Another Novel Dare approacheth... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » Another Novel Dare approacheth... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:21 am:   

Okay, fellow writers. I'm gearing up to get all my ducks in a row so I can start work on a brand-new novel in September.

Of course, mania loves company, so I'm looking for other brave folks to join me in my mad drafting endeavors. The April Dare was a rocking success for me, and I think others benefitted from it as well.

My goal is to have a really really rough draft of a novel done in time for World Fantasy on Halloween, which gives me about two months from September to October.

Join me. Joiiinnnnn meeee....

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:43 am:   

Perhaps this time I will work on a novel.... Same set up, or do I keep watching for the madness to begin?

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 07:52 am:   

Hey John -- hope you can join us! Basically, just report in here once a day or so during September and October to let us know how your novel is coming.

I've found it's a really good motivator for me on days when I don't feel like writing ("Must... write... for my fellow... writers... They need... me!!!").

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 08:48 am:   

Awright, Mike - you're on. At the moment, I've just hit 400 pp on my current novel and I'm aiming at finishing this draft (about another 25K words) by the end of July, which for various reasons is a natural break for me.

After that, will be revision and the start of the next book - it's starting to itch at me (also typical once I'm this close to the end of a book) so it'll be good to have even more of a motivation. Both of these are under contract, so they gotta be done.

Liz

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 02:02 pm:   

Excellent! Glad to have you, Liz! Nothing is more motivating than a contract and deadline. :-)

Now I have to get off my ass and revise those other 2 novels before September. Oh, and maybe come up with a novel idea, too, while I'm at it...

Liz Williams
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 06:49 am:   

Thanks, Mike!

Though I'll be silent for about a week in Sept due to the occurrence of Milford, I've just realised. And I never manage to write a thing during the workshop week so you'll be getting 'dog ate my homework' excuses for the week after.

Rachel Heslin
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 11:42 am:   

Hmm. A novel is still a bit intimidating, but my Moscow Metro story looks like I might get a novella out of it. Besides, I'll be done with RenFaire by then, so I *might* actually decide to join you....

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:09 am:   

Great news, Liz and Rachel. It'd be cool having you write with me/us.

And Liz, I actually played with the idea of going to Milford someday, but the cost is too much this year. I could be the Yankee y'all could beat up on...

Liz Williams
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 04:34 am:   

Have a think about it for next year, Mike. Last year Nancy Jane Moore was our resident American but no one beat up on her (and not just because she does martial arts!).

This year we have no one from your side of the Pond, but we will have at least one Australian (Mr Nichols of ASIM).

Also I just arranged to go to Prague on the following weekend. I can see how this is going to go. But I'll do my best! Promise!

Liz

Mike
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 06:33 am:   

I'll seriously consider it, Liz. I like trying one workshop a year -- last year it was the Kris and Gardner show in Oregon, where I ran into the ubiquitous Mr. Hartley. This year I'm trying a weekend workshop with the Strange Horizons crew. Next year, maybe, overseas!

Oh yeah, I know martial arts. Yeah, lots of 'em. So beware. Heh.

Have fun in Prague! Wow.

Liz Williams
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 06:44 am:   

I hear good things about the Kris and Gardner show. Let us know how the SH workshop goes.

I have some dark plans for Milford which I will Reveal at some other juncture (ie when I've actually mentioned them to the rest of the Milford committee, which is only right and proper). Watch my webspace.

Martial arts: I take due note. Done lots of tai chi, some kung fu. But these days I am confining myself to yoga before I sieze up completely.

Prague: it'sone of those ridiculously cheap airline deals which various people down here make use of from time to time. Last time we went to Barcelona. And got stuck in the airport for 24 hours, but never mind...

Mike
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:02 am:   

Liz -- I was kidding about the martial arts! About all I know how to do is drunken fighting. And even then, it's more like drunken running and stumbling away from conflict.

Just trying to keep you folks from attacking me...

I'll keep an eye out for Milford news.

Liz Williams
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 09:04 am:   

But - drunken fighting is a MUST at Milford.

Actually, in my time at the workshop, there have never even been harsh words (outside the crit sessions, anyway).

Someone in Chris Priest's day died, but that was due to entirely natural causes. Heart attack, apparently. Sadly, after everyone had said how much they liked his story...

Jon Hansen
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:11 pm:   

Well, at least he died with a smile on his face.

Mike
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:21 pm:   

Why does that remind me of a Smiths song?

Liz Williams
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:48 pm:   

I think the Smiths were the greatest comedy band of the 80s.

No, seriously. How can you listen to a song entitled GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA without a smile on your face?

Mike
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 04:55 pm:   

Hey Liz, I know, I know, it's Serious...

Liz Williams
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 01:01 am:   

It's like that Oscar Wilde quote about how it would take a heart of stone to read of the death of Little Nell without laughing...

I am getting way off topic! Mike, if you need to show me the door...! :-)

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:27 am:   

Ah what the heck, Liz, we've got time to kill before the September Dare begins!

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 06:40 am:   

Ooh, I'm psyched. After reading the intro to Dozois' YEAR'S BEST SF antho, where I usually get a story idea or three from his wrap-up of the year in SF, I decided to do a young adult SF novel for the September dare.

I'm using the same future Raleigh setting as my story "Working the Game" (which got an Honorable Mention in Dozois' book by the way), picking up after that story ends, and focusing on a young Hispanic girl and her friends and what they learn about the wall that keeps them outside of the city, and what happens when they go inside the wall, and beyond.

Now I just have to revise two novels and write a couple stories before September. No sweat. Heh.

Jim C. Hines
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 10:35 am:   

I'm in. Probably a revision of my NaNoWriMo manuscript from November...

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 06:43 pm:   

All right!!! Welcome to the funhouse, Jim!

Greg van Eekhout
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 08:02 pm:   

Count me in. The Norse novel, mostly likely.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 02:39 am:   

One Greg van Eekhout, added and noted. With pleasure, sir!!!

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 04:30 am:   

I'm still playing with the idea, Mike. It depends what real life throws at me in the meantime. I have two novels to work on right now, one under contract, one not. Of course I'd just be in to shame you. <g>

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 06:55 am:   

Oh hell, James, it doesn't take much to shame me! But join us anyway. Maybe some of your novel-publishing mojo will rub off on the rest of us.

TheOneTrueJeff
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:54 am:   

What the heck? Have I made it to some kind of alternate universe based on Mike's journal?

Oh, but I'm in. Fantasy novel, "Warrior of the Next World."

Mike Prime
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 06:32 am:   

Welcome to Earth2. Glad you're in on the Dare, Jeff!

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:48 am:   

Hmm... how would folks feel about starting the Dare in October instead of September? Just a thought...

Liz Williams
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:52 am:   

Can we? huh? huh? can we?

September is already looking absurd.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:09 am:   

Heh -- tell me about it!

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   

2004? Just kidding. October would be so much better for me it's laughable.

JK

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   

Hmm... Unless something VERY unexpected happens with this Dare (like I get my shit together and actually finish the other stuff on my plate, among other things), I'm thinking October is looking quite lovely for some serious key-pounding...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:17 am:   

Okay, did some project-shuffling, and the Novel-Writing Dare is officially kicking off on October 1, 2003.

Bring your war stories and RSI to World Fantasy in DC.

Pete Sanderson
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 01:57 pm:   

I'm in.

Liz W
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 02:03 pm:   

OK, this will make me kick start the next one in October, at least. Milford and a couple of days in Prague will put the mockers on the start of the month, but after that...

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 03:09 pm:   

Hmm, I'm out of this one. I'm pounding down Metal Sky anyway and should be finished first draft within about a week. Then I'll be revising and editing. In October I'll need to rest.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:12 pm:   

All right! Excellent news, Pete and Liz!

And of course, Jay, excellent news for you -- but you don't need no stinkin' Dare to motivate you, you story-telling machine. Good on ya!

Andreas Black
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 06:00 am:   

Hey Mike, I'm in.

Peter / Yaga
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 03:53 pm:   

So...how many people are thinking of starting a new JournalScape and posting their dailies (in full or in part) there?

Cuz, well, I'll feel silly if I'm the only one.

Sarah Prineas
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 06:22 pm:   

Okay, Mike, I had a think and am going to take the dare. I will finish my 18thc political intrigue, romance and magic novel. Yes, it will be done. I'm not on journalscape (yet!) but will post progress on my blog, Aposiopesis (www.sarahprineas.com/aposiopesis.html)

And it's a good thing 31 days has October...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 07:01 pm:   

All right -- more writers enter the bullpen!

Yaga, I hadn't thought of using a brand-new JournalScape for daily entries. I think I'll just post stuff here in a new topic that I'll start up on Oct. 11th -- that way other folks in the Dare can drop in and get inspired by my wordage or give me hell for slacking, and they can post their daily progress here as well.

That's what we did for the April Dare (see topic one level up).

Awesome news Andreas, Yaga, and Sarah! Sarah -- you WILL join JournalScape... it's just a matter o' time. :-)

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 06:21 am:   

Hey Mike,

What's the expected wordage per day? 2K? 1K? Something/anything? Or is it to see who can get the most wordage?

Um, what's JournalScape? j/k

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 06:25 am:   

Any wordage is good, and people can set their own daily goals. I'm shooting for 1,500 to 2,000 a day so I can have a 50-60,000 word novel by month's end.

Just as long as you're writing every day, I'm happy.

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:26 am:   

Sounds good. Although i'll prolly have half a novel at 60k. Which I think is good. Plenty to edit down.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:34 am:   

Oh yeah -- I forgot to mention my novel is Young Adult, and they're usually a bit shorter than the usual 90,000 to 120,000 word length for "grown-ups."

SarahP
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:35 am:   

My novel is trying to decide if it's a young adult or an old fogey. I'm about 50K in, so my goal during October is to finish it, and I'm expecting about 100K.

Mike, you're a get-up-early-and-work writer, aren't you? Works pretty good? I'm gonna try that for the first time in October.

Good thing I love coffee.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 01:23 pm:   

Hi Sarah! Yeah, I'm trying to get back into the swing of early-morning writing again -- I got off-track this summer, and once I started get up at 4:45 a.m. again, things started clicking for me. I like getting the writing out of the way, first thing. Then everything else is gravy.

50K in a month is an excellent goal. Are you using aspects from your stories at STRANGE HORIZONS and IDEOMANCER? I liked those.

Jamie Rosen
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 08:51 pm:   

I'm considering joining, but I also want to do NaNoWriMo (they give me a certificate! :-) ) so I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I'm considering doing both and seeing if I can churn out a 100k book in two months. I mean, I've done NaNoWriMo (50k in a month), and I've done the 3-Day Novel Contest (20k over Labor Day weekend.) So, might as well give it a shot, right? Right...?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 07:24 am:   

Yeah! I can make certificates, too, if that's what it takes. :-)

Congrats on finishing NaNo -- I've tried twice and crashed and burned both times.

Jamie Rosen
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:03 am:   

Mike -- Thanks. It was rough, but the hardest part has actually come since November.

You see, I wrote my novel by hand. Which means transcription. Lots and lots of transcription. I've made it just about halfway through the ms, now, and it's taken me almost a year. But I find it harder to write straight to the computer, not least of all because I'm away from it for much of the day. Or at least, I should be. :-)

Well, I'll decide by October 1st if I'm going to risk my already fragile sanity and go for 100k in 61 days.

SarahP
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:04 am:   

Mike, you asked if my novel is set in the same world as my SH and Ideo stories. And the answer is, yup (and thanks for the kind comment!). I've got a couple more elemental magic stories coming out next month. Sort of historical fantasy stuff.

The novel is set in 1757 England (London, mostly), and involves the adventures of a Reservoir (a guy who can store the magical element [warlocks and witches can only wreak magic during elemental storms and are pretty much powerless the rest of the time, so the Reservoir is a hot property]) and a genius elemental scientist named Sally Tuppence (daughter of Two-Pence Jane of Covent Garden). There's political intrigue and an attempted regicide, French spies, a noble villain, an even more villainous villain, and the magistrate Sir John Fielding and his sister Sarah, not to mention London Bridge... It's kind of fun. I'm running up to some cascading action scenes (thanks to Jenn Reese for that term!!) which will take me to halfway through. The second half of the book is...slowly...being marinated in my brainbox and should be just about ready to roast in October. Wheee!

The really cool thing about it is, I wrote a dissertation on 18thc lit and culture but I'm not really an academic; at least, the scholarly study of that period doesn't interest me very much any more. But setting a novel there has been all kinds of fun.

So what's your project? Not the Wannoshay novel, right? 'Cause you're almost done with that one?

KathyGabriel
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:37 pm:   

Novel challenge... intriguing. Too bad it is so late, and that I am such a chicken. I need a kick in the arse to get going on the one I'm "working" on now, but a brand new novel? Would it be the kick in the behind I need or a monumental derailment? I have barely started the one I've barely started; might I use it?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:17 am:   

Jamie -- I feel you pain about transcribing. I printed out an earlier draft of my current work-in-progress, marked it all up with comments, and it's taken me most of the month to get around to key in all the various fixes. I hate it. I'm so used to editing on screen now that I may not make hardcopies again. Good luck to you.

Sarah -- I read your SH and Ideomancer stories this weekend and loved 'em. The novel ought to be lots of fun (are you incorporating the stories at all, maybe even using some of the characters? Though I doubt professor Finch will be around after his final journal entry, and Rafe wasn't doing too well when we left him with his dragon). Glad you could join the Dare!

Now you have to explain what cascading action scenes are -- are they overlapping fights, like a Jackie Chan movie???

And finally, Kathy -- you should join us! The rules are pretty flexible, and designed mostly to encourage you to write SOMETHING every day. So you can use a current novel that needs drafting, or start a brand new one, or whatever you'd prefer. Just let us know here or over in the Comments section of my online journal.

Novel Dares, to me, are the ultimate kick in the arse. I mean that in a good way.

Kathy Gabriel
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 06:25 pm:   

Okay. I'm in! Let the arse kicking commence. And, what are those cascading action scenes? I am picturing waterfalls -- they just keep falling and falling and falling. Ha.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:35 am:   

Awesome news, Kathy! Now I've got one week to finish revising my OTHER novel... Where did September get to?

Mary
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:41 am:   

Well I WAS going to jump in with the fantasy novel, but *someone* had to tell me I could maybe sell the horror novel with some rewriting and now it's all I can think about, SO it looks like October is the month of the rewrite for me folks. Luck to everyone.

Michael Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 03:17 am:   

Great, Mary -- and you raise a good point: the Dare isn't just about word counts, but about writing every day and COMPLETING projects. Good luck with the rewrite. Keep us posted, and we'll keep ya honest. :-)

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 04:43 am:   

Okay, here's a list of writers who may or may not be participating in the October Novel Dare:

1. Michael Jasper
2. John Klima
3. Liz Williams
4. Rachel Heslin
5. Jim Hines
6. Greg van Eekhout
7. Jeff Turner
8. Pete Sanderson
9. Andreas Black
10. Peter/Yaga
11. Sarah Prineas
12. Jamie Rosen
13. Kathy Gabriel
14. Mary Madewell
15. Heather Shaw

Let me know if I've left you out, or if you don't think you'll be able to do it. Just trying to figure out who's in/who's out.

And October's almost here!!! Aieee!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:34 am:   

16. John Schramm

mskyranch
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 03:33 pm:   

17. Mark Siegel
So we'll bring our finished manuscripts to World Con, the Intracities Parties, and use them for barstools.

Kathy Gabriel
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 05:57 pm:   

This is about the size of a Clarion class, yes?

Mike
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 05:53 am:   

Good point, Kathy! And welcome to Mark, a veteran of April's Novel Dare, where he wrote a kick-ass novel about Raymond Chandler, Alan Ladd, L. Ron Hubbard, and dragons, among other things... Rumor has it a sequel is in the works...

Oh, and the guy in #8 and #10 are one and the same...

More details coming later today, hopefully.

Andreas Black
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 08:23 am:   

I'm still in. Hopefully, October won't become the whirlwind of obnoxiousness that August was (both figuratively and literally).

Personally, I think Im gonna enjoy the hell outta this.

Andreas Black,
Prisoner / Contestant #9

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 07:56 am:   

Okay, now that September is almost gone (thank God!), let's hear about what your goals are for the October Novel Writing Dare.

Me, I'm having to change my plans a bit, as I didn't get everything done on my SF novel. So, I'll spend most of the Dare re-drafting the ending to THE WANNOSHAY CYCLE, a near-future SF novel set in the midwest after aliens crash-land, and what happens in the year and a half after their arrival.

I finished a draft of this novel earlier this year, only to go back and read the last act and cringe. Things got out of hand, let's say. So I've spent the last few months reworking the outline and figuring out just what the hell I'm trying to do with the novel. Always a good thing to do, I think...

I'm thinking the re-drafting will probably amount to 25,000-30,000 words (pretty much all new words), adding to the about 80,000 words I already have written.

For inspiration I've been reading two collections by Gardner Dozois -- SLOW DANCING THROUGH TIME and STRANGE DAYS -- for his wonderful descriptions and attention to details. The first is a book of his collaborations, and the second is an almost comprehensive collection of all his short fiction. Obviously I like the guy's writing philosophy, as he's bought a couple of my stories for ASIMOV's, but he's an excellent writer as well. And I like the way he writes sentences.

Later in the month, I plan on revising my paranormal romance, HEART'S REVENGE. For that novel, I'll probably rewrite the opening chapters, and then do some moderate revising to the rest of the novel.

For inspiration, I'm borrowing a couple of my wife Elizabeth's Nora Roberts novels, plus one by Kris Rusch, to get a good feel for how the whole romance thing works. I'm starting to look forward to this one, after all the heavy material in the SF novel.

And then, probably in November, I'll revise my YA fantasy novel, THE LAST OF THE HAND, and maybe start work on the YA SF novel SCRAGS. I doubt I'll get to SCRAGS, but you never know.

And ultimately, in a month or so, I plan on actively submitting manuscripts to editors and agents with the intention of getting these damn novels off my desk and in print... somewhere.

Then in December I'm gonna write a whole shitload of short-short stories to recover from all these novels.

Elizabeth Peake
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:16 pm:   

Hi Mike,

Is it too late to join? I have the complete outline and character list and I am ready to write the first draft.

Andreas Black
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   

Goals?

Well, I'm gonna try and keep it a little light the first time out. I'd like to get 500 words a day. I know doesn't sound like a lot, but it'll be fast compared to my current rate. I also need to finish the novel outline. I have the beginning and end of the story outlined, but still need to flesh out the middle.

Little projects may slip in and wreak havoc. I have this flash horror thing for the Lazy Lion contest to revise and submit, and two shorts to finish revising and send out.

So that's 3500 per week, 14k for the month. It should be...interesting.

Andreas

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:33 pm:   

Hey Elizabeth -- please do join us! That'd be great. Sounds like you're in just the right spot to start banging out the wordage.

Andreas -- 500 words a day adds up fast, and it's more than most folks do, so that's nothing to sneeze at. And I haven't hit 14,000 words in a month in a long time. Not since the last Dare, in April, actually...

Elizabeth Peake
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:46 pm:   

Thanks, Mike.

Okay, I'm in. Where can I find the guidelines? How many words a day? Do I keep an online log and if so, where? Etc., etc., etc. :-)

~E~

Andreas Black
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:32 pm:   

"Andreas -- 500 words a day adds up fast, and it's more than most folks do, so that's nothing to sneeze at."

Oh, good. I'll do that, then. I'll prolly keep a running tally in a chart at the bottom of my journal entry, as usual. Should I post daily totals here as well?

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:01 pm:   

Okay, Mike I think I may be joining you guys.

I have two projects, one my ongoing dark fantasy COBWEB BRIDE about death's ultimatum to the world and the second, tentatively titled MARGOT PHOENIX RISING, is the kickass romance novel for Silhouette Bombshell, for which I just need three chapters initially.

So I'd like to finish the 3 chapters for MARGOT and get as much as possible done on COBWEB BRIDE. I will also be away at a convention (Conjecture in San Diego) from October 3-5 so that will cut down on my available days.

But, sign me up anyway, and lessee how much such a slowpoke writer as myself can do in a month.

:-)

Vera

Jamie Rosen
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:41 pm:   

My goals? Well, my goal is to remain sane through the next two months. And beyond, but for the purposes of the dare, I'll limit myself to now 'til December.

My goal is to put together ~50k in October, and then roll on to NaNoWriMo in November and do another 50k or more. My main problem right now (ignoring whether or not I can hit those totals) is that in the last week or so I've had two completely unrelated novel-length ideas present themselves to me, and it's hard to choose.

I'll probably go with the one less like what I've written in the past (an sf Big Dumb Object type story) because it'll be more of a stretch and I don't want to get into a rut. If I find that's not working, or if I finish it by the end of October, I'll switch to the reality-warping New Wave woo-woo novel.

I'm chomping at the bit.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:47 pm:   

Awesome news -- glad you could all join the fun, Elizabeth, Vera, and Jamie!

I'll post more details about the "rules" tomorrow. There really aren't any hard and fast rules other than writing each day and posting your wordage each day, here or in your own online journal.

Kathy Gabriel
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:09 pm:   

I will be writing at least 500 words per day, 1000 a weekend day on my fantasy novel that I've been avoiding for a couple of years. I'll do this for two months. In order to gear up a little bit I wrote 2700 words on it on Sunday. (She says, right pleased with her little self.) Oh, the novel's called, at present, _How to Knit_, and it's based on my Clarion story of the same name. I'll post word counts in my JournalScape journal. I'm "gabriel" on there.

I edit as I go, which slows me down and I wonder if any of you have any tips for me on getting rid of that dorky little habit. I do end up with a close-to-ready product at the end, but if I have to change anything it's harder because I love all my words soooo much!

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 08:24 pm:   

Mike,

Thanks and this is gonna be great! :-)

Kathy,

That's not a "dorky little habit," that's just a rolling edit, and I do exactly the same thing and like it just fine. :-) Sure, that may be the reason why it took me 18 years to write my first novel, but at least the first draft is as near final as it can be.

What I do most recently is tell myself whenever I get stumped and caught up in line edit mode instead of going on -- "What the hell are you trying to say here? Spit it out already!"

And usually that seems to helps me focus and go on faster and cut out the editing. Kinda like a little regular shake you have to give yourself. Like a "snap out of it" that Cher says to Nicholas Cage (accompanied with a nice ringing slap) in Mooostruck ;-)

Kathy Gabriel
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 06:50 am:   

Well, cool. I'm not the only one then. I feel encouraged. The things I've just whipped out give me ideas, so it's useful that way, so I'll probably try to get myself to do that more, too. Thanks, Vera.

Mike,

How bout making a new thread just for word counts and daily comments? Then we don't have to go read 17 journals. I'll get all sidetracked if I do that, dunno about anyone else.

Kathy G

Elizabeth Peake
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 07:37 am:   

I agree. There should be one thread for the word counts and comments regarding the novel dare itself. That doesn't mean we can't publish to our journals, but it gives a chance to spend less time reading all the journals and more time doing what we, um, are supposed to be doing.:-)

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 07:54 am:   

Yep, I'll start a brand-new topic tomorrow where everyone can post their progress. If all you want to post are your words written, that's cool. Or you can go into more detail. Whatever works best for you.

Look for the new entry early tomorrow.

Really, that's the extent of the "rules" -- write, and then, as a reward, post your progress. That's what keeps me motivated and on task. Seeing other people get some good writing done always inspires me, as an extra added bonus.

Peter Sanderson
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 08:28 am:   

Doh!

Peter Sanderson == Peter/Yaga == me

Sorry for the confusion

Xanne
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:11 am:   

I've been posting my 'Novel Progress Report' on my LiveJournal, so this is not a new concept for me. I try to include what I'm READING as well as WRITING, so that I know that even if I'm slacking on the writing, I'm still getting my literary groove on. :-)

That being said, posting in front of other more accomplished writers sounds absolutely terrifying! So I'll do it! Maybe it will force me to be prolific, eh?

So I'm writing an fantasy novel of the "epic fantasy" school (which means it's insanely huge). I'm gonna try to have a solid Chapter 4 and 5 by the end of this week. So maybe I should put my goal around Chapter 8/Chapter 9 by the end of October? That would take me to the finishing lines of Part One! Happiness!

So intimidated but gonna try this anyway,
~X

Michael Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:49 am:   

No problem, Peter/Yaga! Jenn Reese filled me in on your "identity/alter-ego" :-)

Xanne -- glad you could join us. I hope it helps you get that first draft done. The last Dare I did resulted in a couple drafted novels by various participants (including one by me that I need to revise! Doh!).

Mary
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:49 am:   

Ah, NaNoWriMo, what a wonderful month that was!

My family was angry with me for not calling (I was writing), my friends were angry with me for not going out (I was writing), the folks at the dog sled race committee were angry with me for not getting the contributor's letters out on time (I was writing), I was angry at myself for not getting enough done every day, and towards the end when the novel had crashed and burned, I met my future fiance going through the same guilt and misery over his own failed novel attempt a mere two hours away.

I'll be damned if I'm trying it again this year. No way no way no way!

Ok, well, maybe.

Andreas Black
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   

Xanne,

Is this your LiveJournal?

Rachel Heslin
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   

Hi!

Um, I'm not going to be able to participate this time. But I have a really, really good reason!

{: )

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 01:34 pm:   

It had better be a good reason, Rachel. ;)

Okay, I've got a million things to do tonight before I start jamming on the novel tomorrow. See you at 4:30 a.m.!!!

(I mean, isn't that the time EVERYONE gets up to write???)

Xanne
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:31 pm:   

Andreas,

That is CRAZY! That picture is of me but that LiveJournal is old-old-old. THIS is the real version. (By the way, the fact that I'm posting that link is a real act of boldness on my part, so I hope you won't read over my daily nothings and realize what an unsalvageable geek I am!)

Let me know if any of you have a LJ I might add 'friends' to, although these websites ala Mike Jasper's are fantastic, and I'm incredibly jealous. So why would you want anything LIKE those silly things? :-D

Oh god, nervous-nervous-nervous. What are we supposed to be doing? Writing or something? Heh!

~X

Andreas Black
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 05:19 pm:   

I'm sure it's no worse than mine. besides, I was a geek before you were born, youngster. :-) I'm even older than 'Ol Mike Jasper.

By the way, weren't you at the Swanwick party?

Oh, and if you read my journal, a bit of warning. I had a really bad day today.

Now, who's up for some wordage?

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 07:43 pm:   

Well, I am in a bit of distracted mood, since Conjecture is looming and I leave for the con early on Friday morning. So probably I will actually really start cracking on the Dare on Monday when I get back, by which point you guys would have had at least 5 days on me. That's okay!

Or, I could try to get something written tomorrow.

Simon owens
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   

600 words for today.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 03:39 am:   

Andreas, no way you're older than me. I'm 33, dude! That's way old.

Michael Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 03:41 am:   

Okay, everyone -- I've got the Discussion topic for the Novel Dare started up, so go over there and post your words already!!!

(there's also a link to this page from my main journal page, in the upper right-hand corner)

Feel free to share links to your online journals in that area!

Now quit surfing and get writing. Seriously.

Andreas Black
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 05:14 am:   

Sorry, dude. I'm 35. That's way older. :-) I'll be 36 in November. Thanks for the compliment, though.

I'm awake, and sitting at the computer, with nothing better to do than churn out some wordage. Let's go!

Andreas Black

The Ancient One

Kathy Gabriel
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 06:34 am:   

Ahem. I am 48 and didn't start writing til I was 40. I mean, really writing. So *I* am the oldest.

Andreas Black
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 07:16 am:   

Ah, yes. But Id never offend a lady by giving her a title like those attributed to Ol' Mike and myself.

Unless you'd like to take the eastern philosophical approach...?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 01:35 pm:   

35 -- who knew?

Andreas Black
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 01:47 pm:   

Only a select few, 'til now. People always guess way low. Perhaps it's my inner child shining through, who knows?

Perhaps, if I start acting my age?

mskyranch
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 10:21 pm:   

sorry, you all, but i'm 54, and didn't start writing seriously (again) until i was at wotf with mike in 2000.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:07 pm:   

It's funny, Mark -- Writers of the Future was a huge kick-in-the-ass motivator for me as well.

Maybe it was something in the Scientologist's water (we stayed at one of their hotels for a week)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration