May -- The Month of Revision and Two,... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » May -- The Month of Revision and Two, Maybe Three New Stories « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:57 pm:   

A new month is about to start, so what the HELL are you working on? Tell us about it here.

Me, I plan on writing a couple new stories and revising two novels I wrote earlier -- one a Young-Adult Urban Fantasy called THE LAST OF THE HAND and the second my Big SF Near Future Alien Tale, THE WANNOSHAY CYCLE.

So drop in this May and keep prodding us onwards...

Peg Duthie
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:06 pm:   

Finishing the four stories started in April. One's almost done (I'd work on it some more, but I happen to be procrastinating on a critique I need to beam out tonight). Two are sketched out. The fourth is still mostly pre-plot drivel but it also already has some lines that are too good to waste. . .

And the markets I have in mind all have May deadlines, so that should keep the fire lit.

That, and being envious enough of the folks whose names get featured on magazine covers to push harder at my own stuff. :-)

Seriously, though, it's awesome - congratulations, and here's to many more covers. :-)

Andreas Black
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:20 pm:   

Well, now that i've finished my IntraCities submission and sent it off, i'm revising about three short stories so I can collect more of those rejection slips that are all the rage.

They're like pogs, or baseball cards.

Jay C
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 02:43 am:   

Moi, it is is also revision month. Two novels I'm revising. My grand socio/political SF novel, BINARY and my mainstream in which weird shit happens EMPTIES.

Meanwhile, I am doing some work on METAL SKY but more letting it mull a little in the backbrain. Short fiction can take a hike for the moment unless something really bites me. I have about 50 still out there.

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 03:50 am:   

Hrmmm... on tap for the next few weeks:

Two stories in need of polishing, which keep getting put off under the press of Work Things. Another two stories that have to be done by mid-month. So that's four projects right there for this month. All in various stages of almost-finished.

And I need to, on agent's orders, rework the outline for the current novell (a historical fantasy) and do up a proposal for the second book. And outline a proposal for a book in a different series.

In and of themselves, all small bites, but the plate seems very full...

KJ Bishop
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 07:23 pm:   

I'm going to try and crank this draft up to 80,000 words, which means 1500 a day. On target so far.

I'm also writing a literary grant application (not for this book, for the next one). It's kind of funny writing about a book that doesn't exist yet, because I don't tend to know what my stuff's about until it's at least half done. So the application is a work of fiction in itself...

Jon Hansen
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 07:28 am:   

Working on an Intracities story just for you, Mike (no title yet). Got another story ("Drinking the Tears") that flowed nicely up to a point, then my brainpan balked when it came to describing the face of the Titan. But I know how it ends, so I'm not worried. The unnamed Intracities story is the one I'm focusing on, but I haven't got a clue how it'll end. I'm a little worried about writing myself into a corner. We shall see.

Peg Duthie
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:31 am:   

Jon, I hear you. I spent most of yesterday bashing away at a hydra-like corner with a kudzu axe.

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 08:13 am:   

I just had a story write itself into a corner for the second time. I've sent it to its folder with no supper until it decides to become more amenable.

Mike
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 08:26 am:   

Yikes -- y'all are freaking me out with your stories about... well, stories. Misbehavin' stories. And here I just got going on my story for Leviathan 4. Not in the corner yet, only 400 words in...

So far my main character has killed herself and come back, tho... Is that bad???

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:12 pm:   

One story polished and sent off in its best Sunday clothes. Finished one of the new stories tonight -- 4,500 words with two timestreams and three characters. Well okay, four, really. This sucker is either going to sell first time out the gate, or it will languish in the trunk forever.

And there's light at the end of the tunnel for the other new story, which has decided it really needs to be quite short. I'll never get rich off these things!

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:50 am:   

I'm still working on my novel. Still 1500 words a day. I'm getting closer to the end, but now I'm like, geez, what happened to all those loose ends I wanted to tie up? And then there'll be all the revising.

Is this the neverending story or WHAT?

I *love* the comment about rejections like pogs. A nice way of looking at them. My latest fave is from Adbusters, which never responded before. He wrote it in crayon and, I think, signed it "Love, Kalle." So if he didn't want my hot dog story, at least he loves me.

I got the ToC for two anthologies that'll have my stories. Cool, but I think the initial thrill is in the writing, then the selling, Don't you think? Still, I'm in good company. Great titles on some of the other stories.

Peg Duthie
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 01:42 pm:   

Corner conquered. Story submitted. Three to go. Go me! :-)

Jon Hansen
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 05:01 pm:   

Progress on the Intracities story -- no word count, but it's longhand, a half page, and I've got really really *really* small handwriting.

As a bonus, I actually know where the story is supposed to go. It's the same old problem: didn't know enough about the characters, so I didn't know what they should be doing. Story still not finished, but doing *much* better now.

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 07:02 pm:   

Finished the really short story, which seems to have weighed out at about 1,500 words. So not too bad. With luck, the editor will need a really short story to finish out the selection. *grin*

It's also a rather...cute story. I may be drummed out of the Cranky Cynical SOBs club for this one...

Mike
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 05:26 pm:   

No forward progress on the story front, but I've been plotting out sequels to my YA urban fantasy novel and having a freakin' ball doing it. Of course it's a trilogy. Of course the second and third novels aren't written yet...

Of course there are sorcerers, and one or two dragons of varying sizes, and a bald villain... Mwa ha ha!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 07:02 am:   

Please say it's a blad villian with a goatee (or a Van Dyke to be precide)...

Mike
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 09:12 am:   

No Van Dyke on my bad guy, but one of his henchmen has one! Got to have lots o' henchmen.

Jon Hansen
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:01 am:   

Excuse me, but I believe the proper term is "henchpersons"!?!

"People of supportive but not inferior status" is also acceptable, but not "POSBNIS." That's just silly.

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:18 am:   

Henchthings, actually. Or, as we refer to ourselves, "Upper-level minions with a health plan and 401k."

Mike
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:50 am:   

I think I'm giving up on stories for a while to focus on novels. In the past 2 weeks I've gotten rejections on stories that I'd had high hopes for, and that's sort of soured me for a while on stories. Plus I'm enjoying the YA novel with its henchthings and POSBNIS, all of whom have copious facial hair.

So the Leviathan story may have to languish in Unwritten Story Purgatory. At least 'til I finish revamping a couple novels...

Jon Hansen
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:05 am:   

Have finally finished the draft of my Intracities story (and in my defense, I tend to rewrite somewhat as I go, so it's not so much a first draft as it is a second). However, it still doesn't have a title. With luck, I'll think of one by the deadline.

Mike, if I send it to you without a title, would that really be so bad?

Mike
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 03:23 am:   

If you don't send me a title, I'll make one up for ya. And it won't be pretty! ;)

John Klima
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 12:25 pm:   

Finished revising my Intrcities story. The title was fairly long, so I shortened it in the file name. The full title is: "My Kingdom for a Horse" and the file is MyKingdombyJohnKlima.rtf.

Enjoy!

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 02:46 am:   

Instead of finishing up the revisions to my YA urban fantasy novel, or re-thinking my near-future SF novel, or gearing up to rewrite the first two chapters of my paranormal romance novel, I ...

Started a new story! Doh!

This one is an idea I've had bouncing 'round my head for a while, about urban sprawl here in Raleigh, where I live, and how it is approaching the sleepy little town of Wake Forest like a virus looking to spread and incorporate. Resistance is futile.

My main character has been living on the last unfinished bridge between Raleigh and Wake Forest for the past thirty years. We'll see what happens to him in the story.

And I do really need to write that Leviathan 4-inspired story, soon...

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 06:26 pm:   

Inching closer...

Got one novel query package put together, at last at last.

Have to rewrite the first two chapters of the most recent novel (the paranormal romance), and do some work on prolog and first chapter of the SF novel before sending that query package out, but I'm close, man. Real close.

Mike
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:22 pm:   

Okay, sent out 7-8 queries on Friday, and should have another dozen or so to send out Tuesday, provided I get the requisite fixes done to the SF novel and the paranormal romance openings.

I sat down today with all my notes for both novels and I think I've figured out what needs to be done for the SF novel (cut the prologue and revamp chapter one, and shorten chapters 2 and 3).

For the romance, I need to really punch up the first chapter, and add more conflict to the second chapter, deepening my male protag's character. And then it will be THERE.

I hope...

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 06:19 am:   

Got the fixes done to the SF novel, and I'll be damned if I'm not pumped up about revising this sucker next month. Just added a couple much-needed sub-plots about the world-building (and got rid of one of the major characters!), and everything is just falling into place. Looking forward to this one now.

SHould have the opening to the romance novel done by the weekend, if I can stay focused on that one and not the SF novel... :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration