this here.

Just as it's coming out in mass market, I've received some nice comments from Norman Spinrad in Asimov's:

He says: There is nothing new about weirdness in fantasy either, nor is it really possible to top, say, Jack Vance in this regard, though with Black Brillion Matthew Hughes comes pretty close to equaling him. A witty new adventure in the gorgeous, ironic style of Jack Vance, sez the blurb on the galleys, and for once the copy writer has got it just right.

Pagoda
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 07:14 pm:   

cool gratz!

R.Wilder
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:34 am:   

I like mass markets, which means I'll buy it! Enjoyed "Help Wonted," btw, Matt.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 10:58 am:   

Thank you, R. Gordon's just bought another Guth Bandar story: "A Herd of Opportunity." It's a flashback to Guth's student days.

Eric Hoff
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:58 am:   

I just finished Black Brillion! Matthew Hughes books were the only item on my Christmas List, and received BB and Fool Me Twice from my wife.

I really loved the story! I really love your style and the story realm you've created. I was hooked on your work by the FS&F and Asimov's magazine stories you wrote (Gist Hunter in June and Thwarting Jabbi Gloond in August) so I'm looking forward to your new story too!

I'll also be picking up Fool's Errant and Gist Hunter ASAP. Thanks for these awesome stories!

Matt Hughes
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

You're very welcome. I'm supposed to turn in the first Hapthorn novel, Majestrum, by the end of March so it can be out from Night Shade this fall. I've ony got 23,000 words done so far so I've got to get down to it once the holidays are over.

And an editor at Penguin/Roc will be reading a new Archonate novel, Template, over the next couple of weeks. Finger-crossing time.

Eric Hoff
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 02:42 pm:   

Awesome! I hope they come through!

How many words does one of your novels typically contain before its considered finished?

Matt Hughes
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:04 pm:   

Black Brillion was 80,000. The one at Penguin is 85,000. I figure Majestrum will be about the same -- certainly, no more than 90,000.

Rande G. Jacobson
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 05:23 pm:   

Hello Matthew,
I just finished Black Brillion last night. Very good book. I wanted to go to bed but I reached the last 30 pages of the book and I couldn't put it down. THAT'S the way a story should end.
Rande...

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 06:07 pm:   

Thank you, Rande. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Majestrum is out in October.

And Guth Bandar's novel, The Commons, is now scheduled for a June 2007 release.

Matt Hughes
Archonate.com

Rande G. Jacobson
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 07:20 pm:   

Hello Matthew,
I really enjoy the short stories about Luff Imbry. When you have enough stories will there be a collection published?
I just ordered a copy of The Farouche Assemblage from Payseur & Schmidt.
Please keep the Archonate stories coming.
Rande...

Matt Hughes
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   

Rande:

I've only done four Imbry stories so far. I think he'd make a good collection if I can generate enough of them, but whether or not the collection could be published depends on the marketplace.

Perhaps I should pair him with Henghis Hapthorn, a la Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty. That's worth thinking about.

Rande G. Jacobson
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 06:02 pm:   

Professor Moriarty was a really EVIL bad guy. Imbry doesn't seem EVIL with capital letters. He's a bad guy you can admire from afar. At least that's how he comes across to me.
He was an interesting part of Black Brillion. I've been on his side in the short stories too. I think of him as slightly shady with a kind heart (buried really deep. lol)
Rande...

Matt Hughes
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 01:32 pm:   

On the other hand, Hapthorn is not purely good, so it could make for a nuanced relationship. I'm a great fan of nuance.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register