A request for help Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, Michael » A request for help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mike bishop
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:14 am:   

A number of years ago I wrote a review of Gene Wolfe's The Fifth Head of Cerberus for either Delap's Science Fiction Review or Thrust (probably the former), and I no longer have a copy. Is it possible that anyone out there has access to this review? I could use a photocopy of it for the collection of nonfiction pieces that I'm assembling for Pete Crowther's PS Publishing. I realize this is a longshot, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:25 am:   

Hello Mr. Bishop,

I don't have a copy but you may recall that the review was placed here:

Gene Wolfe

Book Review: The Fifth Head of Cerberus

Delap's F & SF Review (Richard Delap)
[West Hollywood CA: Richard Delap], Nov 1976; pp. 26 - 27

mike
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:48 pm:   

Bruce,

Many thanks for your reply, which is a help. Since I posted my question, however, Paul Di Filippo made an inquiry on a message board that he frequents, and one of its readers has agreed to send me a photocopy of the piece in question. Again, though, I appreciate your taking the time to let me know the issue of Delap's in which the review first appeared.

All the very best,

Mike

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 01:17 pm:   

Hello again,

You're most welcome. I've been avidly reading your work since I found 'Death and Designation Among the Asadi' in a long ago Best of If collection. Favorite novel is a tough choice but I'll go with 'Brittle Innings'. I greatly enjoyed 'Brighten to Incandescence' [Oddly, it reminded me of Gene Wolfe's 'Storeys From the Old Hotel', I suppose since both books purported to be catch-alls of your respective uncollected short fiction when in reality both pieces are superb collections.]

Looking forward to your upcoming work from PS Publishing, and anything else forthcoming!

All the best, Bruce

mike
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 06:21 am:   

Sorry this reply is late. Michael Hutchins and I have been working hard on preparing A Reverie for Mister Ray, the nonfiction collection, for Pete Crowther. But I appreciate your comments about "Death and Designation" all the way through Brittle Innings, which remains my favorite of my novels, too. And I never mind having my stuff compared -- favorably -- to Gene Wolfe's, as I have admired him for a long, long time. As that review of The Fifth Head of Cerberus from 1976 makes pretty clear.

mike
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:35 am:   

Another request, for which I should probably start a new thread. But I'll chance it here. Two or three years ago, for three or four years in a row, I wrote brief essays for the Quality Paperback Book Club's annual Calendar of Days, an appointment book with a literary theme and pieces about writers and/or books on nearly every page. My poem "Philip K. Dick Is Dead, A Lass" first appeared in a Calendar of Days, as did my short essay-story "Menard's Disease," a contribution to the Lambshead Disease Guide. In any event, I have somehow managed to misplace my contributor's copies of these volumes, and I'm currently looking for a little piece called "Eavesdropping in Bookstores." If anyone has a copy of the QPB appointment book from 1998, 1999, 2001, or 2002 -- I think those are the likely years -- containing this piece, I would be grateful for a photocopy of it (just the essay, mind, not the whole appointment book), for which I could offer you a copy of a past novel and lots of gratitude. Thanks.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 08:45 am:   

Hey Mike---

Is this you?

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/378/3369.html?1098370813#POST5597 0

m.
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 04:27 pm:   

Gordon, yep. It's my story. I've posted info on the board you advised me to go to. Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register