Recent Work Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, Michael » Recent Work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mike bishop
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 06:20 am:   

I've just received word that F&SF has accepted a new science fiction story, "The Angst of God," a tribute of sorts to the short fiction of the late George Alec Effinger.

A brief memoir, "Recalling Cody," which I had originally called "Cody Philyaw, From His Stetson Down," has just appeared in the Chattahoochee Review, allegedly the Fall 2003 issue, although it actually has just come out (March 2004).

A collection of nonfiction, A Reverie for Mister Ray: Ruminations about Life and Speculative Fiction, will appear from Peter Crowther's PS Publishing in early 2005. Michael Hutchins, who runs the website devoted to my work, has been instrumental in gathering this material from a variety of sources, helping to organize it, and tracking down "lost" pieces. He will quite deservedly have his name on the title page as the volume's editor.

A mainstream story that begins with the attack on the World Trade towers, "Change of Life," will appear in New York Stories later this year, presumably this summer.

"Baby Love," a story that straddles genres, is scheduled for Polyphony 4, and, along with "Change of Life," my story in Polyphony 3 ("The Road Leads Back"), and several other pieces already published or currently seeking homes, constitutes part of a volume of stories entitled Other Arms Reach Out to Me: Georgia Stories.

More later.

rwexler
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:31 am:   

Congrats Mike!

Robert

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 09:06 am:   

Oh, boy! Lots of interesting new stuff to read.
Nancy

Deborah
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 09:41 am:   

Hey, Mike, I remember you mentioning Other Arms before...do you want to share details about that? When will it be out and from whom?

mike
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:27 pm:   

Sorry not to reply sooner. Jeri and I were away for the weekend, down to Tallahassee to see Jeff and Ann VanderMeer and to take part in both a reading at the local library, with Brian Evenson, and a reading for the Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases with Jeff, Brian, Ralph Berry, and Nathan Ballingrud at a local Borders store. Jeff arranged both events, Ann worked tirelessly as a chauffeur and general factotum, and the Borders gig proved highly successful.

As far as Other Arms . . . goes, I'll have to note here that I've got two more stories looking for homes in journals or magazines, the title piece and a more recent story called "No Picnic," and once they've found such homes (if they find them), I'll send the whole shebang to Howard Morhaim to seek a publisher. Other stories in the volume include "Doggedly Wooing Madonna, "Cutouts," "Unlikely Friends," "How Beautiful with Banners," and the aforementioned "Change of Life," "Baby Love," and "The Road Leads Back." I'm prepared to wait a couple of more years before seeing the volume in print, I guess.

Deborah
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:29 pm:   

Ah, I see. Thanks, Mike, I had the impression it was nearer to release. Something to look forward to!

mike
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:25 pm:   

Actually, I hope it's not two years away from publication, but I'm afraid it probably is. Thanks for your interest in this volume, though. It [your interest] means a good deal to me.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:35 pm:   

Mike: Read "The Sacerdotal Owl" last night. Enjoyed it very much as I do pretty much all of your stories. Fine writing as usual. Don't know if it was intended but this one had a real pulp feel to it (in the best sense of the word) -- mysterious goings on in exotic locales with potent graven images. Great descriptions of the setting. They do a lot of illustrations in Weird Tales. My favorite was the one of the owl with the bugged out eyes the size of hubcaps.

mike
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:37 am:   

Jeff: Thanks for this message. To be truthful, I wanted to recreate some of that pulp feel, but there are a couple of metaphors in the piece that I would change, now, if I could. Anyway, I really appreciate your going to the trouble of looking up and reading the story. Great interview in the latest LOCUS, by the way.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register