Artists -- The Next John Tenniel? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Bishop, Michael » Artists -- The Next John Tenniel? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 05:34 am:   

Hello, everyone:

I'm working on a near-future fantasy novel that draws some of its inspiration not only from The Odyssey of Homer, but also the two Alice books by Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-glass and What Alice Found There, with the latter two volumes' wonderfully whimsical illos by Sir John Tenniel.

In any case, I couldn't help thinking that my book, if and when I finish it, would benefit from some quirky black-and-white interior illos of a quasi-Tennielian sort. My son does fine graphic-art work using a computer, but admits up front that he isn't a trained draughtsman, so I was wondering if anyone out there knew of an artist who might want to undertake a project like this.

I should add that all this is very tentative. I haven't finished my novel yet, I don't have a publisher lined up, and I'm not in a financial position to contract with an artist myself. But I would like to suggest to any publisher that takes on the finished book that it look for, screen, and select among some artists who have Tennielian skills for this particular project. I think the book would benefit tremendously from some classy illustrations.

Has any writer out there had experience trying to recruit a compatible artist? Am I naive? What are the pitfalls - for both writer and artist - of trying to make such a connection?

Help.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 11:29 am:   

Mike,

Might I suggest my lovely and extremely talented fiancee? Most of the work Janet does is in watercolors, but her inking is superb as well. Check out the table of contents mockup that she did for our upcoming chapbook. You can contact her directly through email if you're interested. I know she's up to her elbows in work at the moment, including interior illos and book design for Four Seasons in One Day, but your book might be something she could consider in a couple of months.

Mike
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 07:07 am:   

Jason,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check this out.

Mike
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 07:12 am:   

Jason,

Actually, I like her illo for your table of contents mockup quite a lot. And I'll definitely keep Janet's name in mind if this project reaches a stage of completion warranting further inquiry. Thanks.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 04:37 pm:   

Cool. Glad I could help, Mike.

Bill Schafer
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 09:25 pm:   

Hey Mike,

You might think of Charles Vess. He did some really fine work for a Charles de Lint book we published called SEVEN WILD SISTERS. I can send you a copy if you like. Also, we just published a 1288 page George R.R. Martin retrospective collection with much uncollected and unpublished material as well. If you want one, it's yours.

All best,

Bill Schafer

Mike
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 07:48 am:   

Dear Bill,
Awfully good to hear from you. I'd be delighted to look into Vess's work, and I've never been one to turn down a free offer. What can I do for you, though? I'm not unaware that I've been on the taking end of this relationship for some time now, and I appreciate the fact of your generosity. Hope all is well with you.

Yours, Mike

Bill Schafer
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 07:48 pm:   

Hey Mike,

All's chaotic here, as usual. Consider any freebies I send your way as a small repayment for all the enjoyment you've given me.

Bill

Mike
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:25 pm:   

Bill,

All right, will do. Meanwhile, bless you.

Yours, Mike

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register