April Dare, Part 2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » April Dare, Part 2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 11:45 am:   

I've started this new section for the last half of April. I was getting tired of scrolling.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   

You can always just hit the 'end' button on your keyboard and that will take you to the bottom of a webpage. 'Home' will take you to the top of the page. You may need to click somewhere on the page first.

BTW, on topic, no writing at all this week (ok, 25 freaking words this morning) because of work deadlines heading into my vacation! I printed out about 20,000 words of submissions to read on the plane, does that count for anything? I also have 10 stories to edit (probably 30,000 words) that I'll be taking with me too.

JK

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 02:45 pm:   

So, a couple of thousand words in the last couple of days, all changes tweaks, additions, taking away -- editing.

But, I made a discovery today. I am within spitting distance of my million finished words. This is my next goal. 56k to go. This year for sure.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 07:09 pm:   

Whew -- finally managed to break out of my mini-slump and get this next scene scribbled out! I'm finding that in my 1,500-words (or more) bursts of writing that I'm almost consistently writing complete scenes.

Kind of nice. It's making me end more scenes on cliffhangers, to keep me interested and excited in what's gonna happen next, and that should carry over into enthusiasm for the reader, turning those pages.

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 07:27 pm:   

Editing. Move a word here, correct a typo there, double-check a timeline or blocking. Needful, but slow going, and nowhere near as fun as the creating part (yeah, the editor hates editing herself).

Tommorow this chunk of text goes off to the writers' group and I get to do the fun part again.

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 09:17 pm:   

Aw, but now we got away from the Bon Jovi thread.

I was a Madonna girl in the '80s, but the boys in grade eight loved Bon Jovi. I remember them changing the words to "You give love a bad name" into French so they could sing it in our French Immersion class. "Tire au coeur..."

Writing went surprisingly smoothly tonight, after lazing around post written exam today. A scene between Severine, Niles, and Claremount (I realize this means nothing to most people here): 1591.

Don't think I posted yesterday, because I finished writing after my evening emerg shift: 1503.

Mid-month total, including today: 24,660.

I know that so many times, without a daily commitment, I just wouldn't have written. So even though it's a bit of a stick, it's working for me.

Melissa

KJ Bishop
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 01:22 am:   

2642 yesterday, 2851 today. As Jeff V said on the first thread, this is a useful goad. Listening to Raison d'Etre 'Prospectus 1', sort of dark ambient evil monk stuff with church bells.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 07:13 am:   

Jay:

At the rate you write, a million words should be what, next week some time? Now that's a race.

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 08:28 am:   

Yeah, I shudder to think at the sheer volume of words being created this month, by everyone.

I'm wondering how Jay discerns between "finished" and not finished words. They have punctuation? Proper spelling? Logical order? ;)

Jay C
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 09:38 am:   

Finished words are those I'm prepared to send out.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 06:49 pm:   

600 words on the train ride this morning. Now, off to Arizona and nine days in the sun with in-laws and tequila. <sigh> No writing will get done. Will be editing, though.

JK

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 04:56 am:   

Have fun, John! Sounds awesome to me. Jay -- I gotcha. Just giving you a hard time! ;)

Thursday was again a bust for me, writing-wise. But I should make up for it today at work -- nobody but me will be in the ol' office...

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 02:24 pm:   

Argh. Fading a bit this week. Only did 300 words today, zilch yesterday. Real Life keeps rearing its ugly head.

Think I'll drown my sorrows in cheap Scotch (Black and White, anyone?) and watch a movie or 2 with my lovely wife. Rented "One Hour Photo" and bought the DVD of "The Matrix." Geek-out time!

How's everyone else doing?

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:49 pm:   

Mark, boy, it sucks to lose the backup. What a nightmare!

I'm 1555 yesterday, 1515 today. I also finally finished redoing my janitor story from Kris and Dean, not counted in those words, but another 1.5K probably.

I'm resetting my clock from being on overnight yesterday. Really screws up the body's machinations. But I have probably found the place I'm going to work this summer, so I'm happy.

Melissa

KJ Bishop
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 11:17 pm:   

Me, I'm sick...
Did 1000 words yesterday before packing it in and retiring to the couch to drink cups of tea and read Proust.

Peg Duthie
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 11:32 pm:   

Argh indeed. No new wordage here - getting mown down by other deadlines. Sigh.

Still, there's what, ten days to go? so I'm still hopeful I can pull together 2100 more. Another bout of manic insomnia might do it . . .

Laura Anne
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 05:14 am:   

I've been taken out by editing deadlines. Stupid production schedule. But I've an editor on my back to write a story for her featuring two of my favorite characters, so I figure all I have to do is sit quietly and let them start talking at some point...

Oh, and a plot. I need a plot, too. Anyone have one just sitting there I could use?

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 02:18 pm:   

3,500 words today -- wahoo! Trying to get back on schedule after a rough, up-and-down week. Kudos to my wife for kicking me in the ass and getting me back to the computer for a couple hours today.

Melissa -- I'm intrigued. Can I read the janitor story, or are you gonna make me wait to see it in print...? :-)

Sounds like everyone's had sort of a crazy week. Hang in there -- this is ALWAYS the part of the month in a Dare that I hit the wall. Come here to vent and wallow in the misery and success.

Whatever it takes to get the words out!

Laura Anne
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 05:25 pm:   

1,500 -- evildoers doing evil deeds. *cue mustache-twirling music*

On other fronts, I took the three words that had been juggling around in my head while thinking about the new story-plot, Googled them, and came up with inspiration in the form of a newspaper article from 2000. Gotta love technology. <g>

JeffV
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 06:03 pm:   

Wednesday--500 words.
Thursday--zippo
Friday--350 words
Saturday--250 words

Tomorrow I sit down and look at the remaining scenes and figure out the order. I'm interweaving scenes from the character's childhood with the main narrative, and balancing information about two other important characters. So I think I've slowed down because I'm not entirely sure of the order. I'll straighten that out tomorrow morning. The good news is--I've only got about 20,000 words to go. And of that, about 4,000 to 5,000 is one continuous scene that, quite frankly, is of a type that has never been done before in fantasy fiction. But, then, this whole book has been like that. It's going to kick ass or be terrible.

JeffV

KJ Bishop
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 12:15 am:   

2330 words today, though that was re-writing. For some reason I enjoy re-writes a lot more than first drafts.

Jeff, you've got me wondering about that scene now. I am trying to think what has never been done before in fantasy fiction. Given the things I've come up with so far, I can only say that I think I need to get outside more.

Mike
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 09:14 am:   

Yeah, I'm definitely wondering what Jeff's up to in his scene! I'll be HE's twirling his mustache right now...

Got about 4,300 words in this morning in a marathon catch-up session. I'm looking at about 20,000 more words to finish up, and it's getting pretty fun to write now, as all my plotline begin to converge and the final act starts.

Or perhaps I've just deluded myself. In any case, over 8,000 words in two days is nice!

I'm off now to read some of Mark's novel and some stories from Polyphony 2 and think about my Next Novel... :-)

Laura Anne
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 06:37 pm:   

A little under 1,500 words on a new story, with the interesting revelation that the opening paragraph is actually the ending paragraph. This story is either going to kick @ss or leave the editor scratching her head and going "what drugs is Gilman on this time?"

And the reminder that a submission deadline is coming up fast in the rear view mirror got me started note-taking on another story. I suspect the novel will be tabled this week until I get both of these projects in some coherent final draft shape...

But now, drat it, I have to go type up some ediorial notes for an author who isn't going to appreciate them. Or me. Be kind to your editors, folks. They need love too!

Laura Anne
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 06:57 pm:   

*sigh* And that should have read "editorial." There's a reason I don't hire myself out as a proofreader...

JeffV
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 11:54 pm:   

8,500 words today after zippo the last couple of days. In essence, I have just completed a rough draft of the novel minus some connective tissue.

JeffV

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:31 am:   

Wahoo! That's TWO folks who have finished novels on this Dare. Always good news. Congrats, Jeff!

Nice work everyone else, too.

mark siegel
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 09:29 am:   

new computer up and running -- and my wife left town for a few days! so i went from zero (output in the last four days) to 3,500 immediately. hope to knock out another couple thousand tonight, before she returns tomorrow.
and looking back over the month, i think i've done close to 100 pages on a novel that was completely stalled before i started the dare, so i'd be hard-pressed to knock the efficacy of what we're doing. i'm also at a point where things are really falling together, so it's easy to go fast.
also need to thank whoever recommended queens of the stone age. am having fun with "songs for the deaf."

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 01:48 pm:   

Mark -- glad this is helping. I first heard about doing a novel in a month or three months as part of a Clarion dare, writing a novel fast with your fellow Clarion grads cheering you on.

I think writing fast keeps you from questioning yourself and getting stuck. Just keep plowing ahead and tell yourself you'll fix the niggling details later. And some cool stuff happens when you write it quickly, not the least of which is that glazed look you get after churning out a couple thousand words...

mark siegel
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 02:29 pm:   

i question myself anyway. my characters question me. my wife has no questions, she already knows i suck and that i'm just wasting valuable time i could be using to suck up to her for past misdeeds. i write fast because i have to hide it.

mark siegel
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:26 pm:   

by the way, i still don't have a title on this novel. (sometimes i a title is all i have.) it's noir detective, 1946, hollywood, dragons attacking. "screwed up " is not a title option. Hollywood Dragons? The Dragons of Burbank (or Sunset Strip)?

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 07:54 pm:   

Mike, sure, I'll send you the janitor story. No rush on reading it. It was part of the Oregon thing, we were assigned mystery stories on certain jobs. But don't read it at the expense of your writing! :-) Elizabeth was right.

Mark, I like Hollywood Dragons or D. o. Sunset Strip. I don't know Burbank except from the Price Is Right, so it wouldn't ring any bells.

I guess writing fast does help you get over the voices. Myself, I'm just grunting for the first 500, and then I go on. So I could probably do more than 1500, but I'm not pushing it. I already didn't study tonight...

So 1509 Sat (up 'til 2:30 a.m. on that. Too hard to write during X-Men and The Royal Tennenbaums)
1509 Sun
1501 today

Melissa
P.S. If you haven't seen Bend it like Beckham, it's a great movie!

mark siegel
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 10:09 pm:   

think i heard a great review of "bend it" today; indian comedy, right? cracked out another 3k words and am screaming toward climax. my wife coming home tomorrow should put a halt to that, though. er, i mean, the novel writing. problem is, the thing (Dragons of Sunset Strip? a bit worried that will be mistaken for a karate story) is only going to be about 220 pages, too short, eh? (that was a canadian `eh,' by the way.) i'll probably go back and add some more action stuff at the beginning. only one guy and a couple cats get killed in the first 10 chapters, not counting the black dahlia evisceration.
or i could switch to a city story for mike's antho. just started a "scary rednecks" book by an acquaintence of mine and am thinking that's a part of my own personality i haven't let out of the cage lately.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:24 am:   

Mark -- I like Dragons of the Sunset Strip. But maybe you could work a nod in there to all the writers in your story for your title?

I loved the "cat fishing" scene in your book, Mark, by the way.

Melissa -- thanks for the story, and your "notes"!! Excellent.

1300 words yesterday, finishing up chapter 19. 6 chapter to go, maybe probably.

The story is chugging along nicely, and I ended my writing session with a twist that came out of nowhere, and definitely WASN'T in my outline. Not sure where this is going to take me, but it could be quite fun. Sometimes you have to go where the story takes you, I guess...

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:27 am:   

Mark -- I'd go by word counts over pages -- 220 pages of Times New Roman is about 400 pages of Courier, I think. Which equals a very healthy 100,000-page novel.

90k is the sort-of minimum, but shorter books like _Down and Out in the Magical Kingdom_ are much shorter -- that one was about 60-70k, methinks.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 07:18 am:   

I was asking Patrick Nielsen Hayden at Clarion about average word counts for novels, and he said the typical range is from 80k to 120k, though they've certainly published larger. Down and Out is only 60k, but has enough ideas to fill a book twice that size.

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 08:11 pm:   

No writing tonight because it was CGAG time (Cross-Genre Abuse Group, my writers' group). I walked away feeling decidedly unabused... they really liked this chunk of the novel. I mean, as in only typos and some blocking problems to nitpick, and these are some of the nitpickiest people I've ever met, bless their blue pencils. So I guess the first half of the book is finally ready to go to the agent, so she'll stop tapping her foot and giving me Those Looks.

Eeeep. And other sounds of total authorial wigging.

And on the way home, I came up with a line that made the short story I've been wrestling with (the one where the first para became the last) fall obediently into place. I'm quietly stoked. <g>

Melissa
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 08:26 pm:   

It sounds like everyone's on a roll.

I just put out my 1502. I've been distracted, setting up my summer work and stuff.

Mark--finishing another novel. Great. Yep. Indian comedy. Hilarious.

Mike, you're welcome. And definitely agree to go with the plot twists out of nowhere. That's basically how I write.

Laura Anne, sounds like you've got reason to be stoked.

I'm off to bed. 'Night,
Melissa

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:37 am:   

No writing. Recovering, thinking and searching for an idea.

KJ Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:45 am:   

2700 today, 1500 yesterday. I wrote in longhand today, trying to save my eyes, then just sat and typed it out, which meant I could listen to music with lyrics, as I wasn't trying to think about words while I typed. I dug out 'Bismallah: Highlights from the Fez Festival of World Sacred Music' from the CD pile. Some of those Sufi tunes get me bopping around in the chair so much I'm going to break it one day.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 08:59 am:   

Argh! Thursday's blahs struck early this week, leaving me wordless for Tuesday.

'Course, I have a good excuse -- my wife finished up her last grad school class night and we went out for Mexican and a towering pitcher of lime margaritas that pretty much knocked us both on our asses.

I've GOT to finish this novel by month's end.

mark siegel
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 06:02 pm:   

managed a first and then (i hope) final draft of a short story (2,200) and got in another few hundred words on the novel before my wife showed up four hours early from LA. another land speed record under her belt.
both mentions of "down and out in the magical kingdom" imply it's worth reading. i've never heard of it; who's it by?

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 07:42 pm:   

Cory Doctorow wrote _Down and Out_, and it's available as a free download from his website at http://www.craphound.com/down and as a regular print book from Tor.

One'a dese days I'm'a gonna read it...

Greg van Eekhout
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 08:51 pm:   

Down and Out is an engaging read, though for some reason I expected higher idea density and more eyeball kicks. While so many novels suffer from bloat, I thought Down and Out was a bit too short for its own good. It felt slightly underdeveloped.

Still, not a bad debut at all, and I'm looking forward to his next.

mark siegel
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:35 pm:   

is he really to ragtime, etc. doctorow?

Greg van Eekhout
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 05:52 pm:   

Mark, he claims to be a distant relative of E.L. Doctorow, whom he's never met. Apparently his parents did once met E.L., who was unimpressed to meet relatives he never knew he had.

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 08:10 pm:   

1300 or so, not including some revision work I did at lunch. Could push it more, but the next scene is the Big Action Moment and I'd do better coming at it with a well-rested brain.

I don't think it's going to suit the anthology I was planning it for, though. Very weird little story. Oh well.

Still on schedule to have it finished by Saturday. And having said that, I've now jinxed myself. *sigh*

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 04:10 am:   

2,300 words so far today -- got up early to get some writing done, just like I used to do in the "old days." 5 a.m. -- ouch.

Working from home today, so I'm hoping to get some more writing done on breaks. We'll see how it goes.

I'm just glad to FINALLY break the 60,000-word barrier. That had been eluding me all week.

More later, hopefully.

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 07:15 am:   

Up to 3,600 words for the day. Got some Day Job stuff to do. Maybe I'll get back to this scene later -- it's the "hook-up" scene, at last. Eeew. ;)

Almost 33,000 words this month alone. Very cool.

Jay C
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 07:18 am:   

Not writing. Stressing. Thinking. Thinking is good. In that terrible place where I'm awaiting feedback and trying to choose which particular project I want to work on at the moment. It will be time for a deluge once that place has been found.

mark siegel
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 09:36 am:   

i'm still looking for a sexier title. mike, you're right, it would be better to work in some reference to the writers, or at the least the noir subgenre, but:

Chasing the Dragons of LA (too druggy).
Farewell, My Dragon; The Big Burn; The Long Sayonara (too Chandler).
Mr. Moto and the Dragons of Hollywood (probably copywrite violation, thanks to the new Disney Supreme Court).
Pinot "Penny" Noir, Girl Detective (has nothing to do with the book, other than the Noir; she's the illegitimate daughter of Guy Noir and Pinot "Penny" Grigio, a mobster's wife, head of Detroit's Lillac Gang which came to LA in the early 40s to take over the garment industry, discovered that was in NY and so settled for the Hollywood Costumers Union.... Forget it.)

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 11:20 am:   

Um. The Dragon Writers of LA?

Kidding!

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 02:39 pm:   

Total of 4,700 words today! Whew. Looks like I have 2, maybe three more chapters to go. And I even got the sex scene done. Not a bad day at all.

Jay C
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 03:11 pm:   

Mike, go you! Good to see.

Laura Anne
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 04:28 am:   

Only about 750 words last night, but they involved a critical realization about a character's fate, so they were pretty important words. And the first draft of the story is done. I may make the deadline yet.

mark siegel
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 09:28 am:   

managed about 1,500 yesterday before going off to see the flick melissa mentioned, "bend it like beckham." liked it a lot, though i just saw "monsoon wedding" a month or two ago, and saw my wife edging away from "bend it" because of our recent discussions with our own daughter whose current reason for not going to law school is not because she has great potential as a soccer pro, but because she likes working in the coffee house in pasadena.

mark siegel
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 09:40 pm:   

The Big Burn

Mike
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 03:48 am:   

Mark -- I like it!!!

Forgot to post in here last night, but I did 2,200 words yesterday, off and on, getting closer to the finale, which I hope to polish off today. Wahoo!

Mike
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 03:51 am:   

New soundtrack for writing -- "Scarlet's Walk" by Tori Amos. Finally got around to buying this one. It's a keeper.

Mike
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 06:59 pm:   

1,800 words today. JUST ABOUT THERE. Less than a chapter to go, and every is still holding together. Nobody is more shocked at this development than me...

John Klima
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 07:21 am:   

Back from vaca. Spent much time in sunny AZ, but also spent two days in snow-covered nearly-invisible Grand Canyon. Saw it clearly for about a half hour and then the snow/ice storm rolled in. Caught whatever bug was keeping my in-laws down and passed it on to the wife (some sort of sinus/throat cold-like thing). Actually wrote about 1500 outliney words for a novella I'm crafting to send to Leviathan. Spent a lot of time sitting in an outdoor jacuzzi drinking margaritas. Or teaching my in-laws the joys of chianti with proscuitto-wrapped melon and really good parmesan. (should post this in Jay's bar...)

Hope to get some real writing done today, but have lots of work to do since I was out for ten days.

<sigh>

While not writing a book like many people on this challenge, this has helped me finish off several short pieces.

JK

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:18 am:   

Welcome back, John! Glad that this little ol' Dare helped you get some stories done! I've enjoyed your entries, and everyone else's. Keeps me motivated.

Snow in the Grand Canyon -- that's surreal.

mark siegel
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:46 pm:   

snows in the canyon all the time. north rim is up at about 7,500 feet, i think.
john, don't know you, or don't know if i do (were you with mike at conjose?), but next time you're in central az (phoenix area), let me know. i too have a hot tub and cold margaritas.
finished the first draft of The Big Burn by writing through much of the night. 222 pages. i'll try to give it a rest for a couple days, then will go back to add some local color, descriptions, etc.
but there still are two days on the dare! what am i gonna do? writing to fucking agents doesn't count. maybe i'll rewrite an oldie but longie. that new Nexxus web site is paying pro rates for literary sf, and, hey, I am Mr. Literaryary.

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 06:06 pm:   

Mark, I thought you were Mr. Spellchecker...? ;)

Only 400 words or so tonight. Tomorrow I get up early and do some writing to finish this mofo. Too tired today to be much use to anyone.

Melissa
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 06:21 pm:   

I haven't posted for a while, because of my three night shifts in a row (just got around to checking my e-mail), but I've been hitting 1500 words daily.

Woohoo, Mike! You're closing in.

Mark, I'm glad you went to see Bend It! It's great.
Btw, clearly, the solution to having to rest after finishing the novel is to just keep writing the novel. It's endless. But at least I'm getting CLOSER.
I like these:
Farewell, My Dragon
Mr. Moto and the Dragons of Hollywood
"The Big Burn"--I dunno. When we were in middle school, if you said something cutting, someone else would yell, "Burn!" So that's what I think of. Anyway.

I like the idea of snow in the Grand Canyon. A nice image.

I listened to the Sound of Music for my 1516 words. Climb every mountain.

Melissa

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 06:28 pm:   

Doing closework now -- limited wordage, but a lot of progress. Delicate touches. Enjoyable stuff.

Hopefully, this will get the taint of the manuscript I had to read tonight out of my brain. All the right details for a really cool supernatural thriller, but they just *flopped* on the page like a rag doll. So depressing.

Music -- "Beyond the Lion & The Unicorn"

Peg Duthie
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:40 pm:   

Miles on the motorcycle since Thursday: 1700+

Estimated wordage: 1000 - 1200

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 05:30 am:   

Well, with a day to spare, I finished up the first draft of my paranormal romance!!! Yeehaw and Yahoo! 40,000 words in less than a month -- not bad.

Whew. I think I pulled everything together pretty nicely, and I'm quite happy with the big action scene. I have some revising to do, and I really need to play up the details of my two protagonist's romance, but I think it's all there. And I'm close to my final first-draft wordcount -- I'm right at 70,000 words.

Oh, and I plan on taking a look at the first 3 chapters again tomorrow and revising those a bit, now that the story's done. I think my characters may have changed a bit more since that time, or, actually, I've just gotten to know them better since that time. :-)

This was worth getting up at 4:30 a.m. for!!! Whew.

Mike J
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 09:44 am:   

Oh, and Mark -- huge congrats, man! Not sure if I told you this or not. Looking forward to ready this one. Hopefully soon.

mark siegel
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 02:40 pm:   

thanks mike. let me know if you want a reader on the romance; not only am i mr. spellchecker and mr. literary, i am also mr. sensitive!

KJ Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 06:45 pm:   

Congrats, Mike!
I got 5000 done yesterday and today, giving me 35,000 for the month. This draft is as rough as guts, but at least it's getting written.
This dare was a great idea. I had a lot of trepidation about writing this book, and I'd probably still just be fiddling around with the start if I hadn't had this incentive to sit down and just get on with it.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 06:58 pm:   

Great news, KJ -- I'm so glad this has worked for everyone else! It's great having some sort of external motivation to write every day.

And for a reward, I plan on tracking down a copy of THE ETCHED CITY. I haven't gotten lost in a good book in a while, and this one comes highly recommended! :-)

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 08:03 pm:   

On the next to last day of the challenge... 3,000 words and a new story produced. I have no idea what my total wordage was, but there was forward progress on several fronts. So it's all good.
:-)

KJ Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 08:04 pm:   

Hoop-la! Thank you very much, Mike!!

mark siegel
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:10 pm:   

thanks mike,& sayonara darefolk.
since i finished the novel i was working on the other day, i've been rewriting one of my oldest unpublished sf things, a 160k novel; it started as a parody of japanese sf tv (i wrote it while i was living in osaka in the early 80s); it was considered too weird by american publishers in the 80s, then the power rangers came out, and everybody said, we'll get sued by the power rangers if we do this (which was bullshit, but what can you tell an editor when you're only a lawyer?). i pulled it out the other day and was pretty impressed with myself -- or not. i thought i'd grown by leaps and bounds over the past 20 years, but this thing still looks as good to me now as anything i've done since. SO i figured I'd at least try to chop out a piece to send to one of those monster ezines -- except i'm having a hell of a time coming up with less than 50,000 must-read words. anyone have any market ideas? or should i just wait for my inevitable fame to catch up with me, and then cash in big on the novel?

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:54 pm:   

Mark -- I think you'd have better luck selling it as a novel than a story. But that's just me. Front-load that sucker, make the first chapters so irresistable that the editors and agents are banging on your Power Ranger door for more.

Very cool -- hope it flies.

I'll be starting a new topic for the month of May, or, as I call it -- The Month of Revision and Two, Maybe Three New Stories.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:58 pm:   

May's misadventures start here: http://www.nightshadebooks.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=326&post=6942#POST694 2

Peg Duthie
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 08:31 pm:   

"darefolk"? I love it.

Made a special effort this afternoon, resulting in 1081 words and an almost finished story.

Turns out I mistotaled my earlier efforts, so total Dare wordage comes to around 5100 rather than 6000, but I also wrote a couple of micro-stories and four poems that I didn't count in the total, so I'm going to call it a good month. It's certainly more than I would have managed left to my own devices. Thanks for the friendly push, Mike.

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:49 pm:   

5{The ringleader does good.

"darefolk" and "rough as guts". Nice!

Okay, I didn't finish my novel (I think I spin around a bit more when I'm concentrating on words instead of story), but I'm closing in on it. 1500+ words a day for a total of 45,844 for the month. A third of that was added for this dare. So thank ye, Mike.

Take care and happy writing, folks.
Melissa

Mike
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 06:36 am:   

Nice work everyone -- I love seeing all those zeroes in your word count (and I don't mean at the beginning of the number, either!).

Hope everyone keeps on writing. I'm already looking at a couple story ideas and gathering stuff for the next novel.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration