Count Geiger's Blues Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, Michael » Count Geiger's Blues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Fox
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 09:28 am:   

Dear Mike,

Just wanted to let you know I started Count Geiger's Blues this weekend and am already half-way through. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Your central conceit is unique and works enormously well regarding Xavier and his family and friends. I'll share more impressions when I'm done.

I was wondering whether you're familiar with what was perhaps the original prose satire of the world of superheroes, the novel Superfolks by Robert Mayer, published in 1977? It'll be reprinted (finally) in March of 2005. I read it as a teen when it first came out and absolutely loved it. Since then, I've read in interviews that's it has been an influence on Kurt Busiek's Astro City, Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, and (if memory serves) Alan Moore's Watchmen. It's incredibly funny, especially for an longtime fan of comic book heroes and the Golden Age.

Have a terrific holiday season!

m.
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 10:41 am:   

Dear Andrew,

Many thanks for reading Count Geiger's Blues and likewise for mentioning Robert Mayer's Superfolks, which -- mea culpa, mea maxima culpa -- I have never heard of. However, now that you've told me about it, I'll look for it when it's reprinted in March. My son Jamie, by the way, put me on to comics, particularly Frank Miller and Alan Moore, when he was a teenager, and I tried to immerse myself in his favorites as much to keep a channel of communication with him open as to learn the subject matter.

You, too, have a great holiday season, and, again, thanks for sharing your impressions of the first half of the novel.

Andrew Fox
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:55 am:   

Dear Mike,

I finished the book over the weekend. Despite having fallen into a (baby-driven) schedule of going to sleep no later than 10:30 each night, you got me to stay up to 1:30 A.M. to finish your novel. You really got me to care about your characters, much moreso than I've ended up caring about the characters in 90% of the other novels I've read recently. In fact, I had to take a two-day layoff from reading CGB when I was about two-thirds of the way through. I indulged my curiousity and peeked a few chapters ahead, just enough to get a taste of the grim "blues" ahead for Xavier. So for a couple of nights, I couldn't make myself pick the book up again. I didn't want to see Xavier and his family and friends suffer. But I finally forced myself to read through to the end, and although the experience wasn't without pain, it was enormously satisfying.

Thanks for writing CGB. You've given me one of my best, most gratifying reading experiences since I had the pleasure of savoring Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. And coming from me, that's high praise indeed.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

m.
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 01:11 pm:   

My heartfelt gratitude. I also read Chabon's Pulitzer Prize winner with fascination from beginning to end, and so have to agree that your comments represent high praise, even if I'm pretty sure that CGB doesn't warrant it. I'll take it, though, I'll take it, and gratefully.

Yes, Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. And get some sleep, if at all possible. The lack of it can impair one's judgment . . .

Nat Gertler
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 08:38 am:   

"It'll be reprinted (finally) in March of 2005."

Just a quick note that Superfolks was reprinted as a limited edition book in December, 2003 -- although that edition is now out of print. (It was distributed to the comic book shops rather than the bookstores, and has an intro by Astro City's Kurt Busiek and a cover drawn by Watchmen's Dave Gibbons.)

m.
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 10:58 am:   

Nat, thanks for this information, too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register