Norwescon 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, Michael » Norwescon 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mike
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 02:34 pm:   

I've just gratefully accepted an invitation to be the writer guest of honor at Norwescon in late March 2005. The other guests will include Suzette Haden Elgin, Alan Dean Foster, and Tom Doherty. The event will take place at the SeaTac Double Tree Hotel, if I'm remembering this correctly. In any case, I hope to see some of my friends on the West Coast at this event, although it may prevent my returning to the International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts in Ft. Lauderdale, which usually takes place on that same weekend.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 02:40 pm:   

Hey, cograts. I've never gone to NorwesCon but maybe I'll try to drive up next year.

mike
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 09:50 am:   

Thanks. It would be good to meet. The organizers tell me that Norwescon is the largest convention on the West Coast, a notion semiparalyzing right there. I have to keep reminding myself that little old Pine Mountain, Georgia, once hosted a World Fantasy Convention, and everybody made a point of noting that our town had only one passable restaurant, Crickets, a cajun-oriented place on Hwy 18 on the road to West Point and, eventually, Lanett, Alabama.

Deborah
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 10:09 am:   

Mike -- that's great! I've been to the last three Norwescons and don't expect to break my streak. It'll be nice to see you.

Deborah

mike
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 06:17 am:   

Ditto. We've had any number of exchanges over the past couple of years, without any chance to meet, and so I'm delighted to learn that you'll be attending Norwescon in 2005 too.

You know I've just figured out why they call the Seattle-Tacoma area SeaTac rather than TacSea. The latter would lead one to suppose, especially if followed by an exclamation point, that one was hailing a cab . . .

Deborah
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:08 am:   

Indeed.

I'm still trying to picture WFC in Pine Mountain...I bet you still hear the echos of, "Y'all are not from aroun' here, are ya?"

mike
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:44 am:   

We still hear the visitors' cry "You got any eating places around here that don't serve barbecue?" echoing from the mural-bedecked brick walls of our antique stores and only in-town do-it-yourself laundromat.

Bob K.
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 01:27 pm:   

That's excellent news! It'll be great to see you again after, what, only eight years. (Where did eight years go?)

mike
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:31 pm:   

Eight years! Eight years! My God, Bob, that's, um, impossible. But it will be good to see you again, after all this time, and I should thank you, if I haven't already, for the royalty check you sent me not long ago from ElectricStory.com, for No Enemy But Time and Unicorn Mountain.

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 08:38 am:   

It's only seven years, Bob: 2004-1997 = 7.
But it's still a ridiculous number of years for something that seems like yesterday.

I just might come too, Mike, even though it's on the opposite coast and I have no real reason to come except that I'd enjoy seeing people make a fuss over you, I'd get to see all my west coast friends, and I love Seattle. Come to think about it, those are pretty damn good reasons.

Nancy

Bob K.
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:48 am:   

I meant it'll be eight years when I see him again, Nance, and eight year is bearing down on us fast.

Michael, we had our board meeting last night and set our plans for the next few months. A lot's going on. We should be able to get the size of those checks up soon!

Best,

Bob

Bob
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:56 am:   

P.S. You're welcome to stay with us, Nancy. I assume Michael will be in the hotel, but maybe we can all get out for dinner together, or maybe even a hike up here in the hills.

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 01:15 pm:   

Thanks, Bob. I'll do my best to take you up on that offer.
Nancy

mike
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:27 am:   

Hey, I enjoy seeing plans made for next year's Norwescon right here on this messageboard. In any event, I look forward to dinner and/or a hike or hikes. And I'd be delighted if you actually decide to come to Seattle, Nancy. And, Bob, I'm glad to learn that you had a productive board meeting at ElectricStory.com.

More later. I'm trying to get a book done for Pete Crowther while simultaneously concluding another fiction-writing class at LaGrange College.

Arnie
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 09:14 pm:   

Mike - is there any chance of you making it to Boston for Noreascon? Thanks!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 05:57 am:   

Wish I was gonna be there, Mike, but I'll be out of the country. I'm not sure Norwescon's bigger than Westercon, but it doesn't feel that big. There's kind of a split between the goth crowd and the rest of the con, so maybe that makes it feel smaller. The Goths, BTW, are most exhilirated by your appearance -- I hear they're going to ask you to host their annual Secret Piercings event. :-)

mike
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 05:36 pm:   

Arnie,

I don't know when Noreascon takes place, but the answer is probably No. I make very few conventions owing to Jeri's work schedule and my own teaching obligations. Thanks for asking, though. I'd love to come one day.

Lucius,

You're kidding. I get your way and you're gone? Well, I'll just have to lift a toast or eight to you in your absence, maybe with Bob and Nancy Jane and Deborah and Leslie and whoever else drops a bill or two on the bar. As for the exhilarated Goths, my actual presence will no doubt sap their exhilaration of any real moment, secret or otherwise.

Lucius
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 05:43 pm:   

Hi, Mike....Yeah, I'm supposed to be at Eastercon next April and I'm pretty sure I'll be in England during Noreascon. Bummer.

Noreascon's this year's worldcon up in Boston....

mike
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 06:50 am:   

Lucius, hey, --

Noreascon's this year's worldcon? I should have known that, shouldn't I? Now tell me where Eastercon is. And I wouldn't call being in England in March, or any time really, a bummer. I'm glad you get to go (unless you'd really rather not to have to make this particular trip). Will you be promoting a book, taking part in a conference, teaching a workshop, touring the countryside?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 07:58 am:   

Mike, I think Eastercon moves around a bit. Yhis year it was in Blackpool, a place I really like, so I'm hoping for a reprise;but I know it sometimes happens at an isolated hotel at one of the big highways. The trip is a little of everything -- I was invited to present an award, and I have some business stuff, and a few readings, etc.

mike
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 05:52 am:   

In any case, sounds as if you should enjoy yourself. We'll just have to get you to a convention somewhere in the Southeast (of the U.S., I mean), a circumstance that might allow us to meet again for the first time since Clarion West in '98. (Or was it '97?) (Time flies when you're winging downhill.) Does any of your business have to do with the story collection for Pete Crowther? And when, exactly, will that appear?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register