A Reverie for Mister Ray: Cover Art Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, Michael » A Reverie for Mister Ray: Cover Art « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael H. Hutchins
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 06:39 pm:   

Michael Bishop's nonfiction collection A Reverie for Mister Ray has been turned in to PS Publishing. Here is a thumbnail of Jamie Bishop's cover for his dad's book.

Reverie cover

For the complete wraparound cover go to
http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/michaelbishop-writer/reverie.jpg

For more information and tentative contents go to
http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/michaelbishop-writer/bismisc.htm#Reverie

mike bishop
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:07 am:   

I don't think this thumbnail does justice to the cover, which is executed as a wraparound, and so I hope if you're interested in seeing the cover at its best, or near best, you'll take a look at http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/michaepbishop-writer/reverie.jpg as Michael Hutchins gives the address in the first posting. Thanks.

mike
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:08 am:   

Click on Michael Hutchins' URL, as I managed to type it incorrectly in my last posting. Sorry.

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:37 am:   

Michael: Your kid's cover is spectacular; really something. I had no idea that you had done so much non-fiction work. Your reviews touch on a lot of my favorite books and the titles of the essays are intriguing. Will have to check this out. Your collection, Brighten to Incandescence, has become one of my favorites. Stories I read and reread. Do you have any more short fiction coming out soon?
Also -- my wife is having the kitchen done, as I type,and, partially, at least, I have you to blame. Hope all is going well.

mike
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:23 am:   

Jeff, many thanks for looking in, and especially for taking a look at the full version of Jamie's cover, which the thumbnail doesn't do justice. I might mention that if you look at the full wraparound, there's an old, old image of me and my father's black Lab in the lower-lefthand corner. My dad called the dog Mike and me Michael, and when I visited them in the summers -- my folks were divorced -- there was often some confusion on the part of visitors about who was who. Nor did I help matters by occasionally munching on a Milkbone dog treat.

I've got a satirical sf piece called "The Angst of God" coming out in the Oct-Nov issue of F&SF, if it hasn't been moved back; a quasi-mainstream piece called "Baby Love" will appear shortly in Polyphony 4. Two other stories (both mainstream) of which I'm particularly fond, "'Other Arms Reach Out to Me'" and "No Picnic," are searching for homes. Also, I've got an essay called "Little, Big, Witless, Wise: The Disquieting Allure of Gulliver's Travels" with Sheila Williams at Asimov's, but it may be a long shot at a fiction market (although Sheila requested a look), and I'm working on a story based on both Swift's later years and his invention of the decrepit immortals called the Struldbruggs in the third voyage, the last-written of the four voyages that constitute the Travels.

Sorry about your kitchen. Ours still isn't finished, although Jeri did manage to pick up the tiles for the splashboard, etc., last week, only to receive word from the fellow scheduled to do the work that he can't work us in until the middle of August, if that soon.

Derryl Murphy
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:19 pm:   

Mike, that's a very nice cover. Maybe some day my kids'll be able to do the same for me.

Derryl

Bob K.
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:14 pm:   

I just saw this. Very nice cover. Pass on my compliments to Jamie.

Best,
Bob

mike
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:01 am:   

Derryl, Bob, Jeff, others,

Thanks for taking a look at the cover. It's got . . . I don't know, a depthful brightness that even the Brighten to Incandescence jacket lacked, and I really liked the way the lightning in the upper lefthand corner of the back of that one, and the sheen on Rondo Hatton's face on the front, both bodied forth the notion of "incandescence."

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register