Michael Bishop? Sir Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, Michael » Michael Bishop? Sir « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vince Singleton
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 12:59 am:   

Well, I've been reading Michael Bishop since the Ballantine mmpb publication of "A Funeral for the Eyes of Fire." Recently, a friend gave me publisher's hardbacks of "No Enemy But Time" and "Unicorn Mountain" as well as a trade pbk of "Close Encounters with the Diety." I suppose I have all Bishop "sf" books save the two Golden Gyphon collections and "Light Years and Dark."

My favorite book is "Catacomb Years," though that's a tough call, as I also love "No Enemy But Time," "Ancient of Days," "Unicorn Mountain," "Brittle Innings" and . . . well, you get the idea. It's all good, as they say.

I can not for the life of me understand why Bishop is not more widely read outside sf circles; his work certainly qualifies as serious literature. Well, I am just blathering, I suppose.

Being from the South myself, I appreciate a writer who celebrates his region, roots for the Braves (which is a tough thing sometimes), and just writes damn near perfect fiction. No one else quite like him.

Vince Singleton
aka grokLF
Kingsport, Tennessee
(yee-haww!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mike bishop
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 06:11 am:   

People will believe that I paid you to drop by and post this message, Vince, but thanks for doing so. It's always good to get a little validation, particularly in a fallow period, and particularly from a fellow Southerner. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season and that 2005 treats you especially kindly. Feel free to drop by with encouraging comments any ol' time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register