Secret Ascension Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, Michael » Secret Ascension « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MDK
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 01:45 am:   

Mr. Bishop
Greetings

I have a question I hope you can answer for me. I am writing a novel in which there is a character with a likeness of PKD. But for plot reasons, it can not be him. I would like to write titles of his books (some variance of course, from the original) into the manuscript, as well.

Do I need permission or blessings from his family and estate before I can do such?

Also, I would like to use your "Secret Ascension" or at least the likeness therof.

Respectfully
MDK

m.
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 11:05 am:   

MDK, just name your PKD character something else, if you're concerned about drawing too close an identification (although the dead cannot sue you), and title your fictional PDK novels something just off the originals, as I tried to do in The Secret Ascension. Acceptable quasi-Dickian titles might be The Boy in the Ersatz Dungeon or The Sad Desiderata of Walker Kovack, etc., etc., although I believe that the titles I came up with in TSA are superior to these. In any case, allow yourself to have some fun.

MDK
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 01:37 pm:   

Mr. Bishop

Thank you for your reply. It will be an interesting read once finished, I think.

BTW, I immensely enjoyed your book "The Secret Ascension"

I did notice that the first copywright date on TSA was 1987. Could it have been possible that it was circulating before that? I could almost swear that I read it the summer of '86 when I was 12 and staying at my biological father's house in Tulare, California. I'm probably mistaken.

Cordially
MDK

m.
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 11:28 am:   

MDK,

It's easy to confuse years in our pasts (as I've found out trying to reconstruct certain periods of my life as brief memoirs), so, yes, you're probably mistaken about the year, for TSA did not appear until late in 1987. (The prologue appeared in an issue of NEW PATHWAYS -- no. 8, to be exact -- but not until August 1987, so that's probably not the source of your confusion, either.) In any event, I appreciate your inquiry and wish you well.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register