April Dare -- 45,000 words or die trying Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Jasper, Michael » April Dare -- 45,000 words or die trying « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 01:23 pm:   

Okay, it's April, and I'm tired of messing around with this novel! I've got 30,000 words written, and I need 45k, so I'm doing a Dare.

That's 1,500 words a day for the month of April.

If you'd like to join me, feel free to post your wordcounts and progress here or in my journal's Comments area for that day.

Join the madness. Write a shitty first draft!

Greg van Eekhout
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 03:26 pm:   

Good goal, Mike.

But don't die, man! Think of your wife! Think of your cats! Think of your beer! It's just art, man!

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 05:19 pm:   

Oooh. Beer...

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 07:28 pm:   

2,000 words today. Not bad. Need a beer. Or sleep. Whichever comes first.

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 04:31 am:   

Good boy. I did 2,000 yesterday too. About 2k the day before and 4k the day before that. I'm on a self-imposed (and slavedriver encouraged) rate that just about matches yours. I've got a spreadsheet set up for daily wordcount and the required daily average that results. My trick is to try and get the required wordcount for the next day down below the one for the previous day. Race you, Jasper, you bastard.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 07:56 am:   

You're on, Caseberg/Hartley!

And I didn't even count the 500 words I added to a story I was asked to rewrite for a certain HWA antho...

Is this for the Wyrmhole sequel?

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:47 am:   

No this is The Other Novel I'm working on. It's called THE EMPTIES. Oh and the WYRMHOLE sequel now has a title. It's called METAL SKY.

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 02:09 pm:   

Right, Jasper.

Daily total -- 3,100. Enough for today.

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 06:55 pm:   

Jay C -- ya show off! Only 1,800 words today, but I also revamped two stories and submitted four stories total. Gotta count for something, right?

The Empties -- sounds cool. Horror? Any details to share?

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 09:38 pm:   

Okay, I'm joining in the fray.

Honestly, 1000 words a day seemed like enough to me, but since you dared me, I wrote 1539 yesterday and 1516 today. Grr. I mean, thanks, but I didn't get any studying done today. Not to mention my stories that still have to go out. I guess that's what tomorrow's for. :-)

Melissa
Now listening to: I'm With You, Avril Lavigne.

Jay C
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 01:56 am:   

Mike, hmm, yeah, not quite horror. More like mainstream lit in which weird shit happens. There's a tie in to the Neitzschian idea that modern society reduces our capacity to think and feel.

I'm waiting until an appropriate break to sub the three stories I currently have on hand -- oh wait, haven't checked the mail yet today.

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 08:46 am:   

1522. So far, I'm managing the 1500 on my novel. Today, while listening to Sarah McLaughlin's Fumbling Toward Ecstasy (I'm enjoying Mike's habit of posting my music. Soon, I'll be sucked into the mood-o-meter).

Also, a lightning reject from "Flesh and Blood". Two days. Is that a record?

Melissa

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 10:18 am:   

Great work, Melissa! And excellent choice in music. I can listen to her stuff over and over again and not get tired of it, especially the older albums. Her first one ("Touch") sounds just like Kate Bush.

Jay -- I think I remember you talking about that novel on our drive from Portland to Lincoln City. And I think I remember you chatting about that wormhole story as well... Very cool.

Speaking of subs -- got a rejection from CENTURY in the mail yesterday. From about 9 months ago!

Leslie Claire Walker
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 11:12 am:   

Hey guys -

1,500 yesterday, split pretty evenly between Souls and redraft of a short story (Rebuilt, which Melissa prolly recognizes). Got a slow start this morning (250, sheesh) which could have something to do with the whole being up past Midnight problem last night. Ah, well. Break at work now, so back to the wordage races. Now playing: nothing. Was playing: Buffy. On FX, Season 6's "Two to Go." Note to self: While writing on laptop and eating breakfast, avoid watching Willow skin Warren alive. It's ever so much more appetizing that way.

Mike
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   

All right Les! Great to hear the numbers rolling for ya.

But I just don't get the Buffy stuff. Never made it through an episode of the show.

But that's just me -- I'm from the Kill-Your-Television school of thought... ;)

mark
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   

ok, i'm moving my remarks over here.
4/1
ok, started the dare. i'm working on an alternative history sf, set in 1946 in LA. about 100 pages into it. idea came out of our wotf 2000 time, so a bunch of scenes are set at Musso & Frank. l. ron is a character, as are a bunch of people who lived in this weird-ass house with him out in pasadena, especially a reorter named himmel. ray chandler and alan ladd are two other main characters. what's happened, writing wise, is that, after 100 pages, i'm confronting the fact that, ok, this is about the japanese using dragons to get revenge on the U.S. after WWII, duh, what could be more obvious, but the characters are going to make the story. i've finally gotten into ladd. chandler is a challenge, of course, since i'm going to have to do more with his particular style, but i'm not serious if i don't know everyone really well, and this story has a lot of characters.

4/2

did 1,000 words on the Dragon novel today, nearly all dialogue. interesting problem (for me, anyway) of trying to create sympathy for a physically unattractive character who has a crush on a bimbo. i always tend to ridicule physically unattractive characters, even when i like them myself. is this a problem all studmuffins like you and me have?

4/3
the only times i usually get to write are early in the morning or late at night, because my day job is pretty consuming (and i work out at lunch, trying to inhibit the spirit of marlon brando that seems to have lodged in my body). frenchy, the 80 year old i adopted after he was a charcter in my _Rocky Point_ book, has been staying at my house, and i had to take him to the hospital early this morning. was in court all work morning. am supposed to play baseball tonight, but hopefully will parlay my injuries into another week off and will crack off another thousand on Dragon. now that my characters are making more sense to me and i more or less know the story.

Jay C
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 03:11 pm:   

Okay, Jasper, you bastard. 2,600 for me today. A short day as I also printed out the first fifteen chapters and sent them to someone to read as well as tweaking and sending off a couple of stories.

I have about 30 albums downloaded to my laptop and I've built a playlist of favourites out of it which I sit on shuffle and work with the headphones on. I find I'm most productive that way. There's probably about seven or so hours of music on my playlist and the familiarity of the pieces keeps an energy and flow going without making it that I have to concentrate on the songs. Still, my brain is mush about now, and I have achieved enough.

Yeah, we probably did discuss the current book. It started life as a short story.

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 04:28 pm:   

I hate all of you. 1,000 a day for me is an impressive output.

Unless I can count the wordage I do on revision letters for other people? And memos? Do they count?

(Hi, Mike!)

Mike
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 04:36 pm:   

Mark -- your regular life is more interesting than fiction, dude! But not YOUR fiction, 'course. And I thought you totally injured yourself the last time you played ball!

James -- I'm curious about what albums you listen to. Do you change music depending on the project? I usually play Pearl Jam and Everclear and the like when banging out a draft -- nothing better than early 90s grunge!

Laura Anne -- Hey! Good to see ya! Feel free to list your wordage here. I'm more interested in getting people to write every day and meet a certain wordage than to hit 5,000 words every day. Even 200 words a day is excellent progress. But, um, memos don't count! ;)

Jay C
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 05:01 pm:   

Let's see -- lots of Moloko, just added the White Stripes, stacks of Depeche, New Order, Bowie, Patti Smith, Lou Reed, Neil Young, Stones, Simple Minds, The Ig, Nirvana, stacks of Radiohead, Roxy Music, Beatles, have to repurchase Portishead and download that again soon.

Mike
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 06:59 pm:   

Oy, the words, they came not so easily tonight. But I managed to put together most of a scene of my two main characters, Ella and Mitch, talking about ghosts and shipwrecks and drinking beer, lots of good character moments, so that was fun.

Probably would've got more done, but I had to get a story ready to send out again after another rejection -- I think that's 5 for this week, though I do have one acceptance (to be named later, once I'm done revising) to show for this hectic week as well.

I'm feeling good about the progress of the novel. I think it's a good idea to write a novel fairly quickly, same as a story, to keep the ideas fresh. I plan on finishing up my remaining other story/screenplay projects this weekend, so I can focus totally on the novel for the rest of the month (yeah, I know I've said that before...).

Hey, check out my wordage for the year -- cracked 50,000 words tonight! I'm up to 51k. Woo hoo!!! Later...

Peg Duthie
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 11:20 pm:   

293 words tonight, although I'm pretty sure I'll be cutting at least 50 of those tomorrow.

Hamsters have just been served supper. Need to get Hamsters drinking beer.

(Laura Anne, it's rare for me to string together 1,000 words in publishable sequence within a _month_, never mind a day. So I figured 200/night would be challenging yet realistic - I'm hoping to end up with a short-story draft or three.)

Jay C
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 11:06 am:   

Okay, Jasper -- eat this...

8,000 words today.

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 11:46 am:   

Dude, that's not cool. Wait 'til the weekend, all I can say.

Jay C
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 11:59 am:   

Mike, you remember how to do it. Remember those sessions in Lincoln City?

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 01:17 pm:   

Oh yeah, and the lack of sleep that went with it. Didn't you do all your writing at the kitchen table there?

Jay C
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 01:25 pm:   

I surely did. Sleep is for wim.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 07:18 pm:   

Jay C, 8,000 words? I think I hate you and I don't even know you.

gabe
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 08:21 pm:   

Oh boy. I'm sorry I even looked at this thread....

1164 words today. And that was an impressive amount.

Bugger off, all of you.

--gabe

Jay C
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 01:12 am:   

Maureen, I love to be hated. Won't be nearly so much today. I sat down and decided I would push for what I could.

Mike
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 03:59 am:   

Nice work, Gabe! Glad to see you here.

And Maureen, Jay LOVES to be hated. That's his secret!

Me, I hit the ol' goose egg yesterday -- nothing written. I'll be making up for it today!

mark siegel
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 07:14 am:   

i also flushed yesterday; discovered thursday night i was supposed to be in tucson at 8 a.m., so got up at 5:30, drove 150 miles, sat in a seminar for 9 hours (reading de Lint's Onion Girl with my left eye), drove back up to scottsdale to a party being given for me, got really drunk (even for me -- the Dewars guy, wearing kilt, big black bushy hat, etc., he fell down after about 8 shots), my wife showed up before i could be taken off to the strip club (the hazards of partying near nordstroms) and drove me home, where i laid down under frenchy's truck with a mechanic friend who fixed his power steering leak, which, i'm hoping will in some magic way fix his intestinal leak so he can get out of the hospital and back to mexico. when max wakes up, i have to go back out to scottsdale to pick up my car, then come back here and write 2,000 words. i plan to kill off l. ron hubbard in the scene i'm doing today.

Mike
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:12 am:   

Mark -- feel free to send me chapters of your novel when it's ready to be critiqued! I want to see l-ron go DOWN!!! Seriously, I'd be happy to read it for ya.

What do you think of de Lint's Onion Girl? I tried reading Forests of the Heart and found it a bit dull, sorta flabby. But I WANT to like his stuff. Newford's a cool place.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:13 am:   

oh yeah -- writing progress -- 1,500 on the nose today, finishing up chapter 12. Also did some planning and outline-tweaking for upcoming chapters, so I'm set up nicely to jam in the coming week.

Also, my colloborator Aaron and I finished up the SF screenplay! I sent it out this morning, and man, it turned out amazingly well. I have high hopes for it, and as an extra added bonus I got to learn a lot about screenplay format. So look for the short film "The Last Jack" coming to a screen near you. We hope.

Jay C
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   

Daily total -- 4,240 and some hefty restructuring.

Laura Anne
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 02:42 pm:   

All right, here's my comparatively pitiful entry -- 2,100 words, to finish up a story I started a while ago and then dead-ended on. Although I do feel better when I remember that those 2,000+ words came in a little over two hours.

But now it's time to revise and polish, which is always a case of three words forward, two back....

And a reject ("nicely gritty but not for me") to send out again as well.

mark siegel
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 07:59 pm:   

did about 3k today. if i have a chance to revise a bit tomorrow and it seems ok, i'll post the first 150 pages or so, but i've just been blasting and am afraid to look back at just how bad (uh, i mean "rough") it may be.
beth orton. nora jones.

gabe
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:04 pm:   

53 words.

As I said on my blog, I'm beginning to feel like Flaubert.

--gabe

Peg
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 12:21 am:   

Friday night: felt like writing a rondel instead.

Tonight: cut the 50 mentioned earlier and added 702 net. Very bad basic dialogue that will have to be rewritten and expanded sometime other than 2-- that is, *3*:14 a.m., but it's still progress: the plot lurched forward, I inadvertently discovered the religious affiliation of one of the characters . . .

. . .and I realized that it's going to be a good story, but not appropriate for the anthology to which I'd planned to submit it. Foot.

(It's okay, actually. I'll start story #2 tomorrow... )

Mike Jasper
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 01:37 pm:   

Damn -- awesome work, everyone! You've all inspired me to keep pushing myself. I don't want to come here with a goose egg again, and risk your derision and contempt! ;)

Me, I did 10 pages today. Yeehaw!

Made up for my lost time on Friday, and got back on schedule with flying colors. I'm in the middle of chapter 13, and I'm putting together all sorts of "ghost rules" for the spirits haunting Ocracoke Island.

Lots of fun. Keep up the good work, all!

Mike
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 01:37 pm:   

Oh, sorry -- 10 pages = 2,500 words. I'm right at 9,000 words for the month, right on track.

Niiice.

Jay C
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 03:09 pm:   

Daily total -- 2287 and some reviewing and some beta reading and some thinking. Not as much as I'd like but *shrug.* More tomorrow. Downhill strecth from here. Six chapters to write. One to finish.

Mike
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 04:49 pm:   

Nice work, Jay. That raises an interesting point -- how far people have to go on their novels.

I'm in the middle of chapter 13. I've outlined 22 chapters total, but that's flexible -- I ended up splitting the current chapter into 2 separate chapters.

So... 9 chapters to write, and one to finish.

This novel-writing thing doesn't seem so bad... At least today... ;)

Jay C
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 05:06 pm:   

I have 31 chapters. The ones I'm talking about are in the middle of the last third.

I've written the first 22, the last 2. Currently working on 25. I've written bits and pieces of some of the others.

mark siegel
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 06:09 pm:   

i spent the entire day, so far at least, revising the first half of my novel, 150 pages. I cut one chapter entirely, but the rest wasn't too bad, so I'll post it somewhere if anyone wants to read it. i have only a vague conception of the rest of the book, leading up to the big Hollywood finale I have in mind, but that's often how i work. even when i think i have an outline, i don't.

mark siegel
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 06:34 pm:   

you guys keep posting music. i usually don't listen to music (or anything else) when i write. i think i remember hearing nancy collins say she watched tv while she wrote. can't imagine even wanting to do that, much less how. i drink. different kinds of stories require different kinds of alcohol. Dragon is mostly detective, so it's whiskey, but it has a big oriental component, so i'm doing a lot of sake too.

Laura Anne
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 06:38 pm:   

I have no idea how many chapters the current novel-in-progress has. I knew when I outlined it, but several things have taken weird turns<tm> since then. With luck, I'll get back to it this week. 100 pages in and the action's about to kick into the next gear. Chaos! Riots! Squirrels!

But another 500 or so words on the new short story, plus or minus revisions. Not great, but the night is still young... well, okay, middle aged. I'm hoping to crack 1,000 before I remember tomorrow's a school day.

As to the music question, I tend to write in silence. Other peoples' lyrics distract me, unless they fit perfectly with the feel of the story (I've written a story to the Eagles' "Desperado," and one to Springsteen's "Atlantic City." Both stories sold rather quickly, too. Hrmmm....) Otherwise, lots of classical and jazz, with occasional breaks for some dance music to shake the brain up.

When I'm cruising on a novel, though, I play whatever's appropriate to the book, over and over and over again. Wrote the second Buffy novel to Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" on constant loop. I bet you could set some of the prose to it...

Peg Duthie
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 09:57 pm:   

Started story #2: 452 words.

Glared at story #1: added 10 words net.

Switched off the John Wesley Harding to write, but split a bottle of Belgian Cassis Ale with the spouse.

Melissa
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 11:17 pm:   

Wow, Mike, the volume has definitely pumped up since the last time I was here. Good idea!

We were at my parents' this weekend, so kind of an erratic output:

Friday 1507 (split pre-trip, driving, and after dinner)

Saturday 1520 (all 11:30 to after midnight, listening to the Police's greatest hits while my husband had the blanket over his head)

Today 1508 (after 1 a.m., ouch. You can tell I'm on vacation and the time has changed). Today, I wrote to silence. But I did get to watch the first four episodes of Buffy on our new DVD player, late Christmas present from my brother. Mike, I wasn't into Buffy before this year, but I definitely enjoy it. *Some* TV can be good for you! Can be a time sink, tho'.

I borrowed the Onion Girl and plan to read it this week. I'm still working on "Wicked", by Gregory Maguire, and various magazines.

The only problem with word output goals is that I'm writing for word count, not setting myself to defined chapters or goals. There'll be a lot of cutting. Ah, well.

Good work, all. Whether you're Flaubert or Jay Lake, who finished his novel this weekend, it's the writing that counts.
Melissa

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 07:17 am:   

Wow -- everyone's kicking major ass on the wordage, I must say, and I'm glad to see it.

I know I'm looking forward to the writing time tonight after work. Staying with the novel on a daily basis has really got me focused again.

Though I need to finish the rewrites on this story for the roach antho... soon! The rest of the ToC has been announced...!

Jay C
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 10:40 am:   

Okay, daily total -- 6,140

My brain is now mush, so I'd better not write any more.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 11:35 am:   

Jeez, Jay! You planning on being done by May or what? Major wordage -- congrats.

Just finished the rewrites to my horror story. Added about 500 words. Just need to do a final polish and then back to the editor it goes!

Jay C
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 11:59 am:   

Another story out. Good!

Yeah, actually planning to finish first draft this week if I can. Done 32k words this month. 14k to go, roughly, then it's the rewrites.

Melissa
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 01:36 pm:   

1639 words, listening to 10,000 Maniacs unplugged and a '90s mix, from "Barbie Girl" to "Standing by a broken phone booth with money in my hand".

Melissa

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 01:56 pm:   

Primitive Radio Gods! I love that song!

I need to do a mix tape of one-hit wonders like them. Keep up the wordage, Melissa!

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 05:33 pm:   

1,100 new wordage on the novel, plus assorted fiddling with the existing material. And a plot-thread that had been missing is now dealt with.

I hope to do the final revisions on the new SFnal story tonight before I collapse, but no bets being taken.

Oh, and soundtrack tonight was the Indigo Girls. Works surprisingly well with the material, so I may have to go out and complete my catalog of their work. Oh, the trauma, having to acquire more music...

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 05:42 pm:   

Argh -- story revisions strike! Fixed up one story and returned it to the editor at last, reformatted a story to email as a submission to another magazine, and got tons of feedback on a new story I hope to send out this week. And got news that another story may have sold.

All of which is great news, but adds up to zero on the novel. We'll see what we can do in an hour or 2 right now.

Laura Anne -- Try "Retrospective" by Indigo Girls -- a sort of greatest hits, all in one relatively cheap package...

Now, I must stop this cursed procrastinating...

mark siegel
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 06:01 pm:   

managed 2,000k today, despite being given tickets to bon jovi/googoo dolls for tonight. sad to report that l. ron hubbard has been rescued by a fishing trawler off Huntington Beach.

Laura Anne
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 06:11 pm:   

Mike -- I already have three of their albums, so I don't want too much overlap...

Putting together a shopping list as a way of procrastinating on the revisions. Maria Callas' La Divina II (damn you, Hartley), Spyro Gyra's "Original Cinema," Styx's "Cyclorama," Bon Jovi's "Bounce" and Indigo Girls' "Shaming of the Sun."

I've heard some Queens of the Stone Age I liked, but don't know much about them. Anyone?

Jay C
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 12:14 am:   

Oh yeah, Callas rocks. Well, actually she doesn't, but I'm quite prepared to take the blame.

KJ Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 01:29 am:   

Just found this thread! Maybe it's a thing going round, but I'd also promised myself to do 1500 a day this month, on the four days each week I set aside for the current main project. This is the first draft of my second book, which for the last couple of months has existed as 30,000 words of sullenly glaring notes. Done 1836 words today. Listening to Harold Budd. I keep him on pretty much constant rotation while I'm writing. For a break I sometime switch to Andreas Vollenweider's 'Book of Roses' - very nice, but not as trance-inducing as Budd.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 06:14 am:   

The current QOTSA (that's Queens of the Stone Age) album "Songs for the Deaf" is their strongest yet. If you've heard "No One Knows" on the radio and like that, you should like the rest of the album. They've made three so far: "Queens of the Stone Age," "Rated R," and "Songs for the Deaf." I like them all, but they are definitely finding their path as the make more music. The first album is a bit wandery. Also, with this latest album they finally get a real drummer (Dave Groehl of the Foo Fighters, formerly of Nirvana) so the songs really pop and sizzle.

I won't address the fact that someone who likes a band the caliber of Bon Jovi is so ready to diss someone who drinks Cosmos.

JK

PS-Not being from NJ, I assume some of the love towards Bon Jovi is like Wisconsin's love towards Steve Miller ("Fly Like an Eagle" & "Jungle Love"), which I don't quite understand either. I think Bon Jovi reminds me too much of my glam metal fan days in high school and the piles of vinyl wasting in my basement.

PPS-500 words on a story.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 07:00 am:   

Welcome, John and KJ! Great to have you. Though I dunno about those Queens of the Stone Age -- the song I've heard by them I thought was a '70s song for the longest time. They sound like ... some band I can't place.

I was gonna make a Bon Jovi crack, but you beat me to it, John.

I've been listening to Pearl Jam non-stop while I write in preparation for their concert here in Raleigh a week from today.

So far today I revised a story collaboration and hope to make notes on the novel. No wordage to speak of today, and a palty 200 words on the novel last night. I'm slack.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 07:13 am:   

I should really talk, I just bought the new Robbie Williams album....

I'm working on...let me check...10 story submissions. My progress will be intermittent at best since there will be many revisions. And a zine to edit.

Music-wise, I'm everywhere from Barenaked Ladies to Korn to Norah Jones to QOTSA to Miles Davis to Broadway musicals. It depends on what I feel like. QOTSA are pretty steady for me, as are Soul Coughing, Faith No More, Rollins Band, Barenaked Ladies, and Charlie Hunter.

I've been getting into stuff like Telepopmusik and Massive Attack lately. I know this is mostly off-topic, but any recs for music like them?

JK

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 07:14 am:   

I'm going to ignore all the slams on Bon Jovi and, out of courtesy for the host, not make any comments about how pretentious so-called "grunge" has gotten. <g>

(and 'glam?" Bon Jovi was a hair band back in the bad old 80's, but that's really not the same thing as glam at all...)

Besides, I take pleasure in an eclectic playlist. Keeps me from getting stuck in a rut.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   

Man, I thought I had some eclectic taste in music -- y'all are putting me to shame. I just need a good beat in the background to get the fingers tapping.

Grunge pretentious? No way! Okay, so maybe Eddie Vedder's a bit stuck on himself. I'll admit it.

I've been getting into jazz vocalists lately. But it seems to be too distracting to write by.

Jay C
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   

Daily total -- 3,283 words. Been wrestling with a difficult chapter, but I think I got beaten into shape.

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 03:30 pm:   

Hey! I'm happy about the music thread.

I'm listening to Saffire, the Uppity Blues Women--great stuff. And I like Bon Jovi, Norah Jones, and the Barenaked Ladies, not in that order. My music taste is definitely eclectic. One of the guys in Oregon, who could hear me through the wall, asked for a playlist because he couldn't believe all the stuff I listen to.

Anyhoo, 1516 today. I'm closing in on tying in the new stuff to the stuff I wrote before I went to Oregon. Hoorah.

Mark, how was your concert? I'm sure Elron will be back for more. Btw, is it a legal problem to use real people?
Mike, enjoy Pearl Jam. Congrats on your sales/in the process work. You've created a monster of productivity in this group. Thanks for starting us off. I have to thank you for an extra 500 words/day so far.

Melissa

Night Shade Books
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 04:42 pm:   

I am *SO* fucking glad I'm not a writer. 500/1500/2000/8000 words a day? It takes me all day to write 100 words for flap copy, and I usually end up paying someone else to do it.

Erm... (looks around for something comparable)... Did corrections for 215,000 words of Hodgson today? Don't know if that counts.

Jason

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 05:43 pm:   

Ah, it's all relative, Jason! Sort of like jogging -- you start with the short distances and work your way up to a marathon.

or so I've heard. I don't go in for all that puffing and sweating crap... ;)

215,000 words is nothing to sneeze at, man!

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 06:42 pm:   

Hey, if he gets to count that, I should be able to count the ten pages (single spaced) of revision notes I did today! (and hey, Jason, I write some killer flap copy. And I work relatively cheap, too...)

Other than that, only about 750 words on the novel. But the new SFnal short story is revised, polished, and ready to go out tomorrow. Not too bad for a full day in the office.

soundtrack: Michael Amante, Puccini's "Turandot"

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 07:21 pm:   

NO PROGRESS TODAY!

Well, not on the novel, that is. I did revise a story that's ready to go out after one more read-through, printed out a novellette that's also going out soon, and got word that my story "Riverrun Alley" was accepted at MarsDust, and my "Black Angels" will be in the Cock-Roach-Suckers antho of the HWA.

I am pleased.

But tomorrow, now that all these frickin' stories are done, I go back to being a productive writer again. :-)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 08:00 pm:   

600 words on a story and I feel like I'm less than 500 from the end. Want to get it done, but got sucked into a publishing lunch with Tor folk. Surprisingly <wink*wink> lunch took longer than I expected.

Today was Robbie Williams "Escapology."

JK

Peg Duthie
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 10:23 pm:   

Monday: wrote a poem. (A nice one, I think, but I'm not counting it in the Dare, since I'm in this to get myself to finish stories.)

Tonight: 333 words added to story #2. Have a feeling I'll have to cut at least half, but hey, at least I tried.

(Hey Jason, I used to be paid $5 in book credit per blurb. Ages ago. What's the going rate now?)

No music on at the moment, but dancing to Dee-Lite earlier did help clear the cobwebs out of the brain. Intoxicant tally: one glass of cabernet with the pizza, one glass of Rosemount riesling with the flan.

Hearty congratulations, Mike. :-)

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 08:39 am:   

Peg -- I may have to dig up some "Groove is in the Heart" to get me back on track with my current novel! Just did some checking, and realized I need to do 4,500 words today to get back on schedule -- tomorrow is 15,000-word day (1/3 of the way already!).

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:59 pm:   

Well, I did 300 words today at work during a lull, and even spell-checked the whole document, all 161 pages of it.

Just realized I'm over the halfway point already. Cooool.

4,200 words to go before I rest.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:08 pm:   

1,000 words today (twice as much as I thought I needed). Good thing subscription renewal programs take a long time to run. Story is done and ready to be edited, then off to TRUNK STORIES.

JK

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:24 pm:   

Daily total 6,120 and I have a first cut near as dammit.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now on to the fine tuning and the commentary graciously supplied by my glorious betas.

Laura Anne
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 06:30 pm:   

Only about 500 words of dialogue and character notes to report, but I have an excuse. New laptop arrived today, to replace the one that was stolen. Geeky glee as I fiddle and adjust and play with the cheapie digital camera they included...

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:24 pm:   

The words came pretty easily tonight, as the plot thickened and a certain ghost came a-calling, in my best cliffhanger chapter ending so far. This is getting fun. I made up for yesterday's lack of words, and I'm almost back on track, which is nice.

The goal is to hit 50k on the novel wordage by the end of the coming weekend. Right now I'm at 41k, so that should be no problem. So far this month I've written 12,000 words. Cool!

Listened to Del Amitri and Big Head Todd & the Monsters

John -- excellent progress. I think TRUNK STORIES would be a good name for a short story collection. ;)

Jay -- way to go, dude! How long did it take you to jam that novel out?

Laura Anne -- your laptop CAME with a digital camera? How cool is that???

Peg
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 11:08 pm:   

Another "at least I tried" night. :-/ 427 gross.

KJ Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 11:38 pm:   

2087 today. I always run out of puff around the 2000 mark, for some reason. But it used to be the 1000 mark, so I guess things are slowly improving.
This really is a shitty first draft... I've never done this before. I've always sat and agonised over small things as I wrote. Now that I've committed to posting a daily word total, I'm finally letting myself write the first draft badly. It's absolutely liberating...
Wrote in dead silence today, with earplugs and earmuffs on to shut out the 'puter's fan noise.

Jay C
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 02:35 am:   

Mike, I had a proportion done -- about 35K, but I looked at the totals last night and since 28 March I wrote 48k words.

Mike
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 03:47 am:   

Hey Peg -- that's 427 words that never existed before last night. Nothing to sneeze at!

KJ -- I've noticed the same increase in speed myself! It's like we writers sabotage ourselves, thinking it's BAD to write fast. Sure, there may be typos and the occasional inconsistency, but it's much easier to edit something once it's written than something that ain't there.

But you must have one loud computer fan...!

Jay -- 48k in the past 2 weeks? I thought I was doing great with my 12k. I believe I hate you now.

Jay C
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 05:05 am:   

Ah good! <g>

Laura Anne
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 06:13 am:   

Mike --

well, Dell had an offer where you could get $$ off a bunch of accessories I didn't want/need... or a free digital camera. It's a PoS, but it amuses me. I'm a traditional film-type anyway -- digital's fine but the real art is in getting the photograph to look the way you want it to via eye and hand, not tech.

And while I can't add to the word total of last night, I did run off some floor plans of the major buildings in the novel, so I can correct any blocking mistakes I may have written. Always important to keep in mind that the great hall leads both into the kitchen and the reception area, but _not_ the dining area...

Mike
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 09:41 am:   

It took me half a minute to figure out what a "PoS" was! I thought it was a type of camera at first.

Which, in a way, it is, of course... ;)

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 03:17 pm:   

1585 yesterday, to the Barenaked Ladies.

1606 today, to my "Mostly '80s" tape--Great Big Sea, "Eternal Flame", "Tubthumping"...good stuff.

I'm linking it to my pre-Oregon stuff. This means deleting. Shucks.

I also worked on my janitor story today.

I am totally embarrassed that I got a rejection today from Weird Tales. Apparantly, I sent them the same story twice. Whoops. Happily, it's already been sent out again.

Mike
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 03:48 pm:   

Melissa -- "Eternal Flame"? Ow. ;)

Hey, when's your story coming out in Weird Tales?

I'm feeling very lazy and unproductive tonight. Help!

KJ Bishop
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 10:29 pm:   

Not in the mood today, but did 1942 anyway. Now I have to go and do some real work...
Mike: yeah, my fan and hard drive are both really loud. Stu and I are mulling over whether to try to upgrade this machine or go the whole hog on a new one.

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 03:38 am:   

No new words - brain was dead. I knew the office would catch up with me... :-(

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 04:21 am:   

"... This must be Thursday, I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Damn Thursday. Didn't get any writing done, and was too brain-fried and eyeball-fried to sit at the computer at all after work, so I got out my Fellowshop of the Ring DVD and watched my favorite parts.

I love when Boromir comes back to save Merry and Pippin. I think he makes up for attacking Frodo, more or less, huh? And the fight between Gandalf and Saruman -- that was cool.

Tried watching it with the director and writers talking in the background, but it was too annoying.

This weekend, I write.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:06 am:   

Got 200 done in the revision of my story for TRUNK STORIES and 200 done for a story that I want to send to INTRACITIES; there's a guy who lives near me who has an overabundance of lawn decorations (like, scores of them). Robbie Williams again. (Can you guess what CD I just bought?)

JK

mark siegel
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:28 am:   

one disaster after another. wrecked again playing baseball tuesday night. very weird injury: torn the protective covering in my thigh that covers all the muscles and tendons, so they started to leak out, forming a giant subcutaneous water balloon. then, weds night, my computer crashed. bought a new one today -- which finally, at 10:30 pm, is installed. but i lost all my old email "favorites", and i forgot where we're doing the dare (nightshades? underside? undershades?). i was sure i'd get a ton of writing done, because my wife's in vegas, but have zero to show for it -- and she just called and i have to fly out there tomorrow, which means the weekend's shot too.
and frenchy, the old guy from rocky point i've sort of adopted, has now been at my house now for 2 weeks because his car keeps breaking down, and my mechanic, the Mysterious Gary, who's usually great, can't get it fixed. gary does not answer his phone or come to his door, ever, but you leave a message on his answering machine and he will come to your house in the middle of the night and fix your car if you leave the keys on the front right tire. this can be great, except when you need to actually talk to him because it's not working. if i want to talk to him i will have to sleep in the front seat, and then he still might fix it without waking me.
and then there's the retarded owls that live in my palm trees. we've had horned owls living up there for 10 years or more, and one returns each winter to lay eggs and raise a couple winged brats, but last year, because of something in the water, or the mice or whatever, the resident mother had at least 5 babies and couldn't take care of all of them properly, so when they got to be about 18 inches high and had most of their feathers and weren't getting enough food, they got a little too anxious to get out of their nest and started crashing into my beach umbrella in the back yard. or the dogs would be barking at 3 am, and i'd go out there and there'd be this thing with two nasty yellow eyes and a five foot wing span trying to pretend it weighed more than 5 pounds. some of them survived, and at least one is having the babies this year, and now they're all stupid, falling out of the trees, into my hot tub, etc. and the dogs won't shut up, and i don't want to just let them die, but they won't eat hot dogs, unless maybe i put 'em on fishing line and drag them along the ground so they look alive. plus just with all the time it takes me to complain about all this stuff, i'm not getting much writing done the last few days.

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:36 am:   

Mark --

buy some lab mice. Conk them over then head slightly until stunned (drugs are a bad idea if the owls are as loopy as you say). Leave them out on a grass-covered riser or plate around dusk for the owls. Works like a charm, although you may have some trouble with snakes, depending on where you are.

It scares me that I know this.

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:39 am:   

Mark, I'd claim you were making most of this shit up, but I know you too well.

Autobiography, man. Non-fiction's where the money is.

JeffV
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 10:38 am:   

Sunday night: 5,000 words
Monday night: 5,000 words
Tuesday night: 3,000 words
Wednesday night: 2,000 words
Thursday night: zippo
Friday (today): 2,000 thus far

Of course, this comes after almost a year hiatus from working on this novel, Shriek: An Afterword, so the floodgates have opened.

JeffV

Jay C
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 10:44 am:   

Good pace, Jeff. Nice.

Myself, about 1640 words in revision mode. Yesterday was a day off.

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 11:18 am:   

Hi Jeff! Welcome to the funhouse. And yeah, you're setting a blistering pace.

It's funny how a couple of us didn't get anything done yesterday. Thursdays are rough. Today I've done 400 words at work, always a fun challenge...

Jay took the day off? I don't believe it. Not that you don't deserve it, ya bastard. ;)

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 11:54 am:   

I wrote a press release for the first volume of the William Hope Hodgson series. Does that count? About 500 words yesterday, if you include an email to the UC Riverside library, which apparently got me an honorary PHD...

"Dear Dr. Lassen..."

was their reply.

-jl

Laura Anne
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   

750 words and a new scene squared away, over lunch.

Out of necessity I'm a burst writer -- meetings, commuting time, sitting in the green room at a convention... I can do more in twenty minutes of inspiration than an entire day of planning, because that much time free unnerves me. And yet I'm a very, hrm, careful writer, for lack of a better term. Deleting a scene once it's written is unuusal for me.

Anyone else here write best in fast doses?

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 01:14 pm:   

Had some time today at work to get some drafting done, luckily. 1700 words all told, brining me up to 14,000 words on the month (only 2,500 off-pace).

I guess taking a break last night wasn't such a bad thing after all.

I guess I'm sort of a burst writer, Laura, though I prefer doing the bursts at a scheduled time. I always feel guilty writing fiction at work, though since I'm in front of a computer all damn day, it LOOKS like I'm working on job stuff...

I've gotten into the bad (or good, depending on your PoV) habit of keeping a Word file with the latest novel or story open at all times while at work.

And I'd HATE to ever delete a scene. Shudder...

Hi Jeremy! I've heard those PhDs are easy to come by these days! ;)

Mike
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 01:15 pm:   

Whoops -- sorry to chop your name in half, Laura Anne. Hit Post too quickly...

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:08 pm:   

Hey. Eternal Flame is a *great* song, Mike.
I'm not sure when Weird Tales is publishing my story, but Andromeda is doing it as we speak, I think.

Mark, I love hearing your stories. You have such a colourful life. Beats my "I did yoga and went to the library and bought French pastries" story. I think owls are adorable. 'Course, they're not dive-bombing my hot tub. But they are a vital part of the ecosystem.

Yeah, I'm not happy on the writing front either. I'm still pumping out 1500 words, but I haven't managed to get all my short stories revised and out in my week off. I did work on my janitor story again. But I also have to study and set up work for the summer months. Blah.

Anyhoo: 1570 today, to silence. But I listened to Avril Lavigne on my errands, with great pleasure.

Melissa

Greg van Eekhout
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:30 pm:   

Mark, doesn't the law firm you work for have an owl as its animal totem? Or is it an eagle? Or do you work for the one with the wolf? Or does your firm not have an animal totem? Or maybe you don't work for a law firm at all? What's the deal here?

JeffV
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 11:12 am:   

4,556 words today thus far. about 2,000 of that was revision. I'm actually kind of stoked about this challenge.

Nice pace yourself, Mr. Caselberg!

Jeff

Mike
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 02:03 pm:   

2,500 words today, despite being VERY distractable...

In other news, the weather is fan-frickin'-tastic here in Raleigh. Beautiful, and surprisingly pollen-free. A week of rain will do that for ya.

Tonight, burgers on the grill and lounging on the back deck. That's about as ambitious as we'll be able to get, I'm afraid. I'm already winding down, and we still need to get to the grocery store for supplies.

Tomorrow I hope to hit 50k in the novel!!!

Peg
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 01:44 am:   

500+ tonight! Wrote 297 for a mini-story and added 210-ish to the main story. (Also axed most of a page, so technically it's a net loss, but the hell with technicalities tonight.)

Laura Anne
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 03:37 pm:   

Only about 500 or so real 'new' wordage on the novel for the weekend, but some major cutting and repasting as I rework the order of several chapters. So I'm not displeased.

And, after accepting that a story idea just wan't going to pan out in time for a submission deadline, I turned to another idea and *bam* the characters started talking. Heaps of dialogue. And suddenly I realize that this story could work for that submission, too. I love it when a plot comes together.

And I downloaded half a dozen cds into the new laptop. :-) "Beyond the Lion & The Unicorn" by Michael Hromek, "Touch" by John Kemmer, "Night Walk" by Rick Braun, "Portishead" by Portishead, "Hold Out" by Jackson Brown, and "Greatest Hit(s)" by Jimmy Buffett. Eclectic r us.

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 07:45 pm:   

1513 for both weekend days. I was listening to "Jazzbeat" on the radio, but now it's weird electronic music.

Erk, work tomorrow.

Melissa

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 06:44 am:   

Argh, I'm behind and fading fast. Too much running around yesterday, not enough writing time. Maybe I'll get some writing done over the "lunch break" at work...

If you're doing the 1500 words a day dare, tomorrow's the halfway point -- 22,500 words.

I'm "pausing" at 16,500 words thus far in April.

Must... write... faster...

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 07:55 am:   

Even though I'm not officially doing the dare, I thought I'd chime in today, since I got a prodigious amount of writing done this weekend: 800 words on Thursday, 800 on Friday, 1700 on Sunday. My novel is now up to a respectable 9200 words with a prelude and two complete chapters. Forward momentum is nice...

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 08:09 am:   

Cool! Keep it up, Jason!

JeffV
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 09:31 am:   

2,600 words on Sunday.
1,980 words so far today (on lunch break)

I believe I'm somewhere close to 25,000 for the last 10 days, perhaps more.

I plan to keep rolling forward tonight.

JeffV

John Klima
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 11:22 am:   

1100 words to finish my Intracities submission today. Which puts it at 2600. But it needs an edit, which should bring it back into the guideline length.

Mike, I know what you mean about writing at work. It looks like work, but wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny. But it's handy to keep open (I do development and QA testing on publishing software) so during lulls while programs compile and process I can jot down some thoughts. And then I'm all ready for when lunch comes around to type type type.

JK

Mike
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 11:34 am:   

Following John and Jeff's lunchtime leads, I did my 1,500 words on a (slightly-extended) lunch break. Whew. Missed out on the writing yesterday, but had fun with today's scene.

And I have MORE time to write tonight.

Looking forward to your tale, John!

Melissa Yuan-Innes
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 09:20 pm:   

Hey Mike, sounds like you're getting the groove. 1512 for me. "Bloomington" by Branford Marsalis and "After Hours", a jazz program.

I find that it feels like I'm spinning my wheels for a while, but then it gets better.

I finished "The Onion Girl". Pretty good.

I tried to vote today. I wasn't on the list of voters, but Matt was. Good-bye to the PQ!
For those of you who don't follow Quebec politics, that means good-bye to separatist mismanagement. At least for the next few years.

Melissa

KJ Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 01:24 am:   

Weekend: a paltry 366 (I rarely get much writing done from Sat thru Mon; I like to laze a bit on weekends, and Mondays are busy).
But made up for it with 2991 today. And not even particularly badly written. 16,691 midmonth total.
Listening to, ahem, Rick Wakeman's 'Country Airs'. I promise I listen to stuff with more balls when I'm not writing.

mark siegel
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 09:54 am:   

hey, i'm finally back after disasters plus a weekend in vegas, where i was twice pronounced dead after prolonged buffet action. (ok, THAT i made up.) saw Mystere (Circe de soile) which was incredible, and a Second City show, which was amusing. found a very expensive single malt scotch that i didn't like; aberlarhd, 120 proof, tastes like whiskey but without the smokey quality i like in bourbon. so if anyone wants to come down here and drink it for me.... killed sunday fighting with my wife, to the extent that we paid the airlines $100 bucks to take us home earlier than scheduled. no sign of the owl, but Frenchie was still there when i got home. he's supposedly leaving today, but is due back friday, and carole woke me up at 3 a.m. to scream at me about that. like taxes weren't a big enough hastle last night.
thanks for the stunned mice suggestion, laura ann, but my dogs would get them. ( a stunned mouse is about their speed; they could surround it and bark it to death.)
i know i'm a week late with the bon jovi comments, but i saw him last week, and understand the "glam" confusion. i understand glam to be like freddy mercury and other people who prance around on 18 inch platform shoes with goldfish in the heels. (i'm secure in this knowledge thanks to a great rockumentary book called "Please Kill Me.") bon jovi is still a pretty boy, however. works out a lot and has the best plastic surgeon in the country and all his songs from the past decade sound the same. i loved the googoos, but left after the first 5 jovi tunes, 3 of which were classics the audience sang for him. foo fighters were here last night....
oh, yeah, writing. wasted 1,500 words yesterday on a story i may never finish, because the premise (scientist can alter small elements of memories globally, so he becomes a high school hero in retrospect) seems stupid and trivial now that i'm no longer putting off doing my taxes.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 10:22 am:   

OK people, I will admit that Bon Jovi is not glam rock [http://home.earthlink.net/~apawlo/glam.html] (i.e. New York Dolls, Mott the Hoople, Gary Glitter, Bowie, etc.) but I said glam metal [http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/4214/glam.html] (i.e. Cinderella, Ratt, Motley Crue, White Lion, etc.) which Bon Jovi is a part of despite not being from the West Coast. Glam metal being anyone who said they were a 'metal' band (I was there, I read Circus and Hit Parader religiously when I was in middle school!) but had a perm and wore spandex. Hmmm, sound like Jon Bon Jovi.

To be fair, the high school cover band I was in played "Runaway" and "Livin' on a Prayer" as well as other glam metal songs. We were 14/15 and that was what was cool.

I'm much better now. No words yet other than this. Researching data issues and taking part in conference calls.

JK

BTW: I don't support the ideas put forward by either of these sites; that being their time period/musical genre was the only important one ever. Just using them to show how I'm discerning the two groups of bands in my head.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 11:17 am:   

John -- I'm glad you made the vital distinction between glam rock and glam metal. I'm with you, man. I remember Circus magazine!

I was more of a Crowded House/Bruce Springsteen/Cure kind of late '80s dude, myself.

I even had an electric guitar back in the day, but damn, I never learned to play!

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 11:31 am:   

I have to embarassingly admit that, with the exception of Nelson, I own/owned an album by every band on the glam metal page (never learned what happened to my Sleez Beez).

JK

KJ Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   

Ok, then I'll own up to having played guitar in an all-girl Guns n' Roses wannabe cover band. I say wannabe because we never made it out of the garage. I still have my guitar, but it's been so long since I've played it that I doubt I could even play Smoke on the Water now...
I owned every album by Motley Crue - heck, there were only five or something - but when vinyl changed to CD I didn't replace most of them.
I did replace all my Alice Cooper albums, though. Can't go around bereft of Alice.

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 03:52 pm:   

Still disagree -- there's a difference between "hair band" and "glam." "Hair" was something rather 80's rocker specific. However, I'm willing to allow people their confusion.

Gracious of me, innit? ;-D

On-topic, 400 words during a meeting this morning, and another 200 on the scene during the commute home. Plan to knock out at least 500 more by crash-time.

mark siegel
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 08:47 pm:   

wasted another 1,000 finishing the crappy story; showed it to martens, who agreed it was crappy. i KNEW THAT, but i can't stand to leave things unfinished. spent the next three hours writing a brief for a law firm with no actual totem. greg: goldberg&osborn is the eagle, wolf is the wolf, i'm now head pi litigator at phillips & assoc., where i have suggested scrooge mcduck as a totem, but, fotunately, been perceived as a joker.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 07:14 am:   

Wow -- an all-girl GnR cover band! My 19-year-old self would've died and gone to heaven back in '89!

I'm just surprised more hair bands didn't get lit up like Michael Jackson did, becoming their own pyrotechnic special effect... Think of the ozone depletion from all those cans of hair spray!

Mark -- your caps lock key is giving me fits... ;)

mark siegel
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 09:49 am:   

caps lock key? i'm just lazy. getting a finger all the way over the the shift could cause me to spill my drink.
the owl is apparently back up in the tree. carole goes outside every night and sings a medley of song lyrics to it, like "whoooo are you, who who." two voices now respond. both owls, i hope.

JeffV
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 10:05 am:   

1,100 Monday
1,800 at lunch today

I'm going to keep posting because this really is acting as a goad for me to keep on track. The quantity is going down, but I think this is just a little lull.

JeffV

Mike Jasper
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 11:48 am:   

I'm glad this is a good motivator for you, Jeff -- it is for me, too. Just knowing I'd have to post here gets me writing, even if it's just a few words here and there.

ALSO -- I'm started a new thread for the Dare. This one was getting too long.

Go here: April Dare, Part 2

mark siegel
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 10:56 am:   

just shoot me: finally got on the new computer to do some writing last night and discovered the installer had come back in to do some work while i was out of town and "reinstalled" all my files from the old computer -- over the new ones -- erasing all the work i had done in the interim. and then, yes, the back-up disk failed. so i've lost about 20 pages and my will to live.

Mike
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 12:40 pm:   

Mark -- I can send you the pages you emailed me, if that helps. That sucks, man!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration