Come on in Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Hughes, Matthew » Come on in « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 10:50 am:   

I'm grateful to Night Shade for opening this discussion page for my work. I will check it frequently and will answer, as best I can, any questions readers may have.

I'm also happy to give advice on writing, as long as the recipients will accept that I have no formal training, no MFA in creative writing, not even a university degree, so all I can offer is what I've learned by doing.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com/

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:09 pm:   

"I'm also happy to give advice on writing, as long as the recipients will accept that I have no formal training, no MFA in creative writing, not even a university degree, so all I can offer is what I've learned by doing."

Doing is good. I checked out some of the MFA programs in Indiana and looked at what the instructors wrote and frankly, I reached the conclusion that I don't want to write like them for the most part. They tend to not be very sympathetic to speculative fiction from what I encountered, too.

Bob Kruger
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 09:53 pm:   

Hi, Matt,

Welcome to the boards here. Have you recovered from Tempe yet? I'm still working on it.

Bob

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   

I haven't recovered from Tempe, but I'm off to Orycon in the early morning. Self-promotion is a demanding taskmistress.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 07:16 am:   

It's great to have you on board Matt. I hope Orycon goes well.
-JL

Ahmed A. Khan
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 08:31 am:   

Hi, Matt!

Good to see you are on your way to becoming ubiquitous.

Ahmed
http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/fictiononline/myworks.html

Libling
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   

Speaking of MFA programs on writing...

I attended the Bread Loaf Writer's Conference in Vermont a while back. I met two writers who swore they could tell which school the MFA graduate attended based on the style and structure of his or her writing. Not sure if I believed them, but I loved the shot.

As for bias among the literati, one of the workshops I attended was on "Suspense". The lecturer began the session as follows: "While suspense often bears the TAINT of genre fiction...."

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 03:39 pm:   

I want to be in that number when those taints go marching in.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com/

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 01:12 pm:   

I came "this close" to starting an MFA program. I needed to get my Masters Degree for salary placement (I'm a high school teacher) and then I realized: What do I need an MFA for? I'm already teaching, writing, editing, what could I possibly use an MFA for? I could teach college courses in some places, but I love the high school setting and have no desire to teach college. And it would've meant four or five summers getting it.

Instead, I got a Masters Degree in Creative Arts in Education, right up my alley, from Lesley College (in Cambridge Massachussets, but the instructors came to us and rotated around every few months), and it only took 18 months, classes held on weekends once a month, and I could still teach my regular classes.

I learned a lot more of what I know from things like Clarion, writer workshops, and conventions and, yes, by doing!

Martin Owton
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   

Thought I'd drop by to say how much I enjoyed you story in Interzone 198

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 01:24 pm:   

Martin:

Thank you very much. I have a free read of another one on my website at: http://www.archonate.com/a-little-learning

JKS
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 09:01 pm:   

Hi Matt,

So I'm poking about in my 'To Be Read' pile this morning (Gad, there must be around 200 books in the pile now!) and I come across this Bookclub edition of something called 'Black Brillion'. Ghod knows how long its been sitting in the pile, I don't even remember buying it, but its got a nifty cover and I figger what the hell. So I start looking at it and find (Damn!) its the third book in a series. Oh well, as long as I'm nice and comfy might as well read a page or two to see if I like it enough to get the earlier two. Uhm, guess what, I never stopped reading till I finished it.

L*O*V*E*D*I*T!!!

So now I have 'Gist Hunter' (limited edition, of course) on order and went rooting around for the first two books (Blast! And the first one's out of print. Grumble, grumble). Finally managed to order them combined as 'Gullible's Travels' from Abe Books (Y'know you'd figger a title like 'Gullible's Travels' would be unique, eh? Nope. 220 copies showed up and only four were your book. I guess there's nothing new under the sun even in our 'dawn' civilization!).

Hope you have lots of success with the pb of BB so Tor is inspired right smartly to publish your next book.

All the best and many thanks!

Jonathan

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 09:29 am:   

Thank you, Jonathan. Please tell your friends. Indeed, badger them.

By the way, although Black Brillion is the third Archonate novel, it is a stand-alone. The two Fools books are also stand-alones, although they cover the adventures of the same character. My intent is to do only stand-alone novels set in the same universe, although characters may cross over from one story to another.

At the moment I'm finishing a novel about Guth Bandar -- much of it has already appeared as self-contained episodes in F&SF and The Gist Hunter & Other Stories -- and the last segment reprises the action in Black Brillion from Guth's point of view. It also will illuminate the character of Baro as a sacrificial hero.

Matt Hughes
Black Brillion now in paperback
The Gist Hunter & Other Stories now in stores

Sue
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 05:17 pm:   

Matt, I read and enjoyed your last story in F&SF -- I really enjoy your writing and will have to check out your novels. Tell me, does Guth Bandar ever get his heart broken? That's a weakness of mine.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   

Sue:

In the first episode, "A Little Learning," he did have an encounter with three powerful women, and he was in danger of having some organ get broken, but it wasn't his heart.

Seriously, I don't think love is in the cards for Guth. Unfortunately for him, he's stuck in a story that's more about metaphysics than the chemistry of love.

If you'd like to see me tackle a love story, look for my non-sf semi-comic thriller, Downshift (Doubleday Canada, 1997). Copies show up on Abebooks.com occasionally.

Matt Hughes
Black Brillion now in paperback
The Gist Hunter & Other Stories now in stores

Matt Hughes
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 08:16 am:   

I've sold a new, stand-alone Archonate novel, TEMPLATE, to PS Publishing. It will be out in the fall of 2007.

Matt Hughes
www.archonate.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register