Bears Discover Smut Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, Michael » Bears Discover Smut « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mike
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 05:13 am:   

It's been a while since I've visited this board. (I'm teaching four writing classes this semester at LaGrange College, and I'm up to my ears in student essays to grade and daily classroom preparations.) But I did want to note that my story "Bears Discover Smut," which is dedicated to Terry Bisson with his permission, has just gone up at the SciFi.com site and that it's a piece I wrote in August before beginning to teach again in September. Quite a nice feeling to see the story go up so soon after its composition, with copyediting and everything, and I hope a few of you will read it. Thanks.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 08:28 am:   

Mike: Very much enjoyed the story. A fitting tribute to Bisson and wonderfully written to boot. Glad to see you've surfaced. And, hey, wanted to thank you for sending on the extra copy of Locus you had around the office. Hope you are doing well these days.

m.
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 11:54 am:   

Good to hear from you, Jeff. I'm doing all right, but this afternoon I'm carrying home a humongous stack of student essays (one with the title "3-Page Descriptive Personal Narrative") to grade over the weekend. (Doesn't anybody want to turn "Bears Discover Smut" into a movie and thereby rescue me from this life of Bartlebean drudgery?) Hope all is well with you, too.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

mike: I've got my own tower of babel of bartlebean drudgery back at the office. I've just decided to forget about it for this weekend. I've gotten to the point where sometimes, after reading a couple dozen in a row, in writing my comments, I fall asleep while I'm writing and start dreaming, still writing, and end up rendering comments like -- "Your grammar is fishbowl." OR "Your use of description carousel in the park." And then there are the drool stains.

m.
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:42 am:   

I had my first A paper of the semester yesterday and had the young woman (who is shy) come forward and read it to the class. They applauded when she finished -- not just for the paper, I think, which certainly warranted applause, but also for their community realization that a student in one of Bishop's classes could indeed earn an A. This was an even bigger epiphany for them than the one at the end of "Araby." Much bigger. But, yes, the drool stains, the drool stains . . .

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:15 am:   

Back to "Bears Discover Smut": It has been nominated for a British SF award. Congrats, Mike.
Nancy

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register