World Fantasy 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » World Fantasy 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 11:30 am:   

All right -- just bought my membership to this fall's World Fantasy Convention!!

It should be cool -- I've never been, and I get to not only launch the antho I'm editing -- Intracities -- there, but also see my story in Flytrap and read the other tales in that new 'zine, and hopefully run into a bunch of writer friends there.

So if you're going to WFC, drop me a line and let me know -- I'd like to say hi, have a drink or two with ya.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 08:57 am:   

I'm definitely there, dude. I'll be buying my membership this week. I've never been to World Fantasy either (tho I have been to World SF and World Horror), but I've heard it's a really fun time. And I look forward to seeing Intracities released there.

I also like the idea of traveling by train. I originally wanted to drive, but traffic in DC would probably make my head explode. How did you go about getting train tickets?

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 10:16 am:   

The wife and I are considering running down to DC for the weekend. We like the area quite a bit and don't mind the excuse to get down there. I probably won't be buying a full membership, but I may buy a day membership if we head down.

JK

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 10:48 am:   

Lord knows I'll be there. Haven't missed a WFC in, hrm, ten-eleven years? I think so. It's fun -- much, much quieter than WorldCon, natch, as it's far smaller, and business rather than fan oriented. But that also means you can find a seat in the bar without overt violence (at least until Tim Powers and I start to discuss gun control laws again). :-)

Although I may disappear suddenly halfway through the banquet this time around, to get a head start on the usual irate hordes...

John, I don't think day memberships are available to WFC.

-- Laura Anne
WFA judge

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 10:59 am:   

"John, I don't think day memberships are available to WFC.-- Laura Anne"

Oh well, then I'll hang out in the bar and steal someone's badge so I can run into the dealer's room.

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 11:36 am:   

Oh god, I forgot about the dealer's room. I'm drooling already...

KJ Bishop
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 11:59 am:   

I'm going, I hope. I want to meet some of my email friends, and find out what a Twinkie tastes like.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   

The first World Fantasy I went to (in New Orleans, '94) I spent nearly $400 in the dealer's room. Since then, I've been very leery of them.

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 01:12 pm:   

KJ, you don't have Twinkies in Australia? You're really not missing much, but I'm sure you'll be able to find them in any convenience store in DC.

I'm definitely going to have to set a budget for the dealer's room. I went a little nuts at WorldCon in Baltimore a few years ago, probably blew around $200. There are several authors I always look for in the used book stores, and those will be the main ones I look out for. Anything else is gravy. Well, I guess it's all gravy if you think about it, but I like gravy.

KJ Bishop
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 02:03 pm:   

Jason - nope, no Twinkies here. We have all kinds of cream-filled sponge cakes, but not the Twinkie kind, so I want to try this legendary food, even if it's really only just another cream-filled sponge cake.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 04:20 pm:   

KJ -

Avoid Twinkies and Moon Pies. As someone from the same country I can assure you, no good comes from them. I'll be in Washington too. Maybe we'll catch up.

Jonathan

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 04:28 pm:   

Twinkies are petroluem by-products and the root of all stomach aches. I once ate three in one sitting (it was college, I was all-nighting) and haven't been able to think of them without flinching since.

If you must consume such things, go for Yodels. Snack cake of champions.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 05:56 pm:   

Awesome news, folks -- those of you who can make it to WFC! Having JUST gotten back from DC an hour or 2 ago, I can assure you it's a kick-ass place to be. My wife and I walked over every last damn inch of it, I believe. Lovely city.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 07:24 pm:   

Hey Laura Anne

I saw a documentary once where an archaeologist said that twinkies saved his life once. He was in a cave or something when it collapsed. Twinkies burn for about 20 minutes a piece, giving him plenty of light to use to find his way out. Hey...it's better than eating them.

Jonathan

KJ Bishop
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 07:43 pm:   

I had to look Moon Pies up. They look sort of like Wagon Wheels, which I haven't dared eat for years. Maybe I'll just buy some Twinkies and Moon Pies and Yodels - thanks for the tip, Laura Anne - and take them home and give them to my friends' small children. Kids seem to have tough stomachs.

We should catch up, Jonathan. I know Justin Ackroyd is going. Do you know if any other Oz folk are?

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 08:37 pm:   

Well...I understand that Sean Williams, Jack Dann, Janeen Webb and Garth Nix are all likely to be going, so there should be quite the OZ contingent. I'm supposed to be sharing a room with Sean, so he better be there, and Justin and I have some business to do, so we'll certainly be crossing paths. I haven't been to a World Fantasy before, but from what I understand if you go to the dealer's room, the bar or a nearby restaurant you're pretty much guaranteed to be in the thick of it.

J

Night Shade Books
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 11:52 pm:   

Night Shade will be in da house, sporting a couple of dealer tables. Including a table chock full of The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases. All your wallets are belong to us.

Jason

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 06:48 am:   

Hey Jason

We got nowhere near a bar in San Jose. Maybe this time, yes?

J

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 09:44 am:   

KJ -

Whatever you do don't give twinkies to small children. My mom once made me eat one as form of punishment and I got terribly sick.

Brendan

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 10:08 am:   

Twinkies, hmmm, not very good.

I mean, they're not Ho-Hos, are they?

JK

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 11:43 am:   

Kristin and I decided that because of our wedding 9/13, Worldcon would just be too insane (sorry, John). But the good news is that -- if we are able to x-fer our worldcon memberships -- we're going to try to go to World Fantasy. I had a lot of fun at last year's. Sounds like a good crew is going to be here this year.

So if you know anyone who wants a Worldcon membership--have them email me!!! (I think I have one transferred already; not finalized, but 90% sure on that).

Bonus for me--I'm hoping to make it down to Charlottesville for a day, where I lived before moving to Minnesota. Haven't been back since.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 01:25 pm:   

Jonathan,

Oh, I think at least one bar, if not several. After the Disease Guide, I think I'm going to need many drinks. Many.

Besides, in San Jose I couldn't find anyone. 4000 people in half a dozen hotels does not make for easy mingling. The only time I ever saw anyone was the Tor party, and I was busy trying not to come down with heat stroke.

Jason

Liz Williams
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 03:59 pm:   

I am hoping to make it, but depends on time and dosh situation. Last one I attended was this side of the pond.

I have never eaten any of these things. Nor do I plan to do so. Drinks, yes.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 05:37 pm:   

Forget the Twinkies, kids. Beer and chicken wings are where it's at. The spicier the better -- wings, not the beer. Us locals will help the foreigners. We'll drink and chat by the Twinkie light while discussing Lambshead's diseases...

Jonathan -- I've heard too that WFCs are a much cozier affair than the urban sprawl of a WorldCon. Hope to bump into you there, along with the rest of ya. Alan -- it'd be great to meet you and Kristin! Same for the rest of you -- Liz, Jason, John. Is that Hartley fella coming?

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 06:50 pm:   

"I've heard too that WFCs are a much cozier affair than the urban sprawl of a WorldCon."

Oh lord, yes. 800 people vs. 5,000+. You can actually get to the bar without having to commit an act of violence (assuming you don't want to do so anyway). And cool, it sounds like I'll be able to add some more Aussies to my usual Commonwealth bar companions (it has been noted that I tend to drink with Brits and Canadians. And, of course, Hartley. But I'm not quite sure where he qualifies any more. *grin*). Hrm. I may have to find another bar worthy of note. I've yet to top Montreal's offering...

"Whatever you do don't give twinkies to small children."

Ah, but the resulting sugar frenzy is so entertaining to watch. From a safe distance, and with someone else's children, naturally.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:36 pm:   

Ah, and of course, it'll be nice to talk more with you, Laura Anne, preferably without the smokiness of the "smokers' lounge" from last year's WorldCon! ;)

I like 800 vs. 5,000+ much much more.

Liz Williams
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 02:11 am:   

800 vs 5000 plus is much more alluring, I agree. At Worldcon I always feel like a Demento-thing.

I am a bit torn because there is a convention in Nantes (Utopiales) around the same time, which is just the best con ever - oysters, champagne, multi-language tracks - but I think it'll probably be WFC if I can hack the cost.

Laura Anne - it is the opinion du jour of the Britpack that Hartley actually hails from Neptune, and that the whole Aussie thing is just a blind. After all, we've never actually _seen_ his third passport.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 08:57 am:   

Oysters, champagne, multi-language tracks versus Twinkies, Moon Pies, wings, and beer? How could there even be a question in your mind???

I was gonna make a Uranus crack about Hartley, but I hate to tease him if he's not around...

Liz Williams
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 09:02 am:   

Hmmm, you see, Mike - I have a split personality. What I really want is both. Though, admittedly, not on the same plate.

Uranus has already been mined for its comic potential in this regard (I am a Pisces, so teeth-gritted for the next 7 years, eh?). But I'm sure it can be mined some more - the old ones are the best ones, after all.

Liz Williams
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 09:06 am:   

PS: I've suggested he gets his ass over here. If you'll forgive the pun...

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 11:43 am:   

Hmm..."Mining Uranus" Good story title.

I still love the joke in Futurama how Uranus got its name changed because of all the jokes. So they changed it to Urectum.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:45 am:   

Leaving Uranus, um, behind us for now...

I'm thinking of doing a small launch party for INTRACITIES at World Fantasy, and I'm looking for other 'zines launching at or about the same time so we can be the one-stop shop for good reading. I'll also have copies of FLYTRAP from Tim Pratt and Heather Shaw there (Tim and Heather don't think they'll be able to make it).

Anyone else know of a 'zine or antho coming out 'round Halloween? The more the merrier...

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:49 am:   

Mike, do you mean zines that are launching or just those that have issues coming out around that time? I'm asking on behalf of SCHEHERAZADE magazine, which has just gone into A4 format.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 08:25 am:   

Hey Liz -- either a new launch or a new issue, I'm cool with that. Just as long as its relatively new for World Fantasy (meaning that it's coming out in the fall, really). Is this the magazine edited by Elizabeth Counihan?

I'd be happy to peddle copies there at the party, if it helps in any way.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 10:26 am:   

A brief derailment: I posted this on my journal, but this board seems to get a lot more traffic, so I'll repeat it here.

I'll be rooming at World Fantasy with Mike and Derek, but they won't be able to make it until Friday, October 31. Would there be anybody out there who's thinking about going on Thursday who'd be willing to be a fourth roomie? That would make it $87/person that first night and $43.50 the other two nights when the other guys are there. I'm just trying to get the cost as low as possible while still having half a bed to sleep in. Applicants must have a working knowledge of personal hygiene and not snore too loudly.

If you're interested, please let me know.

And I look forward to the zine party. That's the cool thing about when Gavin Grant and Kelly Link set up a table a cons; they sell a bunch of zines, not just Lady Churchill's. Without them, I'd probably not have heard of The Journal of Pulse-Pounding Narratives or Electric Velocipede. I can't wait to see Intracities and Flytrap at WFC.

Liz Williams
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 11:20 am:   

Yes, it's Liz C's mag. Should be a new issue by then - I may be jumping the gun a bit, so I'll check things out with her and get back to you a little bit nearer the time. But thanks! :-)

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 11:43 am:   

Cool -- so far we've got POLYPHONY 3 on board for the party, as well as FLYTRAP and INTRACITIES, with possibly a new issue of SCHEHERAZADE.

I'm in contact with a couple other presses and editors. Should be fun.

Current plan is for a Saturday night party -- is that the best time, WFC vets, or should we plan it for Friday night?

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 01:11 pm:   

If I am not there in person (only for the parties) there will be copies of EV there for people to ooh and aah over. It will be a late decision for whether I'm going. I have to see what else is going on, as I may be in San Francisco and/or WI in November. If that's the case, I don't know if I can justify the trip to DC. But, if we're bored and want to get out, we may make the trip.

JK

Mike
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 03:42 pm:   

Hope you can make it, John. If you can't I'd be happy to help out with selling some EV. :-)

Man, you travel a LOT.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 06:21 am:   

I guess so. That's not normally the case. San Francisco is on the itenerary because my wife goes to the NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) national convention as a speaker/panelist and this year it's in San Fran (last year it was in Atlanta). WI is my home country, and it looks like I won't have any time off at the end of the year, so perhaps Thanksgiving is the time to go. And yes, I'll be in Canada this summer because of Worldcon. And in Boston for Readercon.

Never thought about it, I guess I do travel a lot, huh?

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 07:02 am:   

Anyone heard anything from the WFC folks after they bought their memberships?

I bought mine in early June, and haven't heard a peep in response. I went ahead and voted for the WFC awards. I think I have a good chance of winning with my repeat votes for my own work. ;)

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 01:57 pm:   

I hate to make such a bold request, but can people who are planning on being at World Fantasy this year please e-mail me? I'm trying to coordinate something for all of us if I can.

JK

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:48 am:   

Speaking of WFC, has ANYONE gotten ANY sort of mailing or feedback from the con organizers????

I'm a little disappointed. I don't even know if they got my membership check, and I sent that a month ago.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:53 am:   

E-mail them and badger them. That's what I do with Worldcon. Remember, these things are entirely volunteer run, so they have other things that take up 90% of their time. I didn't get programming stuff for Readercon (meaning: what panel do you want to be on) until two weeks before the convention. That's really not enough time for them to sort out who's on what panel, get back to them, adjust the schedule, and allow the panelists any time to organize what they want to talk about.

I wouldn't worry, but to be safe, contact them and see. You are part of what makes the convention possible (as a paying attendee).

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 06:12 am:   

I haven't heard anything yet either, and I sent in my check around the same time. I'll email them as well. I do have the hotel room reserved and my train tickets in hand, so I'm definitely going.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 06:45 am:   

WFC is fast approaching. Things are falling into place nicely, and we've got a bunch of different small presses signed up for the party on Saturday night. It's gonna be a ball.

And I'm _this_ close to sending INTRACITIES off to the printers. Thank god! I'm so ready to see this sucker in print.

Hope to see you in DC this Halloween!

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 07:48 am:   

So what's the deal for Saturday night at WFC? What time if your shindig kicking off? Who will be there?

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 08:56 am:   

Hey John -- I'm guessing the party on Saturday, 11/1, will kick off in the early evening, let's say 7 p.m. just for now.

Attending/debuting along with Intracities will be:
-Flytrap
-Polyphony 3
-The Best of Strange Horizons
-The Journal of Pulse-Pounding Narratives 2
-Four Seasons in One Day (Jason Erik Lundberg and Janet Chui)
-Greetings from Lake Wu (Jay Lake)

...and possibly some more 'zines and chapbooks to be named later.

For more details, watch the Intracities page. See you there!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 04:46 am:   

A note from the hotel coordinator of World Fantasy:

"A heartfelt request: if you know of anyone else getting a room at World Fantasy who wouldn't mind being near your party that night I'd really appreciate it. I'm having a hard time finding folks to buffer things and am getting very twitchy about it."

We won't be loud, I promise. Want to be a buffer zone?

Contact Elspeth at ekovar@worldnet.att.net

Thanks!

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 10:28 am:   

Hey, just thought of something -- is anyone going to the banquet on Sunday at the World Fantasy Convention?

I'm not sure I can afford the $59 (not after hosting a party the night before and all that), but if folks think it's worth it, I may try to do it.

What do you think? Is the banquet worth it?

Thanks!

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 10:42 am:   

Remind me again when the banquet is? I think my train leaves around 4:00 or 5:00. And why the hell would they have the banquet on a Sunday? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 01:40 pm:   

Jason,

well, for one thing, it's Tradition. And for another, Saturday night is the traditional go-out-for-dinner-with-your-cohorts night (because the mass signing is Friday night). And another, a Sunday afternoon banquet is much cheaper than a Saturday night one.

The banquet is actually a luncheon thing, from mid-afternoon on.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration